So tell me about satellite radio

no-logic

• Members

Pro's -

the music channels are free from ads.

you get the benefit of being exposed to music that you might otherwise not encounter.

lots of variety.

sports coverage.

don't have to chase stations if you're traveling long distances.

Con's -

not free.

compressed - your iPod will sound better.

talk channels have ads.

I had Sirius for 4 or 5 years and loved it! As I got nicer car stereos, I discovered that the compression compromised the sound more than I was willing to accept and it was eventually replaced with an iPod.

• Members

Pro's -

the music channels are free from ads.

you get the benefit of being exposed to music that you might otherwise not encounter.

lots of variety.

sports coverage.

don't have to chase stations if you're traveling long distances.

Con's -

not free.

compressed - your iPod will sound better.

talk channels have ads.

I had Sirius for 4 or 5 years and loved it! As I got nicer car stereos, I discovered that the compression compromised the sound more than I was willing to accept and
it was eventually replaced with an iPod.

+1

After listening to Sirius/XM for a year during the merger I did this as well. For me there were no channels that fit my style. The tolerable ones got phased out with the merger and I just lost intrest the last few weeks. I will say its better than FM radio though.

Get a nice Belkin or Sony Bluetooth stereo face with an AUX jack and put your ipod on random. Also with the Bluetooth I can use my Blackberry which has Pandora which is REALLY cool feature.

• Members

This is just my own personal grumpy opinion.

When I started with XM a few years ago, there was a station called Music Lab (tag lines: For musicians only. & You've been warned, so don't complain.) I loved that station. :love: Discovered a lot of really interesting music. Deep playlists. Then it went away. Bastards!

So then there was Beyond Jazz (that was pretty good) & Fine Tuning (absolutely any type of music). Gone and gone. And Deep Tracks doesn't seem as deep as it used to be. Nothing seems deep any more.

There were several radio theatre channels, but now it's just a single "vintage radio" channel.

They took away Music Lab, but there is a Bruce Springstein 24/7 channel? Screw XM. :mad: My subscription is up soon and I'm done with 'em.

• Members

Sound quality ^^^ What they said. Not even stereo from what I can tell (mono on several channels).

However, my daughter lives in Colorado and we visit often. XM is the only station we can pick up consistently. Nothing FM, nothing AM. Have a good, strong signal? Make a turn around a mountain and lose it for fifteen minutes. :facepalm: We'll stick to XM.

I also carry my Slacker whenever I travel. Listen all day, refresh songs via WiFi at night when recharging. Much better sound quality, too.

• Members

I've got XM because, as a truck driver who runs in very rural areas, I like to still have something to listen to. I get sick of surfing and surfing and surfing for channels of AM or FM. For me, Boneyard works fine for music most of the time, though I do get tired of the playlist at times. I also use Hair Nation (though not for very long stretches of time) and Classic Rewind(ditto), and at times get hooked by Willie Nelson's channel that runs the kind of country my dad grew up on. I don't always have a truck with an auxiliary input, so using my mp3 player through the truck's audio isn't always an option. There are a few political channels that I sometimes listen to, depending on who's on--but I get sick of the ads which run as dense as AM radio. There is also a particular Catholic station I sometimes like. Other times, it can put me to sleep. Truckers don't need sleepy radio!

If you use the stock antennae, heavy rain or snow may cause interference. You can buy a fancier one for about a hundred bucks but it will look funny on your Honda Civic. It's meant to mirror-mount on semis and gets much better reception.

What's the Slacker and Pandora all 'boot??

• Members

I just decommisioned my Delphi SkiFi receiver with home and car kit. I loved xm for the first couple of years but as my iPod library grew, I just quit using it. And they raised the fees. So I just turned it off since I wasn't using it. Wondering if I should sell the gear of offer it in the gear swap thread.

• Members

I just decommisioned my Delphi SkiFi receiver with home and car kit. I loved xm for the first couple of years but as my iPod library grew, I just quit using it. And they raised the fees. So I just turned it off since I wasn't using it. Wondering if I should sell the gear of offer it in the gear swap thread.

Sell/swap would be a good idea if it's not gettin' any love at your place.

• Members

I do a ton of long-distance driving and I generally like to listen to talk radio when I do so. For me, Sirius was a life-saver. I love it and can't imagine heading out on a long drive without it.

This is what I loved about satellite radio - long drives. Especially headed home through Wyoming. That, and there's tons of music on Sirius/XM that you just don't get outside of major metro areas, IMO. But then again, I'm known to like crappy music, so my standards are probably well below the forum's average. ;) Unfortunately, my trial subscription ran out in my car, and since it's not mine, I didn't renew it.

Now, if Slacker would let other smartphones (other than Blackberry) do the caching music thing, I'd have no more lust for satellite radio.

$.02

• Members

My mother in-law was a big fan of xm. She recently passed and I have all this xm gear I'm not going to use. My company car has xm built in so I don't need it. I love the comedy channels!

I think I have a pioneer xmp3, it's portable and with the home and car kit. Umm she also had a boombox with skyfi to listen at home. I'll go list it or pm me if anyones interested...

• Members

Howard Stern is worth the price of admission alone.

If you stream online, you can stream in CD quality - but this costs $2.99 extra per month. In fact, if you just want to try Sirius, you can get an internet-only subscription and just cancel it if you don't like it. I believe there's a free trial period if you will have time to sit down and listen.

• Members

Slacker is free after you buy the unit, and has a massive playlist (at least when compared to XM). I dropped XM/Sirius after I lost almost every station I liked to listen to. The free Slacker subscription only gives you 6 song skips per hour, but that's 6 more than I got with XM, and changing the station is effectively a song skip anyway.

I paid $79 for my 8-gig Slacker on Woot and haven't regretted it once. Better sound quality, bigger song selection, and it "learns" what I like, just like Pandora. I don't get live DJs but I really don't care.

• Members

Did so, now I'm in da know!
:thu:

Now, think Pandora that you can take with you. That would be Slacker. Portable mp3 device that you download whenever, either through computer or WiFi in motels. You don't worry about reception because you aren't "receiving," simply playing back. 5-6 skips per hour per channel. Up to 40 channels, though I have only six channels for about nine months now. Like Pandora, you can "save" songs permanently or you can "ban" songs permanently. You have to refresh your songs every 30 days, but you can do it almost daily through WiFi.

• Members

Now, think Pandora that you can take with you. That would be Slacker. Portable mp3 device that you download whenever, either through computer or WiFi in motels. You don't worry about reception because you aren't "receiving," simply playing back. 5-6 skips per hour per channel. Up to 40 channels, though I have only six channels for about nine months now. Like Pandora, you can "save" songs permanently or you can "ban" songs permanently. You have to refresh your songs every 30 days, but you can do it almost daily through WiFi.

i read recently that slacker is not going to produce devices anymore and putting their focus entirely on being the content provider. mainly due to all of the smartphones out there that can be used instead.

both slacker and pandora have apps for iphone/android/etc

Archived