Do Stingrays typically sound better in Series or parallel?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

okay.....which position defines that classic Stingray tone?

I'm going to say parallel as historically the Sterling has the 3 way switch, where the Stingray doesn't have the ability to be anything but parallel as stock.

That may be different now that some rays have more than one pup and other features, but the classic Stingray sound can only be parallel.

Now of the 3 options on a Sterling (or a 'ray loaded with the same feature) the correct answer is "whichever one sounds best to your ears."

I mean, you're after the anti-tone right? Only you know what that really sounds like. :poke:

• Members

I'm going to say parallel as historically the Sterling has the 3 way switch, where the Stingray doesn't have the ability to be anything but parallel as stock.

That may be different now that some rays have more than one pup and other features, but the classic
Stingray
sound can only be parallel.

Now of the 3 options on a Sterling (or a 'ray loaded with the same feature) the correct answer is "whichever one sounds best to your ears."

I mean, you're after the anti-tone right? Only you know what that really sounds like. :poke:

Parallel is stock, eh?

To me parallel sounds like a beefy snappy jazz bass with both pickups at 100% volumes.

Series is really brash, in your face, fatter and middier.

:thu:

I think they offer the Stingray with 3 way now?

with the 3rd dummy coil. :o

• Members

Don't you have a Stingray?
:confused:

yep. :D

I'm trying to figure out what that classic stingray tone is.....

...since I'm slightly disappointed in mine.

It sounds a little "flat". :o

to me it sounds like a lackluster upper midrange?

I'm going to try some stainless strings and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I'm trying to decide if I want to try a John East 4 band preamp......since I got the bass without the original electronics.

• Members

That may be different now that some rays have more than one pup and other features, but the classic
Stingray
sound can only be parallel.

+1 That would be what I would go with. :thu:

• Members

The regular Stingray only has one setting, its in Parallel. Any classic Stingray sound you hear on records is in Parallel. Stingray 5's and Sterlings have the ability to switch between parallel, series and single coil mode. Sterlings have ceramic pickups, and until recently Stingrary V's did as well. Now Stingray V's have Alnico pickups just like a Stingray.

• Members

yep.
:D

I'm trying to figure out what that classic stingray tone is.....

...since I'm slightly disappointed in mine.

It sounds a little "flat".
:o
to me it sounds like a lackluster upper midrange?

I'm going to try some stainless strings and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I'm trying to decide if I want to try a John East 4 band preamp......since I got the bass without the original electronics.

You got a HH right? Are you playing over the back pickup? Playing closer to bridge will get that great midrange-y "whatever you want to call it" tone. But closer to the neck and it gets a little less defined.

And while were at it

:p (Yes I realize i post this in every Stingray thread)

• Members

You got a HH right? Are you playing over the back pickup? Playing closer to bridge will get that great midrange-y "whatever you want to call it" tone. But closer to the neck and it gets a little less defined.

Yes. So much of the sound people think of when they think "Stingray" comes from playing right over the pickup, which is really close to the bridge. Really driving, bright and grindy.

I generally play my Stingrays much closer to the neck; it still cuts through, but much of the nasal quality is gone.

Like any other bass, hand position is huge.

• Members

Yes. So much of the sound people think of when they think "Stingray" comes from playing right over the pickup, which is really close to the bridge. Really driving, bright and grindy.

I generally play my Stingrays much closer to the neck; it still cuts through, but much of the nasal quality is gone.

Like any other bass, hand position is huge.

I tend to play closer to the neck too......I prefer those fatter round tones.

I'd pick right in front of my fretting hand if it were comfortable.

• Members

...since I got the bass without the original electronics.

Well, there's your problem! The electronics really are what make the MM sound.

And...you didn't mention it was an SR5. IIRC, SR5's have the same electronics as a Sterling, not a Stingray (kinda odd, I know). Without looking up all of the info I can't be positive...but I think the Sterling has a ceramic pickup as does the SR5, but an SR4 has an alnico pickup.

You can check for yourself at www.Musicmanbass.org

• Members

Okay, so you got your Stingray 5 modded with a Duncan humbucker and the Duncan preamp and no 3 way switch. I bet that it was set such that the humbucker was in parallel only when you got it- in other words, as you got it would actually be like standard 4 string Stingray electronics but with Duncan stuff. You added a switch for Parallel/Single/Series, I would think that should be fine. I would expect that if there was going to be hum (due to lack of a dummy coil) it would do so in the single coil mode. The easiest way to tell if your pickup has a dummy coil or not is to flip the thing over and look. The dummy coil is literally another single coil attached to the back- its pretty obvious if it's there or not.

Assuming you wired in the switch fine, maybe you just don't like the sound of the pickup and/or preamp. You might try a stock SR5 and see if you like that sound so you have something to compare to...

Archived