Boss DD-20 Vs. Line6 DL4

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade my Delay pedal soon, well ASAP actually cause my delay just died completely.

I played through the DD-20 in a store the day before yesterday and absolutely loved it, but I'm considering all my options.

Anyone have experience with both and can give me some ideas of pros and cons from each side?

Cheers :)

• Members

I love the DL4, particularly the loop functions and the ease in dialing in good delays. That being said, the reliability of them is questionable at best. I've owned 2, both of which died fairly quickly for the cost (within 2 years), and the same is true for the others I've known who owned them.

Let me make a case for the TC Electronic Nova Repeater. This is one of the best sounding digital delays I've ever played. Its what I replaced my second DL4 with. It has a tap tempo, which is hard to find in this price range. You can do pretty much any delay effect that is present on the other pedals, and the analog simulations are very solid. It also has an audio tapping function, I haven't used it very much, yet, but conceptually I love it. If you can't get the tempo just right stomping, hold down the tap tempo button and do a measure of muted thumps on your strings to set the tempo.

I'm getting a Line6 M9 soon, which probably should replace the repeater, but I'm honestly considering holding onto it just because it works that well.

• Members

I used to own the DD20, and it was a nice piece of gear. it also has presets, but you have to set it into preset mode, and scroll through them, rather than having direct access, ala the DL4. You can use a FS5 or 6 footswitch to control tap tempo and various other functions, which is a nice bit of additional functionality. It's built to Boss spec, so it's tough, and really sounded very nice.

I ended up ditching it for a Line 6 M9- Same delay FX, plus all the other stuff, more memory locations, and I can use the M9 as a stand alone for bass gigs, or in the loop for guitar stuff. I traded the DD20 and the dual switch loop station for it. Hardware is solid (they've made great strides since the -4 series), and you get essentially all of the -4 series pedals in one unit, plus some new FX not on any of them. Price here is Boss $230, DL4 $250, M9 $399. Guitar Center was doing a special where you got 15% off the purchase price PLUS trade in value for old gear. For a while it was BOSS pedal specific @ a 20% discount, so I got my M9 for $167 plus trades.

• Members

I used to own the DD20, and it was a nice piece of gear. it also has presets, but you have to set it into preset mode, and scroll through them, rather than having direct access, ala the DL4. You can use a FS5 or 6 footswitch to control tap tempo and various other functions, which is a nice bit of additional functionality. It's built to Boss spec, so it's tough, and really sounded very nice.

I ended up ditching it for a Line 6 M9- Same delay FX, plus all the other stuff, more memory locations, and I can use the M9 as a stand alone for bass gigs, or in the loop for guitar stuff. I traded the DD20 and the dual switch loop station for it. Hardware is solid (they've made great strides since the -4 series), and you get essentially all of the -4 series pedals in one unit, plus some new FX not on any of them. Price here is Boss $230, DL4 $250, M9 $399. Guitar Center was doing a special where you got 15% off the purchase price PLUS trade in value for old gear. For a while it was BOSS pedal specific @ a 20% discount, so I got my M9 for $167 plus trades.

Thanks for your input :thu:

I think I am going to go for the DD-20, I like Boss pedals, like you said, they're tough... and they have a 5 year warranty. I REALLY like the look of the TC Electronic Nova Repeater, but unfortunately it doesn't run on batteries, which is a must for me for busking....

• Members

Keep in mind that one is a Line 6 and the other one isn't. Not that all Line 6 gear is a total piece of {censored} that will quit working sooner rather than later, just most of it.

I suspect that your views do not reflect that of the masses. I've owned a ton of L6 gear in the past and not had an issue with a single one yet.

• Members

I suspect that your views do not reflect that of the masses. I've owned a ton of L6 gear in the past and not had an issue with a single one yet.

It depends on your idea of masses. You are right if we include every guitar player out there - bedroom players, young players, etc. However, if we keep it really good players that gig consistently and need really good, reliable gear then the masses would indeed reflect the fact that Line 6 has some real quality issues in comparison to other major brands. I tried a POD and it died after a year of just studio use. One of my local stores dropped Line 6 because of endless quality issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can go buy a pedal and for the most part it will work and sound ok just don't expect it to last as long as a Boss or almost any other quality pedal (I'll leave boutique pedals out of the scenario).

• Members

It depends on your idea of masses. You are right if we include every guitar player out there - bedroom players, young players, etc. However, if we keep it really good players that gig consistently and need really good, reliable gear then the masses would indeed reflect the fact that Line 6 has some real quality issues in comparison to other major brands. I tried a POD and it died after a year of just studio use. One of my local stores dropped Line 6 because of endless quality issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can go buy a pedal and for the most part it will work and sound ok just don't expect it to last as long as a Boss or almost any other quality pedal (I'll leave boutique pedals out of the scenario).

Ugh, don't even get me started on the quality of Boss pedals. I destroy Boss pedals quicker than fatties destroy hoagies. The only Boss pedal I've ever had that was able to make it through even 3 months worth of gigging (and I don't have a very demanding gigging schedule) is the DS-1, and that shouldn't even count, because it sounds like {censored}. I've killed two of the Line6 DL4 pedals as well, but they held out a lot longer than most of the Boss stuff I've tried.

None of which actually means anything, because my pedal is always just one out of thousands made. Mine dying doesn't mean yours will.

• Members

Ugh, don't even get me started on the quality of Boss pedals. I destroy Boss pedals quicker than fatties destroy hoagies. The only Boss pedal I've ever had that was able to make it through even 3 months worth of gigging (and I don't have a very demanding gigging schedule) is the DS-1, and that shouldn't even count, because it sounds like {censored}. I've killed two of the Line6 DL4 pedals as well, but they held out a lot longer than most of the Boss stuff I've tried.

None of which actually means anything, because my pedal is always just one out of thousands made. Mine dying doesn't mean yours will.

I'm not saying that Boss is great all I'm saying is that Line 6 is particularly not great.

• Members

all I'm saying is that Line 6 is particularly not great.

I don't necessarily agree. The DL4 has some issues, for sure, but at the same time, there is a reason it is the most used delay pedal on the market.

Other than yourself, I've heard no stories of reliability issues with anything from the POD line.

• Members

I've heard the same for the DL4 in-terms of it dying early. If you read the reviews on this site it says it all. However, the guitarist in my band has one that he's gigged/toured with over the last three or four years. He doesn't use a pedalboard, he just throws all his gear in a milk crate and he swears by them.

I had a DD20, and it is a very reliable pedal. However switching delays on the fly is pain, but if you only use on type of delay in a single song you'll have little trouble. It's a great pedal if you aren't trying to be Minus the Bear is what I'm getting at.

• Members

I don't necessarily agree. The DL4 has some issues, for sure, but at the same time, there is a reason it is the most used delay pedal on the market.

Other than yourself, I've heard no stories of reliability issues with anything from the POD line

I own the original Pod, first gen, was the first in town to get one, literally. It's still kicking and it's seen all kinds of use and abuse, at home, live and in the studio.

Archived