Punkbass build thread, part 1

mlwarriner

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Initially, I was planning to finish the sanding job and refinish the bass. Probably all black, maybe with some pinstriping or accents. Unsure.

Then I realized how much I liked seeing bassists with stickers all over their basses. I don't know why, I just like it. So I spent some time and money on punktopia.com and ordered a bag full of stickers.

• Members

So the other night, I got out the stickers, the x-acto knife and the scissors, and here's what happened:

100_0083.jpg

100_0081.jpg

100_0082.jpg

100_0084.jpg

All of the stickers are bands that I dig, a lot. Old-school punk/hardcore bands mostly. Not necessarily stuff I grew up on, but stuff that I dig the {censored} out of now. I'm sort of a latecomer to the punk/hardcore scene...

• Members

I've still got a Descendents bumper sticker I'm trying to decide where to place. I thought about putting it on the back, but then it's rarely seen. Plus I've got some other plans for the back of the bass.

I also thought about running it down the fretboard, and cutting it at each fret so it's only on the wood and not over the frets. But still not sure...

Regardless, next step is a high-gloss enamel clearcoat over the stickers to protect them from sweat and scratches and peeling and whatever.

• Members

Electronically, it's going to be a fully-passive standard Jazz. I'll be ordering the Nordstrand pups and other bits probably tomorrow. I've done some research, some digging, and asked a {censored}-ton of questions. I really think the Nords are going to be the best setup for me. And there are few things I like more in this world than the sound of a killer jazz bass.

• Members

Bitchin!

A little to planned out for my taste but still awesome.

I love that Bad Brains sticker right at the bottom of the fretboard. Its gonna be sick looking at the Op Ivy one every time you put it on. :thu:

Also, I'd think about taking off the bridge and tuners and spraying them flat black to match. Just rough them up with some heavy sand paper first.

• Members

Bitchin!

A little to planned out for my taste but still awesome.

I love that Bad Brains sticker right at the bottom of the fretboard. Its gonna be sick looking at the Op Ivy one every time you put it on.
:thu:

Also, I'd think about taking off the bridge and tuners and spraying them flat black to match. Just rough them up with some heavy sand paper first.

eventually, all of the hardware will be black. maybe by my hands, maybe i'll just order new stuff...

• Moderators

i don't know where the problem is. do i just desolder everything and start over???

I can't see that hurting if it is already broken. The first thing I'd look for is somewhere in the signal path where the signal is shorting to ground, whether it is the jack contacting the shielding or one of the internal wires.

Is the bass just totally dead? It is highly unlikely you lost a pickup, but to lose two pickups simultaneously would be next to impossible.

• Members

Ya know, when you first started talking about stickering that bass, I thought you had lost your mind. After seeing it done, I see what you had in mind. I think it is going to turn out sweet. Great job!!
:thu:

thanks. it's not quite as perfect as i'd hoped it would be, but it works. i had to do a {censored}-ton of cutting on the stickers to get that many to fit on there, but i think it works. hopefully i can get a good clearcoat on it to hold them down and protect them...

Archived