Seeking basic advice to buy my first bass guitar

Li Shenron

• Members

Hello all,

I am a guitarist who knows very little about bass guitars. In a few weeks or couple of months at most, I will be buying a very cheap bass (let's say up to 200e) for the purpose of filling the vacant spot of bass player in my band and record low-quality demos of our compositions directly into some kind of home recording equipment (read: a mean laptop or desktop :p ).

What I am going to do is visit a few of the music stores downtown and check out personally all bass guitars in my limited price range. I will rely on my ears to guess which of them sound decent enough, and on my hands to check for comfort/discomfort in the bass' fretboard and body shape.

However, I'd like to know from you bassists what else should I keep an eye open for, to be sure I don't regret the purchase later. Things like common defects to check or construction weaknesses that may make playing harder or uncomfortable later for example, or may result in sound problems or even breakage. When buying a guitar I have my own things to check out, particularly in the bridge system but also on the fretboard, but I wonder what you guys would mostly check in a bass. Anything that you generally believe could make you unsatisfied later, except the general "sound" of it which is obviously something I won't forget to check ;) but at the same time I assume can't be the particularly beautiful due to the limited budget.

Thanks for any tip you want to share :wave:

BTW, I am still undecided even between p-bass and j-bass, I have to understand the sound difference first.

• Members

Hello all,

I am a guitarist who knows very little about bass guitars. In a few weeks or couple of months at most, I will be buying a very cheap bass (let's say up to 200e) for the purpose of filling the vacant spot of bass player in my band and record low-quality demos of our compositions directly into some kind of home recording equipment (read: a mean laptop or desktop
:p
).

What I am going to do is visit a few of the music stores downtown and check out personally all bass guitars in my limited price range. I will rely on my ears to guess which of them sound decent enough, and on my hands to check for comfort/discomfort in the bass' fretboard and body shape.

However, I'd like to know from you bassists what else should I keep an eye open for, to be sure I don't regret the purchase later. Things like common defects to check or construction weaknesses that may make playing harder or uncomfortable later for example, or may result in sound problems or even breakage. When buying a guitar I have my own things to check out, particularly in the bridge system but also on the fretboard, but I wonder what you guys would mostly check in a bass. Anything that you generally believe could make you unsatisfied later, except the general "sound" of it which is obviously something I won't forget to check
;)
but at the same time I assume can't be the particularly beautiful due to the limited budget.

Thanks for any tip you want to share
:wave:

BTW, I am still undecided even between p-bass and j-bass, I have to understand the sound difference first.

Sounds like you are on the right track. The things to look for are the same really.

As for P and J differences . A P pup has thick low mids. as well as lots of lows. A J has lots of lows and a more high mid "grindy" tone with the bridge pup. I prefer a P/J set up myself

• Members

One thing you may or may not be aware of, being a guitar player, the tone of a bass changes RADICALLY depending on the age and condition, brand and type of the strings, WAY more so than with guitar.

The more prominent factors being age and condition. Dont worry about brand so much when you are checking out a used bass, most likely you wont be able to tell. Just be aware of whether they are flat wound or round wound, as these two differences will make a bass sound alot different.

Point is, you will never really be able to appreciate the full potential of the sound and tone of a bass if it has old dead cruddy strings on it.

You could EASILY determine that a bass you are interested in is a piece of crap because it sounds dead and lifeless when actually it might be an awesome bass with old crappy strings.

First thing I do when I walk up to a bass I am interested in is check the newness of the strings. I can actually just TOUCH a bass and get a good idea of the life left in the strings that are on it. I do this by wiping my hands up or down the string in a quick "wiping" ,otion, and then when I remove my hands, the amount of crispness, and brightness, tone and duration that they continue to ring after my hand is off of them will tell me most of what I need to know about the strings on that bass.

Brand new strings should sound, when you do the wiping thing, like what you would imagine someone monkying around the inside of a piano to sound like. Real crisp and bright with alot of sustain. Old strings will just sound really dull, they kill all the sympathetic vibrations throughout the bass so the whole bass will feel dull and lifeless as a result.

Of course all this is unplugged before you even amplify the bass, as what you hear when plugged in will be even more noticable.

The whole point of this advice is to tell you NOT to overlook a bass you might be really interested in if you think it sounds really dull without considering the strings. You may pass a really great bass by as a result. Ask the seller about the possibility of putting brand new strings on it so you can hear it in all its potential. dont expect much from this though. Strings are expensive and most p[eople will probably not be willing to do it for you.

There are aqll sorts of other things to look for, but most of the rest are just similar things you would look for in an electric guitar. Make sure the neck is stright, especially not twisted, no cracks in the neck, fingerboard, headstock, body, etc, amke sure you are satisfied with the condition of all the electronics, pots, pups, knobs, output jack, everything works and is not scratchy or noisy, etc.

Srtings are the thing that make a huge difference that most guitarists wont be aware of, because the difference is so much more than it is with a guitar.

Lastly, buy a bass that feels good in your hands, Obviously, and also buy one that you really like the looks of too.

• Members

Hello all,

A J bass can make large variety of different tones you can work with. The P bass makes basically one tone that seems to work with anything you play. As mentrioned above by DaveAronow, strings will make a huge difference so you have to take this in account when judging what you like. A good setup will also radically effect the "feel" of the instrument.

• Members

Brand new strings should sound, when you do the wiping thing, like what you would imagine someone monkying around the inside of a piano to sound like. Real crisp and bright with alot of sustain. Old strings will just sound really dull, they kill all the sympathetic vibrations throughout the bass so the whole bass will feel dull and lifeless as a result.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this point... I can't stand the zingy/ringy nature of new strings and like a more mellow, low-fi tone. I think the string thing all depends on personal preference, really.

That said, the advice here is good. One other thing to be aware of is Js usually have smaller necks than Ps so moving from guitar to bass might be more comfortable on a J. The P/J basses generally have J necks but you're not really buying a J at that point. They're more like a P with a twist.

If I were you I'd look for a Squier Vintage modified or Classic Vibe. Not sure what they are in Euros, but they're below $350 new and can be found for about $150 used.

• Members

I'm on the other side of the fence on this point... I can't stand the zingy/ringy nature of new strings and like a more mellow, low-fi tone. I think the string thing all depends on personal preference, really.

That said, the advice here is good. One other thing to be aware of is Js usually have smaller necks than Ps so moving from guitar to bass might be more comfortable on a J. The P/J basses generally have J necks but you're not really buying a J at that point. They're more like a P with a twist.

If I were you I'd look for a Squier Vintage modified or Classic Vibe. Not sure what they are in Euros, but they're below $350 new and can be found for about $150 used.

Yeas, there is the whole other side of this which is whether or not you actually LIKE a bright tone, I know dudes that will go as long as they can without changing strings, years if they can get away with it because they like the more dull, warmer tone which is all just a matter of personal preference.

Its just that he will never know what the bass is capable of starting off with dead strings. You can dial alot of the brightness out of new strings if you want , but you can never make dead strings sound like new ones without some major processing help. So it is just something for him to consider when bass shopping.

• Members

One thing you may or may not be aware of, being a guitar player, the tone of a bass changes RADICALLY depending on the age and condition, brand and type of the strings, WAY more so than with guitar.

The more prominent factors being age and condition. Dont worry about brand so much when you are checking out a used bass, most likely you wont be able to tell. Just be aware of whether they are flat wound or round wound, as these two differences will make a bass sound alot different.

Point is, you will never really be able to appreciate the full potential of the sound and tone of a bass if it has old dead cruddy strings on it.

You could EASILY determine that a bass you are interested in is a piece of crap because it sounds dead and lifeless when actually it might be an awesome bass with old crappy strings.

First thing I do when I walk up to a bass I am interested in is check the newness of the strings. I can actually just TOUCH a bass and get a good idea of the life left in the strings that are on it. I do this by wiping my hands up or down the string in a quick "wiping" ,otion, and then when I remove my hands, the amount of crispness, and brightness, tone and duration that they continue to ring after my hand is off of them will tell me most of what I need to know about the strings on that bass.

Of course all this is unplugged before you even amplify the bass, as what you hear when plugged in will be even more noticable.

The whole point of this advice is to tell you NOT to overlook a bass you might be really interested in if you think it sounds really dull without considering the strings. You may pass a really great bass by as a result. Ask the seller about the possibility of putting brand new strings on it so you can hear it in all its potential. dont expect much from this though. Strings are expensive and most p[eople will probably not be willing to do it for you.

There are aqll sorts of other things to look for, but most of the rest are just similar things you would look for in an electric guitar. Make sure the neck is stright, especially not twisted, no cracks in the neck, fingerboard, headstock, body, etc, amke sure you are satisfied with the condition of all the electronics, pots, pups, knobs, output jack, everything works and is not scratchy or noisy, etc.

Srtings are the thing that make a huge difference that most guitarists wont be aware of, because the difference is so much more than it is with a guitar.

Lastly, buy a bass that feels good in your hands, Obviously, and also buy one that you really like the looks of too.

Nice post!:)

• Members

All excellent info so far...especially the string info. I've been saying that for years...and sometimes all it takes to make a bass sound awesome is a change of strings.

I'm not sure about pricing over there, but a nice inexpensive bass to try out would be any of the Squier Vintage Modified series instruments. I think they offer a very good price/quality ratio that is tough to beat. I own some nice stuff and I'd still gladly rock one out...

Oh...and don't take any {censored} from that laptop or desktop :)

• Members

Also, if you have any suggestions about instructional material for learning the basics, I'll appreciate them too :thu:

Consider that I have been playing the guitar since 17 years ago, so I certainly don't need to read about fretboard layout, scales, theory, and anything else that is generically about music. Also I don't probably need a book of exercises, since I think I can port many from the guitar and then create my own.

What I definitely need instead is solid information about the basic posture and movements of hands and fingers, which are certainly different compared to the guitar. The fundamentals of bass technique, essentially. I can certainly find a lot of bass videos from youtube, but there is a lot of contradicting information and different styles. So I would rather like to hear your own suggestions (particularly on books, which I prefer) on some instructional material that would help me understand which postures and motions are right for me, and stick to them. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to immediately develop bad habits or constantly change from one posture to another without making a choice.

I'm not really going to switch from guitar to bass, so I'm not thinking about developing any skill that any of you would consider "good" :p But I do want to try at least to learn the real basics properly, so that I don't "fake" it too much when recording those demo tracks.

• Members

I was planning on checking up both new and used basses, but I don't understand if there was a hint against 2nd-hand ones in you comments...

Used stuff is where it's at! All of my basses have been purchased used. You can get a much better deal...more expensive stuff for less money. I would just recommend heading to the store to try out everything they got in stock...new and used. Play it all...in your price range or not. That way you can get a good idea what you like and have an easier time trying to locate it on the used market if that's what you decide to do.

• Members

I would just recommend heading to the store to try out everything they got in stock...new and used. Play it all...in your price range or not. That way you can get a good idea what you like and have an easier time trying to locate it on the used market if that's what you decide to do.

That would certainly be a good idea, but I might not have that much time. Shops over here always have at least 20-30 basses each... But I'm not in a rush, we aren't going to start recording until a couple of months more so let's see.

• Members

One other thing to be aware of is Js usually have smaller necks than Ps so moving from guitar to bass might be more comfortable on a J. The P/J basses generally have J necks but you're not really buying a J at that point. They're more like a P with a twist.

A P neck is as wide at the nut as a Stratocaster neck, a J neck is narrower.

• Members

That would certainly be a good idea, but I might not have that much time. Shops over here always have at least 20-30 basses each... But I'm not in a rush, we aren't going to start recording until a couple of months more so let's see.

I'm confused. You say you might not have enough time to try out some basses at the local store, then proceed to say you're not in a rush and you don't need it for a couple of months?

I'm just saying take a day and go to a store and play what they have to see what you want.

• Members

I'm confused. You say you might not have enough time to try out some basses at the local store, then proceed to say you're not in a rush and you don't need it for a couple of months?

I'm just saying take a day and go to a store and play what they have to see what you want.

It's not that you need to know the details, but rather than leaving you confused... :p

I don't have time to go to a shop and try all their basses because it takes a few hours to do so, and I don't have much time for visiting shops because I have a daily job and 2 toddlers, so I have to be at home asap after work. The best I can get is probably about an hour every few days (maybe once a week is more realistic), when the toddlers just happen to be giving an easy day to my wife at home and I can therefore stay downtown a little longer. Unfortunately the music shops are closed on saturdays over here :facepalm:. OTOH the recordings won't start until we decide to, so in that sense I'm not in a rush for buying the bass before a specific date, although I am wishing to start practicing soon. That's all.

I am certainly going to try as many basses as I can, but it's better for me to narrow down the choice (price range already does that a lot) and also not to be overly picky, considering that what I will do with that bass after all will always be pretty limited :)

• Members

Also, if you have any suggestions about instructional material for learning the basics, I'll appreciate them too
:thu:

Youtube.

It is free.

There is enough bass instructional info there, that if they never uploaded another video, you might be able to get through all of it if you lived a few hundred years.

Did I mention, its free?

• Members

If you are price minded, and still want a J/P setup with a thin comfortable neck, strap on an Ibanez soundgear bass. Anything with the numbers larger than, say 400. You will find what you seek there.

+1

I switched to Bass as my main insrument in bands about 6 months ago. Bought a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass...hated it. I'm not a Strat guy, and Fender Basses are just big strats. The Ibanez Soungear Basses have thinner necks like a Jazz bass, and the strings are a little closer together. That made the transition much easier for me.

Look at it this way...is a couple hours in a music store finding out what you actually like worth the hassle of returning something you don't? You are looking at spending at least $300, isn't a couple hours of time at a shop worth making sure that $300 is well spent?

shuttle.jpg

• Members

Hi all, I just sneaked to the first shop and tried a few basses out. Damn you guys for suggesting the Ibanez Soundgear, it's GREAT :love: but it costs minimum 575e :facepalm: I really liked the sound of it, the feel in hand, and the settings knobs (although I didn't get the meaning of all 5 of them since the pickups are only 2). It was certainly the best among the ones I tried today, but it's practically 3 times my budget :cry:

edit: it was practically this one IBANEZ SR600-NTF, but had one tiny switch added between the knobs and the jack entrance 234461.jpg

I tried first another Ibanez the model of which I didn't get, it had a "TB" stylized symbol on the head. It sucked because of heavy string frizzling, first I thought it was me totally unable to play (I've probably picked up and try a bass only 3-4 times in my whole life before), but since I managed to play the following basses then I guess there must have been something wrong with the bridge, probably it set the strings too low to the fretboard, so I guess this trial doesn't count.

Within my price range I tried a Squier "Bronco" which frankly didn't feel good in hand and didn't sound good either, and another p-bass the name of which escapes me now, and that one was not bad at all, but perhaps a bit too large in size and heavy.

All these were new, they had some 2nd ones but looked like metal basses so I was a bit suspicious...

• Members

Here you go. 120 buck. It'll do the job just fine. I have one. All I had to do was tweak the truss rod slightly to elimate a sight buzz at the 2nd fret.

Even if you decide to upgrade any bits, your still way under $300.

More money for a GOOD AMP!

ursa3mnbk1.jpg

I second that... I just recieved this same bass last week.....:thu:

• Members

I'm not even gonna read the whole thread, cause I am sure you've gotten some great advice. Let me just add this: Play a lot of basses, and get the one that you enjoy playing, screw the price, technical specs, etc. If the instrument feels good, and sounds good to you, you'll play it more!

If it doesn't feel good or sound good to you, it's lust be another Ebay listing.

• Members

Hi all, I just sneaked to the first shop and tried a few basses out. Damn you guys for suggesting the Ibanez Soundgear, it's GREAT
:love:
but it costs minimum 575e
:facepalm:
I really liked the sound of it, the feel in hand, and the settings knobs (although I didn't get the meaning of all 5 of them since the pickups are only 2). It was certainly the best among the ones I tried today, but it's practically 3 times my budget
:cry:

I tried first another Ibanez the model of which I didn't get, it had a "TB" stylized symbol on the head. It sucked because of heavy string frizzling, first I thought it was me totally unable to play (I've probably picked up and try a bass only 3-4 times in my whole life before), but since I managed to play the following basses then I guess there must have been something wrong with the bridge, probably it set the strings too low to the fretboard, so I guess this trial doesn't count.

Within my price range I tried a Squier "Bronco" which frankly didn't feel good in hand and didn't sound good either, and another p-bass the name of which escapes me now, and that one was not bad at all, but perhaps a bit too large in size and heavy.

All these were new, they had some 2nd ones but looked like metal basses so I was a bit suspicious...

You can find a great supply of them with some good prices on the bay.

• Members

Great tips! I certainly didn't think about the strings, for a guitar they are less important, and they are cheaper.

I was planning on checking up both new and used basses, but I don't understand if there was a hint against 2nd-hand ones in you comments...

DR is the only way to go (ducks for cover as the arrows start flying) :eek:

Archived