guttermouth, and other electronic mad scientist types...

mlwarriner

• Members

i need an led. but not just any old led. i want one that's relatively large (say about 3/8" diameter), and that changes colors. and that i can run off of a single 9v battery. and mount in an empty control pot hole in a bass.

does such a monster exist? can you point me in the right direction of where?

• Moderators

What do you mean by "changes colors"? The only LED I know of that can do so is a red-green-amber LED, which is actually two LEDs in one: run the current one direction, you get red, run it the other direction, you get green, alternate and our eyes and brains see it as amber. 9 volts is plenty, but switching could be a problem.

What are you trying to do?

• Members

i need an led. but not just any old led. i want one that's relatively large (say about 3/8" diameter), and that changes colors. and that i can run off of a single 9v battery. and mount in an empty control pot hole in a bass.

does such a monster exist? can you point me in the right direction of where?

do you need it to change randomly or when you flip a switch or something?

• Members

do you need it to change randomly or when you flip a switch or something?

i want to put the LED in an empty pot hole on the punkbass. i went from a 4-knob active system to a 3-knob passive system. so i'm kicking around ideas on what to fill the spare hole with.

i thought an led that changed colors, either randomly, or on a cycle, would be cool. but if it's gonna be a PITA, i'll do something else.

• Members

i want to put the LED in an empty pot hole on the punkbass. i went from a 4-knob active system to a 3-knob passive system. so i'm kicking around ideas on what to fill the spare hole with.

i thought an led that changed colors, either randomly, or on a cycle, would be cool. but if it's gonna be a PITA, i'll do something else.

You can get LEDs that cycle through different colors. You might want to look on digikey's website and look around.

• Members

something like these ought to do the trick then :

http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-5mm-RGB-Slow-Color-Change-LED-Free-Resistors_W0QQitemZ290401842871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d4c76b7

(i haven't bought from that seller - it's just the first result that came up)

with the color changing led's it's pretty much just a matter of hooking them up to a battery and ground and they'll do their thing.some need a series resistor to keep them from blowing and some don't. you can use this calculator to find out what value resistor you'll need :

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

• Members

something like these ought to do the trick then :

(i haven't bought from that seller - it's just the first result that came up)

with the color changing led's it's pretty much just a matter of hooking them up to a battery and ground and they'll do their thing.some need a series resistor to keep them from blowing and some don't. you can use this calculator to find out what value resistor you'll need :

and if i ground to the ring or sleeve on the TRS jack in the bass, the LEDs will shut off when i unplug the bass, no?

• Members

and if i ground to the ring or sleeve on the TRS jack in the bass, the LEDs will shut off when i unplug the bass, no?

yep.just be sure to ground it to whichever tab the rest of your grounds aren't soldered to to be sure you don't have another ground path when the plug is pulled.

Archived