Anyone ever play through an Ampeg VT22?

Dark Slide

• Moderators

Not sure I'd be running bass through the combo speakers.......

Right. I think it makes a killer amp for bass, but not run through guitar speakers. If you can hook it up to a bass cabinet, great. To the extent you pull the chassis out and mount it in its own headbox, you can create your own V-4.

• Members

I don't have any experience with vintage ampeg amps, but I have played a few vintage amps (own some).

IMO, they lack the really deep sub bass tones of modern SS amps.

They're much warmer, less hi-fi, punchy and more compressed. (no duh, eh?)

In my search for the anti-tone, I've found that I really enjoy that super deep synthetic low end.....while I really enjoy the mids and highs of a hot tube amp. :love:

• Members

I don't have any experience with vintage ampeg amps, but I have played a few vintage amps (own some).

IMO, they lack the really deep sub bass tones of modern SS amps.

They're much warmer, less hi-fi, punchy and more compressed. (no duh, eh?)

In my search for the anti-tone, I've found that I really enjoy that super deep synthetic low end.....while I really enjoy the mids and highs of a hot tube amp.
:love:

Punchy and more compressed seem mutually exclusive to my brain.

• Members

I have a VT-40- same amp, but with 4 10's.

A GUITAR amp. Tried bass thru mine once, that lasted all of about 20 seconds... the original 10's just are not built for bass.

LOUD. HEAVY, as reported above. ALL TUBE, if you like that sort of thing (I do.):thu:

There were about 4 different configurations:

1. Top loading, single channel.

2. Front loading, single channel (pic above seems to be that one.)

3. Front loading, two channel, master volume.

4. Front loading, two channel, master volume AND distortion control.

Mine's like #3, and from what I hear when I play thru it, there are NO tonal advantages to either the Top-load OR FL without master vol. I suspect that bias is due to negative association with FENDER amps that have the master volume- hey, schumcko's, this is an AMPEG amp, not a Fender...:facepalm:

If the price/trade deal is decent (value seems to be somewhere around $750 or MORE) buy it if you like tube tone, and put bass speakers in it. I have listed my VT-40 for sale/trade, and am getting a few VERY appealing trade offers (I'm talking botique amps that sell, new for WAY more than that.) Do NOT sell the originals, keep 'em for when you are ready to sell.

• Members

I have a VT-40- same amp, but with 4 10's.

A GUITAR amp. Tried bass thru mine once, that lasted all of about 20 seconds... the original 10's just are not built for bass.

LOUD. HEAVY, as reported above. ALL TUBE, if you like that sort of thing (I do.)
:thu:

There were about 4 different configurations:

1. Top loading, single channel.

2. Front loading, single channel (pic above seems to be that one.)

3. Front loading, two channel, master volume.

4. Front loading, two channel, master volume AND distortion control.

Mine's like #3, and from what I hear when I play thru it, there are NO tonal advantages to either the Top-load OR FL without master vol. I suspect that bias is due to negative association with FENDER amps that have the master volume- hey, schumcko's, this is an AMPEG amp, not a Fender...
:facepalm:

If the price/trade deal is decent (value seems to be somewhere around $750 or MORE) buy it if you like tube tone, and put bass speakers in it. I have listed my VT-40 for sale/trade, and am getting a few VERY appealing trade offers (I'm talking botique amps that sell, new for WAY more than that.) Do NOT sell the originals, keep 'em for when you are ready to sell.

Actually the VT-40 is a combo V-2. The amp above, a VT-22, is a combo V-4. I have two of the early VT-40 models along with a early V-2 and a master volume V-2.

• Members

So, this is apparently a VT22 head. Not the combo, just the head. This coincides with a review on HC that says most VT22's were issued as combos but that there were some head only models issued. Any thoughts on that?

I'm not complaining either way. Just makes my life easier.

Thanks.

• Members

So, this is apparently a VT22 head. Not the combo, just the head. This coincides with a review on HC that says most VT22's were issued as combos but that there were some head only models issued. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Sometimes the panel silkscreen that reads 'V-4' gets worn away and they see on the back it says 'VT-22 V-4' so they call it a VT-22. In other cases, someone has a VT-22 and they decide they want a head instead of a combo and cut off the bottom of the cabinet.

Archived