I need to go back to school

B-Bottom

• Members

I just have no idea what for. The only thing that interests me is music. But I have a feeling that it would be a waste of money to go for music (production,marketing,whatever)

I thought about going back for something in graphic design. I hate computers but I did go to art school and have an eye for that stuff. But after working in a graphic design/sign shop (doing the grunt work) I've found that it doesn't pay well and really doesn't appeal to me any longer.

In fact the stuff that I like about my job (building stuff, ripping stuff apart and all of that manly man stuff) is only a fraction of what I do there...unfortunately.

So if you were me....God forbid....what kind of courses or jobs would you be looking at.

• Members

do they have any power plants around the harrisburg area?

some local colleges around large nuclear plants offer a 2 year course and then when you graduate have a good shot at working in the plant. they start out better than what i started out after a 4 year degree at college.

• Members

If I had it to do all over again, I'd be an engineer. Still might.

As an engineer, strangely, I often find myself muttering the exact opposite of this statement.

Just me, though. There's a writer in me and it's up to me to make that happen. In regards to engineering-in my case, just because one can, doesn't mean one should.

If you decided to go that route, the best of luck to you! It can be a very rewarding career!

• Members

As an engineer, strangely, I often find myself muttering the exact opposite of this statement.

Just me, though. There's a writer in me and it's up to me to make that happen. In regards to engineering-in my case, just because one
can
, doesn't mean one
should

If you decided to go that route, the best of luck to you! It can be a very rewarding career!

I followed the artistic path but wished I had the chance to do engineering school. I'd be much happier with that seeing as I've been surrounded by them the last 10+ years, but make 1/4 what they do, yet do the same job.

I think we're moving next year, to a place that will let me get a trade. Tool and die or electrician are my top two interests ATM.

• Members

What about being a builder or handy man?

+1 on the handy man idea.

I have a friend who quit his 9-5 job and started a handyman business a couple years ago. He loves it, makes his own hours, and no two days are the same. He assembles sheds, cleans hot tubs, fixes bikes, paints hallways, you name it.

A reliable handyman who is not a drunk and doesn't break things will have as much business as he can handle in a couple years time.

• Members

+1 on the handy man idea.

I have a friend who quit his 9-5 job and started a handyman business a couple years ago. He loves it, makes his own hours, and no two days are the same. He assembles sheds, cleans hot tubs, fixes bikes, paints hallways, you name it.

A reliable handyman who is not a drunk and doesn't break things will have as much business as he can handle in a couple years time.

I've seriously thought about this as a hobby/side job. I can fix practically anything, always doing stuff around the house and often get asked by friends/family to do stuff for them (for free of course).

Once I have a reliable vehicle on the road, I like would.

• Members

Just me, though. There's a writer in me and it's up to me to make that happen. In regards to engineering-in my case, just because one
can
, doesn't mean one
should

This is my boat as well. :thu:

Archived