French Press = Win!

Thunderbroom

• Members

I started a thread about coffee last week. It revolved around how I've never been able to brew a cup of coffee in it that was as good as I got at my local gas station. Many people made recommendations.

I was in my grocery store in the coffee aisle and saw a french press for $12. I got some fresh beans and set the grinder in the store to "coarse" and was on my way. While my wife said she didn't think she could tell a difference (she rarely drinks coffee), I believe that I can. It seems to taste richer, and if this is even possible, thicker.

For my 24 oz. per day fix, this is full of win...and CHEAP too.

• Members

it's all those essential oils you get now

It's as much the fresh ground coffee as it is the French press. The two combined = awesomeness.

I don't drink coffee often, so I have a french press for visitors (since I have an electric kettle, it's really convenient to use). When my parents came to visit, my mom loved the coffee it made.

• Members

i agree with the richer taste. i do feel that my FP brews a richer cuppajoe than my 1 cup drip.

the FP is a Sunday morning treat. warm up your mug first and use warm milk for better results ( a hotter cup that stays hot longer).

fresh grinding is a must. next time you're out and about, buy a grinder and buy whole beans. only grind what you'll use for a few days, or even better, grind fresh for each cup.

be wary grinding at the store. if the person on the grinder before you bought, and ground, some hideous flavored-coffee abomination, your beans will take that flavor. yuk.

• Members

I have a grinder. My freshly ground coffee in my
Mr. Coffee
pales in comparison to my $12 french press.

i use a one-cup drip cone for my everyday coffee. no machine. if i use freshly ground beans it tastes better than beans i've ground for the week.

still, my FP makes a better cup than that as well. but on workday mornings i don't take the time to do a FP.

do you clean your Mr Coffee internally?

• Members

Good stuff... Now wash your drip pot and the insides on which it's been resting, filter some water, and make a drip batch and you'll also see that a clean drip pot of coffee can be on par with a french press batch any day. Cleanliness is next to godliness. :thu:

I have both and make both on a regular basis. The biggest difference... French press coffee has {censored} at the bottom of the cup and drip doesn't. :D

• Members

Good stuff... Now wash your drip pot and the insides on which it's been resting, filter some water, and make a drip batch and you'll also see that a clean drip pot of coffee can be on par with a french press batch any day. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
:thu:

I have both and make both on a regular basis. The biggest difference... French press coffee has {censored} at the bottom of the cup and drip doesn't.
:D

My drip has the finer grinds on the bottom, but it could be because I use a mesh/screen washable filter.

I really do need to clean the thing out though.

• Members

My drip has the finer grinds on the bottom, but it could be because I use a mesh/screen washable filter.

I really do need to clean the thing out though.

Yeah, I'm talking the paper filters but really I won't say the oils make it to the cup on a drip pot, but the flak the drip pots are getting in this thread aren't fair. If you clean your pot you will get a good cup of coffee... You just will. However, I won't deny that you'll get a better cup from a similarly clean French press. It really is the best way to go, but a clean cup will beat a dirty cup any day. :thu:

• Members

Woah that thing looks crazy and unnecessary. Is it really 500$ for a counter-top water treater?

I don't know a whole lot about it. It belongs to some friends of mine who happen to be a little bit more well to do than the average water drinker... ;)

Supposedly it makes the water healthier, or filters it better, or something. I don't really get it. It tastes good mixed with coffee is about all I know. I read some reviews on those things a while back. Some people credit it as another snake oil scheme, but a lot of people really seem to think it makes some kind of difference.

I have no idea, and since I'm not likely to spend $500 on a water pitcher, I probaly won't try to form one about it. I think the under the counter model is almost twice that.

• Members

I don't know a whole lot about it. It belongs to some friends of mine who happen to be a little bit more well to do than the average water drinker...
;)

Supposedly it makes the water healthier, or filters it better, or something. I don't really get it. It tastes good mixed with coffee is about all I know. I read some reviews on those things a while back. Some people credit it as another snake oil scheme, but a lot of people really seem to think it makes some kind of difference.

I have no idea, and since I'm not likely to spend $500 on a water pitcher, I probaly won't try to form one about it. I think the under the counter model is almost twice that.

:D

I'd be interested in seeing one in action... but I can't imagine that it does anything better than an under the sink RO unit which costs half the price. Water treatment is pretty straightforward. And really - for city water that is already treated a 20$ Brita filter would handle most concerns of taste and colour.

But, I'm a stick in the mud. If it makes for tasty coffee thats all that matters (as long as it isn't my money. :thu:

Archived