Rockabilly/Psychobilly Upright bass

DIEZELPOWER77

• Members

Also, what r some takes on gear. I was looking at King Doublebass, any takes on those, or other companies? Also, what about amplification? I own an Ampeg BA115 100watt combo, or would I need more to get that low thud over the guitarists combo?

I have a Sparkle King and I run my stuff through an M9 Carbine Mesaboogie with twin 12" speakers. You can also get Englehardt??(sp) which are really decent too if you dont mind the violin shape poking you all the time. They sound pretty good though and cross over into other genres maybe a little better than the kings do.

I found 150 watts too little. I had to crank it up so loud it was always feeding back.

• Members

Check out these... Batmobile, The Meteors, Guana Batz & Spellbound.

The last one are an Irish psychobilly band. Really cool stuff!
:cool:

^^

These

+

These

V V

, The Krewmen,
(only the first album), Jason Lee and the Riptides.

Check out your local scene too, theres tons of great bands out there starting the same place these bands did.

As for gear, if you have the money for a King go for it. I've only played one of them but it was set up dam good and played effortlessly. Build quality is really what your looking for in a rockabilly bass. Gotta stand up to being lugged around and beaten on a daily basis. As Eve said, Engelheardt's are good for the money. Just have to make sure to get it set up. Look for old Kay basses on Craigslist. If you find a good one, it will outlast you.

Also, you gotta think about preamps and pickups. I haven't done much reading about that so I'll differ to someone else.

• Members

Psychobilly remains my favorite type of music.

I recommend:

Tiger Army, (Australian) Fireballs, Rev is brilliant. Early Guana Batz, Meteors (sometimes), Razorbacks, Demented are Go, of course Stray Cats from time to time (lots of crap in there tho)

Get the instructional video made by Lee Rocker in about 1988 and he will sort you out on how to slap simple stuff.

PLay along to old Johnny Cash and Bill Haley records till you work out the basics like double and tripple slaps, then move on to more stupidly fast psychobilly stuff.

You probably want a massive amp. I seriously recommend a tube amp of around 200w or a tranny amp of around 1000w. Two 15s and a horn or an 8x10" cab is good for competing against really loud Twins or Marshalls, and the frequency response on an upright is very different to that of a bass geetar, so be careful when taking advice from bass geetarists in this regard.

You will probably want two pick ups (or more) on your bass. one under the fingerboard, nd one on the bridge or near it.Mix these somehow AFTER you have run them through pre amps.

Happy to talk to you about this as much as you want in the PM style.

photo.php?pid=1346363&id=563749371

• Members

How about strings? I'm not sure what the diff is in strings(1/2-3/4-4/4 sizes). Is that the size of the upright? can you cut them to size, so they're not hanging over the tuning keys like a guitar? I'm sorry I'm such a noobie, I just wanna get the right info. I'm using what I see on Musician's Friend for reference.

• Members

"How about strings? I'm not sure what the diff is in strings(1/2-3/4-4/4 sizes). Is that the size of the upright? can you cut them to size, so they're not hanging over the tuning keys like a guitar? I'm sorry I'm such a noobie, I just wanna get the right info. I'm using what I see on Musician's Friend for reference."

For rockabilly and psychbilly playing you are not likely to want steel strings.

It is well documented that Lee ROcker DOES use steel strings, but that is because back 30 years ago it was bloody hard to get any upright bass loud enough for stage volumes, so he built his own magnetic pick up from bits out of a Fender Pee bass.

Because Im an old(er) crunt, too, I prefer steel core/nylon wind strings for the greater note definition, and semi-gut feel and playability. At a pinch, too, I could go back to using a magnetic pick up.

In the past 20 years huge advances in controlling feedback through better pick up design, preamp and amplification tone control, have meant that most rocka/psychobilly players are back to using 100% nylon strings.

You will probably want to just get used to playing for a bit on whatever strings your bass comes with, then go shopping for what you think you want.

As far as my experience goes, all strings fit all basses, wether 1/2, 3/4 or 4/4.

They wont need clipping and they wont hang over everywhere like a daisy rock punk rock guitar player ;)

I dont check this forum all that regularly, if you have detailed questions you can PM me.

Archived