Selling tickets for 18+ shows

B-Bottom

• Members

So we've been offered to do a few 18+ shows. We were told that we would need to sell a few tickets in order to do so though. Now this kind of thing is all all of the guys in the band so I'm curious what the best way to go about doing something like this is.

Keep in mind that the three of us are in, or close to out early 30's and this place doesn't sell beer. Suggestions?

• Members

If it doesn't sell beer, why is it 18+?

It's not a bar it's basically a warehouse that they put shows in. Plus I'm sure the fact that liquor licenses are ridiculously expensive probably has something to do with it.

The place is basically something just a place for kids to come to and see bands

• Members

It's not a bar it's basically a warehouse that they put shows in. Plus I'm sure the fact that liquor licenses are ridiculously expensive probably has something to do with it.

The place is basically something
just a place for kids to come to and see bands

Which again begs the question... why is it 18+ then?

• Members

Colleges would be my first suggestion. Give a few tickets to the local college radio station(s). Some will win freebies, but many will hear about the show and possibly go.

But yeah... Weird that a warehouse show is 18+.

No doubt. When I was young, there was nowhere for the young kids to see shows, so I started renting halls and putting them on. I couldn't fathom turning away kids, kids are the whole point to doing shows that are not in a club. It's like once you are old enough to drink, you want to go to clubs for bands, because you can and drinking is cool.

• Members

No doubt. When I was young, there was nowhere for the young kids to see shows, so I started renting halls and putting them on. I couldn't fathom turning away kids, kids are the whole point to doing shows that are not in a club. It's like once you are old enough to drink, you want to go to clubs for bands, because you
can
and drinking is cool.

you have to be 21 to drink. And you still haven't answered my question

• Members

you have to be 21 to drink

Yet FURTHER driving home the point... why exclude kids below 18 if there is no booze being sold and the drinking age doesn't even kick in for another 3 years. :facepalm:

Where did the 18+ come into play, and why? Other than to deter KIDS from going to the KIDS shows, what is the point of it?

• Members

Yet
FURTHER
driving home the point... why exclude kids below 18 if there is no booze being sold and the drinking age doesn't even kick in for another 3 years.
:facepalm:

Where did the 18+ come into play, and why? Other than to deter KIDS from going to the KIDS shows, what is the point of it?

it might be a liability/insurance thing?

• Members

....And you still haven't answered my question

Nice edit.

And I am answering your question, I'm illustrating an easy way to get more kids in your kids shows.... stop telling them they are too young. :poke:

In these parts they are called "All Ages" shows because local promoters like me have more common sense than your promoter is displaying. Just saying.

• Members

Yeah, don't want to take the chance of a 19 year old punching a 15 year old or whatever. Seems likely, but still sucks.

That is security's problem, not legislations. If there is no law against kids seeing shows in his local area, this should not be a concern any more than a 19yr old punching a 25 year old.

• Members

18+ show to promote bands to kids with no booze available even though the drinking age is 21+.

This makes no sense. I think you should ask some questions.

:idea:

Thank you. I was starting to think I was the only crazy person here.

• Members

:idea:

Thank you. I was starting to think I was the only crazy person here.

Could be curfew laws too. A lot of cities have laws that state anyone under 18 has to be off the streets by a certain time. I know that's the case with 18+ shows here. Midnight is our curfew & they want the shows to go past midnight.

• Members

No, you're not. Around here, shows are either all ages or 21+. Never heard of an 18+ show.

Have you been to an all ages show in your area? If so, curious, what percentage would you say was over 21 in the audience? If the answer is "very few" then odds are they are all at bars drinking. Meaning people 21+ that can drink, probably do. Meaning that your target market at these 18+ shows is young adults aged 18-20. Small scope that is.

I'm not trying to bust the OP's balls, I'm trying to either understand the situation (because there well could be a logical reason) or enlighten the promoters to ways to make more money at their show. Either way it leads back to the original question that I am answering, just need more info to answer it best.

When I worked as a promoter, I earned more money doing it than I did at my day job, and eventually quit it in favour of putting on gigs 2 nights a week, that's all it took to earn more than my day job.

I made 3/4 of my money off of local kids, under the age of 18, at all ages shows. I honestly doubt there was 5 people over the age of 21 at any of the all ages shows, they were all drinking at a bar... because they could. At that age bracket, people that can drink, want too.

• Members

Could be curfew laws too.
A lot of cities have laws that state anyone under 18 has to be off the streets by a certain time.
I know that's the case with 18+ shows here. Midnight is our curfew & they want the shows to go past midnight.

Where do you live, Burma? :eek:

• Members

Have you been to an all ages show in your area? If so, curious, what percentage would you say was over 21 in the audience? If the answer is "very few" then odds are they are all at bars drinking. Meaning people 21+ that can drink, probably do. Meaning that your target market at these 18+ shows is young adults aged 18-20. Small scope that is.

I'm not trying to bust the OP's balls, I'm trying to either understand the situation (because there well could be a logical reason) or enlighten the promoters to ways to make more money at their show. Either way it leads back to the original question that I am answering, just need more info to answer it best.

When I worked as a promoter, I earned more money doing it than I did at my day job, and eventually quit it in favour of putting on gigs 2 nights a week, that's all it took to earn more than my day job.

I made 3/4 of my money off of local kids, under the age of 18, at all ages shows. I honestly doubt there was 5 people over the age of 21 at any of the all ages shows, they were all drinking at a bar... because they could. At that age bracket, people that can drink, want too.

Back when I was in my punk band playing all ages shows, I'd say the majority of kids were on the younger side, 14-16.

• Members

Back when I was in my punk band playing all ages shows, I'd say the majority of kids were on the younger side, 14-16.

Cool, I agree. Most of my audiences were in that age bracket too. And thanks for pointing out the music type, it's actually a really important point about attendance that I didn't address. I was putting on punk and or metal shows mostly, and could easily put both bands on the same stage without anyone caring.

If you aren't playing the types of music they listen too, it reduces the likelyhood that they will be repeat attendees. Doesn't kill it though, some kids just want to get out and have some fun, so will go no matter what.

• Members

Over here, gigs at big venues tend to be 14+.

18+ at smaller venues and bars.

All ages is fairly rare actually.

There was one recording studio/theater/venue in my home town when I was at school (small town) and bands were dying to put on a gig. When we convinced the folk to put one on that was all ages it was rammed with kids from the school.

• Members

I think with 18 and over, it is saying that it is an adult show... I don't think I would want a 12 year old hearing some of the banter that we do onstage, not to mention the adult lyrics of some of the songs we do. "Hey mommy, I got a new favorite song, its called Crazy Bitch".....:idk:

Archived