Cream... Underrated.

zachoff

• Members

Your opinion...

I always thought Baker was kind of a slogger. I appreciate him a little more now. Jack Bruce was one the guys that really set the standard and wasn't afraid to get a little outside. When I was learning to play, he was a real eye opener - particularly on the live tracks. I don't think you can call his work or influence on that whole generation of players insignificant.

+1.

Another thing to remember is that it was Bruce along with Pete Brown who wrote most of their origanal material ( those "good songs" that Jazz Ad refers to ). If that is not significant, than I dont know what is.

• Members

I think just the opposite. To me Cream are way, way overrated.

Baker is a monster but neither Clapton nor Bruce did anything significant. Good band, good songs but they don't deserve the godly status they often get.

I agree with this, but to be honest I am not a Clapton fan at all.

For my money I would go with West Bruce and Laing over Cream anyday.

[YOUTUBE]NObNNd24-XU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Baker is a monster but neither Clapton nor Bruce did anything significant. Good band, good songs but they don't deserve the godly status they often get.

Fifty years from now, we will see how many of the current "guitar gods" are still performing and still drawing huge crowds. At that point I will put them up there with Clapton.

Personally, I liked Blind Faith quite a bit, too.

• Members
BTW, what do you mean by "significant" ? Could you quote an artist in the genre from that period who was significant in your opinion ?

Led Zeppelin, Link Wray (a bit sooner but still), Hendrix, the Who, Freddie King, John Cale, it's not like there was a shortage of people who produced unprecedented music in the 70s.

• Members

Your opinion...

I always thought Baker was kind of a slogger. I appreciate him a little more now. Jack Bruce was one the guys that really set the standard and wasn't afraid to get a little outside. When I was learning to play, he was a real eye opener - particularly on the live tracks. I don't think you can call his work or influence on that whole generation of players insignificant.

I agree. I can't even remember how many times I've read bassist interviews who list Bruce as a major influence on them. Big name bassists too. His influence is most certainly out there!

• Members

Led Zeppelin, Link Wray (a bit sooner but still), Hendrix, the Who, Freddie King, John Cale, it's not like there was a shortage of people who produced unprecedented music in the 70s.

..and in what way were they more significant than Cream ? Given, that Clapton has said he was heavily influenced by King. Admittedly they were/are all icons, who have each contributed in their own way.

Cream (among others like John Mayal's Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Stones etc) were significant in that they helped bring the blues to a wider white audience on both sides of the Atlantic, something the big blues names (Freddy King included ) in the USA could not do.

How is that for significance ?? ;)

• Members

I enjoy some Cream stuff, like Tales of Brave Ullyses, but they had A LOT of bull{censored} on their records.

Eg, "Pressed Rat and Warthog" -- WTF? They were doing that kind of psychedelic music, i guess because that was the fashion at the time, but they were no Beatles or Floyd. A lot of their recordings are embarrassing to listen to. I'm not a fan of either Bruce's or Clapton's singing voices, but Bruce's falsetto really iritates me.

• Members

As someone who wasn't "there" when Cream was on the airwaves and putting out vinyl, I can't really comment on the impact they had at the time. I can, however, comment on how the band has influenced me today.

Cream, along with Led Zeppelin and ZZ Top, made me appreciate the blues. And I'm someone who doesn't just SAY they like the blues, I actively try to find new blues artists and download their stuff. Blues for me is not some artifact that can be neatly encapsulated in a "best of" collection - it is a living, evolving genre that spawned most other genres and continues to be viable today.

If nothing else, the influence of Cream is this - a blues education for a rock lover.

• Members

Cream raised the bar for rock musicans.

Maybe I should say Cream and Hendrix.

Listen to non-Cream/Hendrix rock up to and including 1967 and then listen after. After those 2 bands, credible rock guitarists and bands had to jam - and jam well. No more twang twang.

And Jack Bruce raised the bar for bass. He and Entwistle. They pushed it up to be a solo instrument in rock before anyone else.

Ginger Baker, same thing. He and Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon.

Cream also inadvertantly created or started heavy metal. After them came Zeppelin and Sabbath. Page himself said he saw a huge opportunity after Hendrix and Cream were gone. That audience that Page perceived didn't exist before Hendrix and Cream.

• Members

And I'll say this. Anyone who says Clapton wasn't VERY good in Cream ... doesn't know crap for rock guitar. Listen to his solos/jams, live or studio. Very melodic, great feel, not repetitive, not a hodgepodge of canned riffs - {censored}ing amazingly rocking. The dude improvised great music on his instrument. That hadn't happened in rock before him.

Archived