Anybody Exhausted?!?

Thunderbroom

• Members

Damn...I just can't go like I used to.

I've been physically at the college where I work 65+ hours this week and then spent another 5+ hours at home in the evenings doing more work for work. I got home at 5p today and promptly fell asleep and just woke up. I feel like sh!t.

I guess I should be happy I have a job, but it's times like this that I wish I didn't.

• Members

I turn 40 this June. About a year ago, I noticed a significant drop in my metabolism and energy in about two weeks. It was the oddest thing. In two weeks I gained 10lbs, felt fatigued, and just plain 'blah'---and have ever since. Weather is better now so getting ready for nightly walks and take up jogging again. I need to do SOMETHING.

• Members

Nope. I'm still on spring break. :D

I had 4 yards of mixed loam and topsoil delivered to repair winter erosion damage from my creek.

I spent Tuesday loading and dumping many, many wheel-barrow loads.

I spent Wednesday raking, leveling, seeding and watering.

I spent Thursday living on ibuprofen, hot tea, and (later in the day) bourbon and water :D

• Members

I started noticing this around 40 as well. I'll be 44 next week. It's just getting worse. I'm thinking I need to change my diet somehow and that maybe that will help. Sleeping more too maybe.

My diet is cleaner than it's ever been. I exercise and I sleep at least 7hrs a night. I don't drink a lot and I don't do a lot of caffeine. It totally feels like my exhaustion is a cavern that keeps growing around me, no matter what I do I can't seem to keep it from playing a larger and larger role in my life. Not sure if it's the fact that I spend so much of my day sitting on my butt behind a computer, staring at this screen, or that I'm just getting older. Whatever it is, I feel your pain T-Broom.

• Members

man, i'm turning 30 this year and i swear i'm turning 80... my body is not enjoying this whole never be home, go out and do stuff thing. roller derby 3 days a week apparently is a lot of derby when you are new. i now randomly fall asleep between the hours of 1 and 5 in the afternoon if i'm not driving. i need me some energy :(

• Members

my last few weeks have been pretty brutal at work. we had a huge project with a very short schedule and an absolutely unbreakable deadline. between trying to be productive on the job, and managing the productivity of anywhere from 4 to 7 others on the job, i spent my days scattered in a zillion different directions.

and now, it's pretty much over. and i've got little to nothing to do. :(

• Members

Nope. I'm still on spring break.
:D

I had 4 yards of mixed loam and topsoil delivered to repair winter erosion damage from my creek.

I spent Tuesday loading and dumping many, many wheel-barrow loads.

I spent Wednesday raking, leveling, seeding and watering.

Marry me! Err...marry my wife! :p She has many outdoor "honey-do" projects in mind.

Yes, my body shifted gears around 42-43. I make sure to allow for seven hours sleep (which I never did for the first 45 years or so) and that seems to have helped.

• Members

I turn 40 this June. About a year ago, I noticed a significant drop in my metabolism and energy in about two weeks. It was the oddest thing. In two weeks I gained 10lbs, felt fatigued, and just plain 'blah'---and have ever since. Weather is better now so getting ready for nightly walks and take up jogging again. I need to do SOMETHING.

You should probably see a doctor about that just in case.

I had some serious problems with fatigue a few years. I'm doing much better now. But at the time I had a huge appetite and couldn't get enough energy to keep going through the day.

I'm thankful that I've never had to do anywhere near 65hours of work a week.

• Members

It all starts downhill for me if I don't get enough sleep. Start there. Although, at 65 hours a week of work, you have little opportunity.

Your weeks aren't all this much work, are they?

No, I don't always put in 65 but do put in 50 regularly. Added to the work week hours, I'm a full-time student and spend 20 hours per week on school work. This will be an 85+ hour week when I'm done as opposed to the typical 70. School will be over in about a year though.

• Members

No, I don't always put in 65 but do put in 50 regularly. Added to the work week hours, I'm a full-time student and spend 20 hours per week on school work. This will be an 85+ hour week when I'm done as opposed to the typical 70. School will be over in about a year though.

You have tremendous fortitude. You also have good reason to be tired. :)

Can you take a nap? Even 20 minutes a couple times a week can help. I had a grandfather who worked like you do in academia until he was 75, and he took a 15 minute nap every day in his office. He said that was how he did it.

• Members

I fell asleep watching This Old House about 9:30. Slept soundly 3 hours on the couch. Went to bed, slept 5 more, like a rock. Got up, went right back to bed and slept another 3. Up about 40 minutes now, still could use a nap.

Lots of pressure at work right now, a lot going on. They aren't treating me bad, it's just a lot to do in several directions, and even the 3rd priority jobs need it now. Plus, I'm still equalizing and healing after the back surgery; from this alone, it will be another 6 or 10 months or more before I'm back to the old strength and stamina level. I get home physically and mentally exhausted, and it takes me a lot of extra time to get recharged. It will come. But it's not here yet. And this has gotten old.

Now, Jeff, I ran like you did through finishing my BS. It wore me out, and I dropped desire to go MS and Phd. I understand your tiredness. I went back to school at the tender age of 29, 3 years of working 30 to 40 hour weeks while taking 16 to 19 credits in mainly science and engineering, maintianing a significant average. Had 2 AS's when done. I was beat. Once I moved back here, went back to finish a BS around working 40 to 50+ hours a week in a usually quite physical job, and maintained the same average while completing my BS over the next several years. Gradiated a semester before turning 40. By 43 or so, my body's energy level and need for a reasonable schedule changed a lot of my attack on life. I've slowed down considerably. But, in fairness, much of that was also driven by 3 spinal problems requiring operations over the last 16 years.

• Members

I do get a nap in from time to time at work. It does help.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize (finishing school). Being in an accelerated program was my choice as I know that it is what I need in order to complete my program. If I were in a traditional program, it would take me 5, 7 or 9 years to complete as is typical. I guess I'd rather be miserable for 3 years.

:)

So, I'm hitting the books again today and working on my dissertation. I've got about 9 hours worth of transcripts that I have to verify and then send them out for member checks. I have about 3 hours back already and will start the data analysis hopefully today or tomorrow.

I've got to squeeze in grading papers and well as attending my son's TKD demonstrations today and tomorrow.

I guess, all in all, I'd rather be busy than just laying around.

:thu:

• Members

I do get a nap in from time to time at work. It does help.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize (finishing school). Being in an accelerated program was my choice as I know that it is what I need in order to complete my program. If I were in a traditional program, it would take me 5, 7 or 9 years to complete as is typical. I guess I'd rather be miserable for 3 years.

:)

So, I'm hitting the books again today and working on my dissertation. I've got about 9 hours worth of transcripts that I have to verify and then send them out for member checks. I have about 3 hours back already and will start the data analysis hopefully today or tomorrow.

I've got to squeeze in grading papers and well as attending my son's TKD demonstrations today and tomorrow.

I guess, all in all, I'd rather be busy than just laying around.

:thu:

Like they say, bored people are boring people :thu:

Archived