The art of yodelling?

grace_slick

• Members

Ok, now, I have no real interest in actually learning or attempting to yodel, but rather, you know how some singers, such as Dido or the lead singer in The Cranberries for instance, use their voices to do a very slight almost yodelling type of effect?

Is this simply alternating seamlessly and quickly the more firm/loud voice and the falsetto voice?

I can already do this with some ease, but was just wondering what others thought of it.

• Members

Check out Jimmie Rodgers--The Singing Brakeman! Man that dude could yodel!

Actually, I always felt that yodelling was surprising easy. You do go right up to falsetto and as long as you keep your volume/intensity under control, it usually goes well.

There should be more yodelling, it seems to me!

• Members

Do you know where Yodelling came from?

Yodelling is an ancient Norse Religious act - they are calling out to the Gods while "singing" the runes!

I'm not making this up.

I've studied the ancient Norse religious beliefs for 15 years, and there are even Book/CD's available that teach the incantations!

Now, how is that for a bit of Trivia?

http://www.adula.com/runes_history.htm

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6540637/RuneMagic

• Members

Yes, you have to think / learn the notes in both your 'normal' voice and your falsetto - lilt between the 2 - your right on. I've western yodeled for 25 or 30 years - old stuff like Montana Slim and Hank Williams / Jimmie Rodgers, but have never taken the time to learn the quick notes involved in the more 'Swiss' style of Roy Rogers...

Chime Bells by Elton Britt is an old fave I'm working on - and motivating me to give up the smokes...

The mid-forties is really affecting the yodeling ease:facepalm:

Archived