I freaking love my Corvette

tom_s252

• Members

So I've just put down my bass having been jamming along to a few favourite tunes and feel like shouting from the rooftops what a gorgeous thing it is. 05 Warwick Corvette Standard Active. It's been my number one since the day I got it, a glorious day in Denmark Street it was...

corvette.jpg

And in action last week at a French festival

kerfuffle06.jpg

Thanks to Jean-Christophe Bordier for the pic.

Just one of those nights when I feel at one with the wood and wire. Hope I'm not the only one enjoying that feeling today :)

• Members

My standard 5er has a twist in the neck, and I've convinced myself to get rid of it several times. What keeps happening is that I pick it up to play it "for the last time", and despite the neck problems it seems to play in tune with an authoritative tone, so I just keep using it the way it is. Might even take it to rehearsal next week.

• Members

Warwick corvettes are very nice. If I had replaced the stock pups and preamp on the one I had and had it been 4 string instead of 5, I might still have it. But fivers and J pups just dont work as well for me as other types. Congrats on yer corvette. Looks very nice.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My standard 5er has a twist in the neck, and I've convinced myself to get rid of it several times. What keeps happening is that I pick it up to play it "for the last time", and despite the neck problems it seems to play in tune with an authoritative tone, so I just keep using it the way it is. Might even take it to rehearsal next week.

Belatedly...

Dare I ask how it got twisted? Heat/humidity issues or something?

• Members

Funny this should come up today. I played my Corvette Standard 5-string two nights ago at band practice and remembered all over again why I love that freaking bass. It doesn't get a ton of playing time anymore because I have the Knuckle Cascadia 5-string and the Corvette weighs a ton which kind of sucks over the course of a four-hour gig, but man it just plays like a dream. :D I took the pickups out about a year ago and put in a pair of Bartolini passives wired in series and straight to the jack - no controls at all. Sounds like a monster. Fantastic bass.

• Members

Belatedly...

Dare I ask how it got twisted? Heat/humidity issues or something?

Might've happened after I installed a set of Sadowsky flats on it. I never kept up the regular waxing schedule, don't know if that had an effect or not.

• Members

Might've happened after I installed a set of Sadowsky flats on it. I never kept up the regular waxing schedule, don't know if that had an effect or not.

Hmm. I doubt an absence of wax on its own could cause that. The Michigan climate, though... How old is it? Did you buy new? Might be worth having a word with Warwick's US distributor, they've got a great reputation for sorting out things like this. http://www.danabgoods.com/

• Members

Hmm. I doubt an absence of wax on its own could cause that. The Michigan climate, though... How old is it? Did you buy new? Might be worth having a word with Warwick's US distributor, they've got a great reputation for sorting out things like this.

I got mine about six years ago through an internet trade with a store in another state. Don't know if it was new at the time or not. I never got to inspect it before "buying" it. There was no invoice or record of the transaction that I'm aware of. Also, I can't remember really looking it over much when it came, as I was being pressured by my band of that time to get a 5-string bass, and I didn't want to.

Within two months of getting the Warwick I quit the band, and it's been sitting in a corner ever since. I like the tone with the Sadowskys, but not enough to get a new neck, or to use it regularly in my new band. I suppose once the neck gets bad enough I'll just part the rest of it out on Ebay or something.

• Members

I have enjoyed my Corvette since I bought it waaaaaaaaay back in 1997. It's seen me through a bunch of bands, an obscene amount of gigs in a scary amount of places. It's currently enjoying a well-deserved semi-retirement.

My 2010 'vette $$ fretless is nuts, period. Hands down one of the best basses I've ever played.

But, I've been told I'm biased. :cop:

• Members

Might be worth having a word with Warwick's US distributor, they've got a great reputation for sorting out things like this.

Actually, DBG doesn't handle Warwick in the states anymore (no idea why, but their CS was nowhere near their reputation towards the end). Hanser Music deal with them now, as well as the fine gents at the Warwick NY Office.

It might be worth just sending them an email about it and finding out. Worst thing to happen is that they email you back, telling you it will cost the price of a new neck (and I think they have a 1 in, 1 out policy but not sure). At that point, you're only out the time typing.

• Members

Actually, DBG doesn't handle Warwick in the states anymore (no idea why, but their CS was nowhere near their reputation towards the end).
deal with them now, as well as the fine gents at the Warwick NY Office.

It might be worth just sending them an email about it and finding out. Worst thing to happen is that they email you back, telling you it will cost the price of a new neck (and I think they have a 1 in, 1 out policy but not sure). At that point, you're only out the time typing.

BTDT, actually. They said it'd be $700 for a new neck, and for whatever reason I'd have to ship the bass to them (in Germany, if I'm remembering right). I couldn't get $800 for the whole bass if I tried to sell it.

• Members

Actually, DBG doesn't handle Warwick in the states anymore (no idea why, but their CS was nowhere near their reputation towards the end).
deal with them now, as well as the fine gents at the Warwick NY Office.

I didn't know that! Then again, I'm in England, so no big surprise that this passed me by...

• Members

BTDT, actually. They said it'd be $700 for a new neck, and for whatever reason I'd have to ship the bass to them (in Germany, if I'm remembering right). I couldn't get $800 for the whole bass if I tried to sell it.

Bummer about the neck. Probably that "one in, one out" policy they have. Surprised that Tyler couldn't do it at the NY office, but maybe he's not equipped for that kind of overhaul.

You could also see if there's a luthier in town that would build you a new one for cheaper.

• Members

Bummer about the neck. Probably that "one in, one out" policy they have. Surprised that Tyler couldn't do it at the NY office, but maybe he's not equipped for that kind of overhaul.

You could also see if there's a luthier in town that would build you a new one for cheaper.

I'm looking into that. Seems like I'd probably have to settle for more common types of wood than Warwick uses in order to keep the cost down.

• Members

I'm looking into that. Seems like I'd probably have to settle for more common types of wood than Warwick uses in order to keep the cost down.

If the luthier can salvage the fingerboard and make the neck out of maple, you'd have a cross between a Corvette and a Streamer Stage I.

Archived