Bass Pedal Advice

Ryan.

• Members

So since that last pedal was shot down in an instant, I'd like to ask you all for advice on a pedal purchase.

Our bassist is looking for a pedal that will basically just give him a bit of a boost. I'm thinking EQ/Distortion/Volume... one of these.

We are a three piece, and when the singer isn't singing we'd like to be able to just fill the void (especially during guitar solos.)

What would you guys recommend for a stomp pedal for this purpose?

Thanks for any and all advice. :wave:

• Members

If I were to buy a boost pedal I'd get a Markbass Superbooster. Boost, and stompable midrange cut and low pass filter.

If I were to get a distortion pedal it'd be a Dave Hall Vt2 I think, or maybe just a Sansamp VT if I was going cheap.

• Members

For just boost Id use a compressor/sustainer. While an eq pedal and overdrive can also boost the signal, its better to use the eq for tonal tweaks as its main thing. Useing an overdrive pedal for a boost and no overdrive isnt good use of the pedal imo. With a compressor you can boost the signal as well as prevent the fast transient peaks from clipping the preamp of amp.

• Members

Xotic Bass RC Booster is just this.

I have one.

Just a full, clean boost. Or MXR Micro Amp is a cheaper solution.

Or if you want a lil dirt, get the Xotic Bass BB Preamp.

Best ones I've ever had and I've had most 'em all.

• Members

Try the Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion which has a 7 band graphic EQ (which can be used for clean boost), a Clean Mix knob and a Distortion Mix knob and a variety of uniques distortions.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

A pedal isn't going to fill the void. It can fatten up the bass tone, but you can't really fix the change in sound when the guitard isn't playing chords. The bassist just needs to get a little more creative on thickening up his sound. Power Chords can help a bunch when the guitard is playing a solo.

I'm in my second power-trio and the trick is crafting the songs so the bassist can thicken parts where it's needed. (I sing and play bass in my current project).

That being said, I'm really diggin the EH English Muff'n. It's a Plexi front end, but works GREAT with bass for some stank aunch on the bass.:thu:

• Members

I've heard the FEARFULL 15/6/157/57189/.015 design works well for this.

It also cures cancer.

And grows $100 bills from the input jack at a rate of 50 per second.

All for around 600 bucks.

Did I mention the cancer bit?

• Members

I've heard the FEARFULL (TM) 15/6/157/57189/.015 design works well for this.

It also cures cancer.

And grows $100 bills from the input jack at a rate of 50 per second.

All for around 600 bucks.

Did I mention the cancer bit?

Been on Talkbass, eh? ;)

• Members

Sansamp is a good choice. There are actually a couple different models of Sansamp that your bassist should consider to find the one that fits his needs.

I have used overdrive pedals for similar situations. I don't go for a lot of gain, just a little.

Playing-wise, what is happening to your sound is that the harmonic content is disappearing when the guitarist takes a solo. Add a little dirt if you want, but to really fill the sound you need those notes. If the bassist plays some simple power chords, maybe up an octave, it'll help a ton.

• Members

Sansamp is a good choice. There are actually a couple different models of Sansamp that your bassist should consider to find the one that fits his needs.

I have used overdrive pedals for similar situations. I don't go for a lot of gain, just a little.

Playing-wise, what is happening to your sound is that the harmonic content is disappearing when the guitarist takes a solo. Add a little dirt if you want, but to really fill the sound you need those notes. If the bassist plays some simple power chords, maybe up an octave, it'll help a ton.

A few people have said that... about the power chords. I think its a great idea. We'll have to try it at the next band practice.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Dude, screw everything you have heard so far. There is this dude that hangs on here called guttermouth. Touch base with him, tell him what you want, and he will build it for you. Not only that, he will give it some kind of wild name, and paint it out all with all kinds of badassedness and {censored}. :thu:

• Members

Dude, screw everything you have heard so far. There is this dude that hangs on here called guttermouth. Touch base with him, tell him what you want, and he will build it for you. Not only that, he will give it some kind of wild name, and paint it out all with all kinds of badassedness and {censored}.
:thu:

This works too.

• Members

Dude, screw everything you have heard so far. There is this dude that hangs on here called guttermouth. Touch base with him, tell him what you want, and he will build it for you. Not only that, he will give it some kind of wild name, and paint it out all with all kinds of badassedness and {censored}.
:thu:

So this is for real?

Archived