Trying to decide on a new vacation destination...

Dark Slide

• Members

... last year I went to Rome, and had an amazing time. I got a lot of great tips from people on here and figured while trying to decide on a new destination, you guys might have some MORE good advice.

I think the only problem with going to Rome is that I may have a hard time topping it. I thought about perhaps going to Greece, as I really enjoy getting a glimpse of ancient civilization, but I'm not sure. I know Paris is a place that everyone says you should visit, but I'm just not sure there would be enough there of interest to me.

I may actually end up going back to Rome, as there were things I did not have the chance to do... such as get a tour of the Necropolis under St. Peter's and a couple of other things that got missed last time. I have a bit of a hard time justifying spending money to go back to Rome when I could be seeing something totally new though.

• Members

How about Ireland ?

As far as I know, some fellow forumites came here and enjoyed themselves.

You could always go to your local library, get out books on countries you are interested in, read up on them and see what country interests you the most. :idea:

• Members

You could go back to Rome and then do some other bits of Italy. Venice is magnificent, and between the two lie Florence, Sienna, Pisa... Even Naples or Milan wouldn't be too much of a stretch, and Italian trains are renowned for running on time (!).

• Members

I actually discussed Ireland a couple of times, and could definitely be an option!

I may go to Tokyo at some point, but that will likely be just to see and/or train at the Kodokan.

I've done a fair bit of research, but the BEST way to get information, I've found, is from people who have experienced it themselves.

Thanks!

• Moderators

How about Ireland ?

As far as I know, some fellow forumites came here and enjoyed themselves.

You could always go to your local library, get out books on countries you are interested in, read up on them and see what country interests you the most.
:idea:

Is it true that all of the Irish B&B's are now being run by people from Poland?

• Members

Is it true that all of the Irish B&B's are now being run by people from Poland?

Not sure about that. I have not stayed in a B&B for quite some time. It is true that there are a lot of Poles here, and while they probably are not running all the B&B's, it is quite possible they are involved in many. It is generally accepted that the traditional Irish B&B is on the decline.

• Members

I've done a fair bit of research, but the BEST way to get information, I've found, is from people who have experienced it themselves.

If I can be of any help with information on Ireland let me know.

I'm sure your esteemed moderater Super Bass will oblige also. ;)

• Moderators

Not sure about that. I have not stayed in a B&B for quite some time. It is true that there are a lot of Poles here, and while they probably are not running
all
the B&B's, it is quite possible they are involved in many. It is generally accepted that the traditional Irish B&B is on the decline.

Well, I figured that, even if there were some truth to it, that to say all would be an exaggeration. Just as Pakistanis don't run all of the motels in the US.

• Members

Well, I figured that, even if there were some truth to it, that to say all would be an exaggeration. Just as Pakistanis don't run all of the motels in the US.

Well yes, there is probably some truth in it.

• Members

Roatan, Honduras, if you snorkel/scuba.

Yep. Absolutely if you don't mind the periodic influx of cruise ship 'socks & sandals' crowd or have to have a Wendy's nearby.

If not, go instead to my favorite island, Utila (which is just a few miles away from Roatan). A little funkier and definitely has a bigger/better selection of '20 something' backpacking European babes.

• Members

Rio absolutely rocks! I'm going for the 10th time for Christmas and New Years.:love:

I was in Lyon, Nice, Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Lisbon a few weeks ago. Very cool cities.:thu:

As far as Mexico goes, Puerto Vallarta is great. Really good bands there.:cool:

Archived