Finished My Warmoth Fretless Project...(with pics)

starfire_Xes

• Members

:cool: So, I had a couple of issues, but nothing major.

Final result: Swamp ash (4.5lb) body, satin-nitro finished maple neck with jet black ebony fingerboard, gold schaller BML tuners, gold Gotoh 210 bridge, seymour duncan QP pickups, finished in white pearl. I will get another pickguard (cream), and put vintage pups in.

The sound and setup: The action is set as low as I can without buzz, but I am going to have a luthier do a pro setup, and he agreed to teach me how to do it also. Really good mwah sound, and a very highly resonant 'swamp ash hollow' sound. In fact, this body is so resonant that it 'howls' sometimes with harmonics. Really cool sound that Ive never had in a bass I owned. The seymour duncan pups are a bit thicker and darker than vintage (they are humbucking) but the bass is dead quiet, and has a HUGE output. It tuned up perfectly after I set the intonation, These would probably be good metal pickups, but with a little playing with my setup im sure i can get a good jazz tone also (im not satisfied yet :p) The fit of everything was really precise, I had to hammer in the tuner ferrules with a rubber mallet, and the neck is extremely tight.

What I learned: I will put a jazz bass pup option in the bridge postion on the next build, and I will go with rear-routed, pickguards are a hassle and this would have looked even better with no pickguard. I haven't had much trouble playing it, hitting the 'right' notes isn't really hard at all IF you know your fretboard theory. In fact, Im surprised I can do what I can do on it already (even though I havent even touched my P bass or played bass in 20 years) Currently I just play into a focusrite compressor/instrument channel, and patch into my EMU-1616 sound card, so i can equalize and record, and learn songs (Plus, I can play in the middle of the night) I'll post some quick soundbites later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice I received, it was VERY useful.

• Members

I bought the same neck for a project bass. Unbelievably nice necks.

Great bass!

If all warmoth necks are like this, then Im sold on them. Unbelievably fast, and really high quality wood, though i didnt order anything special. I'd like to do one more build, with hollow maple as a body wood,hollow, hand use some good exotic tonewoods, finish it clear. This bass is a joy to play, I can really play fast, only thing I dont understand, is, when I intonated it, the position marks ended up exactly on the frets, (rather than in between) which made it really easy to find my way around the neck. Im already working in some multi-flat and sharp keys without much problem.

• Members

If all warmoth necks are like this, then Im sold on them. Unbelievably fast, and really high quality wood, though i didnt order anything special. I'd like to do one more build, with hollow maple as a body wood,hollow, hand use some good exotic tonewoods, finish it clear. This bass is a joy to play, I can really play fast, only thing I dont understand, is, when I intonated it, the position marks ended up exactly on the frets, (rather than in between) which made it really easy to find my way around the neck. Im already working in some multi-flat and sharp keys without much problem.

That's how they come now, with the markers where the frets would be. My old '73 Fender fretless had the markers where the markers are for a fretted bass, but they don't make them like that now.

• Members

I didn't have markers on the board, just the side ones, and I realized, I dont use the ones on the board when i play guitar or bass, just the side markers. And I'm glad you mentioned the markers are on the frets now, because now I know I intonated it correctly. (Well, I knew because I have ears too)

• Members

That's how they come now, with the markers where the frets would be. My old '73 Fender fretless had the markers where the markers are for a fretted bass, but they don't make them like that now.

Yes. Warmoth fretless basses (and most others I know of) put the indicator spots directly at the fret locations if they are unlined. Sounds great! Enjoy!

Archived