Fran Sheehan's tone on Boston's Don't Look Back

RoboChrist

• Moderators

I always loved that tone he got, no doubt Tom Scholz did something to give it that subharmonic effect, anyone in the know shed some light on it? Did they have subharmonizers in the '70s?

Possibly, bit I doubt that's it. Truth is, most people don't realize just how low 40 Hz really is. Even bass players.

• Members

I could be wrong but it might have been Tom Scholz who laid most of the tracks on the first two albums, Fran was more of a live player. Given his penchant for studio wizardry I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of doubling or layering of the bass track to give it more oomph.

• Members

I didn't hear it on this song, although I may have to dig out the vinyl and give it another listen :love:, a lot of that sub harmonizer sound on other Boston songs came from a Hammond organ. As isaac42, the fundamental on a low E bass string is pretty low but many may have never heard it. I always remember the quote from the liner notes: "No synthesizers used. No computers used." Tom Sholz.

• Members

I thought Tom Scholz did all of the bass on the Boston records with a modded Gibson bass. Lots and lots of studio fiddling was used, I'm sure.

Great bass on those albums; sits perfectly in the otherwise busy-guitar mix. I always figured it was a P Bass, but no.

• Members

I thought Tom Scholz did all of the bass on the Boston records with a modded Gibson bass. Lots and lots of studio fiddling was used, I'm sure.

Great bass on those albums; sits perfectly in the otherwise busy-guitar mix. I always figured it was a P Bass, but no.

I was always impressed with the actual bass lines he wrote. Definately not the typical "guitarist picks up bass" style at all.

• Members

I was always impressed with the actual bass lines he wrote. Definately not the typical "guitarist picks up bass" style at all.

Yes. Lots of classic bass counterpoint, not the "play along with the guitar part" you might expect. He has a real appreciation of the movement a bass line can deliver.

Great bass parts and playing, yet those records rarely get mentioned when someone asks, "what should I listen to to learn great bass parts?"

Archived