4-string down to B - what strings?

satannica

• Members

Hiya

I used to use the Ernie Ball 5-string super slinky set on my 5-string bass. As I no longer own a 5-string, I want to tune one of my 4-strings (probably the Ibanez) down to B.

Aside from buying a standard 5-string set and chucking the top string, are there any sets out there designed for this purpose?

• Members

Are you wanting to drop tune to drop B or B standard, or simply string up as lowest 4 strings of a 5 string, at BEAD?

Also, forget the DDTs from the onset. Worst and darkest strings I ever used.

• Members

Wow....def lots of sizes to choose from.

Skip from Knuclebass (the 39.5" scale basses) owns the business. He's been a forum member here, talkbass, and ebassist for many years and has done a mega{censored}eton of reasearch on strings and scale length effects, really really knows his {censored}e. Plus one of the nicest guys you'll eve do business with. I have a set of his hybid (nickel/steel) balanced strings on my G&L and love 'em.

• Members

As someone who has been tuning 4 strings to BEAD for years now, my recommendation is to first try detuning with the standard set that's on there first. It may or may not work for you. I have a couple of basses that I was able to do this with and it has worked well. On others, I just used the BEAD strings from a 5 string set with good results.

• Members

I may have to go for a 5-string set.

I record a lot of my music in C standard. Oddly, B was just a bit too dead for me.

I have Ernie Super Slinky on my 4-string at the moment. In C, the tone was a bit too flat and dull.

• Members

I may have to go for a 5-string set.

I record a lot of my music in C standard. Oddly, B was just a bit too dead for me.

I have Ernie Super Slinky on my 4-string at the moment. In C, the tone was a bit too flat and dull.

We play in drop C.

Anything I would say more than 1/2 step down, get some Circle K's. Best {censored} evar.

• Moderators

Are you wanting to drop tune to drop B or B standard, or simply string up as lowest 4 strings of a 5 string, at BEAD?

Also, forget the DDTs from the onset. Worst and darkest strings I ever used.

and no one said, "B standard is the same as BEAD." So, I had to ask.

• Members

That's what I would have thought, but I saw this post:

and no one said, "B standard is the same as BEAD." So, I had to ask.

I guess now thinking about that, that is true. Lowest I've ever gone is C std but counting that out, it is the same.

• Members

This may be another derpy question... er... what gauge do I need? LOL!

This is going on a Fender P-bass, tuned to C. I like light feeling strings, not too much effort. My amp is a Warwick CL series with 2x12" speakers.

Balanced tension is FTW, which is why Circle K's are ftw. :thu: The higher strings are still playable while still retaining their pitch and tension correctly.

For a low C, Skip usually recommends a low .118 or .124 set. But trust me, they feel way lighter than how they look on paper.

• Members

Balanced tension is FTW, which is why Circle K's are ftw.
:thu:
The higher strings are still playable while still retaining their pitch and tension correctly.

For a low C, Skip usually recommends a low .118 or .124 set. But trust me, they feel way lighter than how they look on paper.

I just had a quick look... $14 for shipping plus tax/duty when it lands makes it

• Moderators

This may be another derpy question... er... what gauge do I need? LOL!

This is going on a Fender P-bass, tuned to C. I like light feeling strings, not too much effort. My amp is a Warwick CL series with 2x12" speakers.

What gauge do you have on the E, A and D now? If you like what you have, go with the same gauge on those strings, and get a set that matches those with the low B. So, for instance, if your current strings are .045, .065, .085 and .105, got for a set that is, say, .065, .085, .105 and .125. Or something like that. Or go a little lighter or a little heavier, as you prefer.

Archived