im a Guitar Player wanting to learn PROPER BASS, have bass...now need AMP, help!!!

Johansolo

• Members

i dont know why i've decided to open another blackhole in gear aquisition, but im looking at getting a bass amp of some sort. im mainly a guitar player, but ive always appreciated bass players (you wont hear any bassist jokes from me, only ones about drumtards) and want to have a dabble.

been netsearching and realised...i know sweet FA about bass products. help...

some more info before the recommendations come in...

- I'm not gigging or in a band, so big volume/wattage numbers are not a factor,

however, sound and quality/value for dollar are.

- i have no preference to head/cab or combo and it wont be moved at all.

- ill be using it for practice and recording so a good DI/line out feature is essential

(at the momment in just plugging straight into DAW/plug ins)

- i like slap/funk bass, but i also like the sound of nasty bass fuzz

(which ill use pedals for)

at the momment, im leaning towards stuff by Ashdown Engineering (After Eight, Perfect Ten, five fifteen) or the Orange Crush Pix series.

anyone have any advice on these 2 products/models?

the Ampeb BA115 and Warwick (Blue/sweet/take?) stuff has also caught my eye, but this is all purely from brand name recognition and aesthetics?

budget is hopefully as least as i can get away with, but still be quality for what i want to use it for (recording and home playing)

• Members

also...this is my bass if it is of any help

its an old Yammaha RBX 460

P1020786-1.jpg

ill prob order/bid on a bass amp online/ebay, but im not opposed to looking for something used. just need some more knowledge on what to look out for/what to stay the hell away from?

• Members

Yeah, the BA-115 is very underwhelming. Ashdown makes a 410 combo that I have actually played as a backline once. It killed! Its also heavy as a medium sized water buffalo. Check this out.... http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=11 I think they are pretty plentiful in OZ, from what I understand. As far as recording, you may wanna mix your line out with a beta 52 mic to get the best tonage. Maybe experiment with an SM-57 and the beta 52 to find the most suitable tone for you.

Archived