Relicing A Bass

RevMachineBass

• Members

I've bought used basses. A nicely worn bass is fine with me and in a "played in" instrument the wood has build it's character. There's quite a difference between a bass with battle scars and one with plant scars.
As I'm one of those, who believe in keeping my tools in good condition, I would think twice about buing an abused bass, though.

• Members

So no one here ever buys a used instrument, because...any imperfections on it are then....a LIE.

I certainly wouldn't buy an instrument that was in great condition twenty minutes ago, just before someone took sandpaper to it. I think natural wear looks great. My P bass looks like a hunk of trash to anyone else, but to me it's perfect.

• Members

So no one here ever buys a used instrument, because...any imperfections on it are then....a LIE.

Most of those imperfections were from the instrument being played when you buy used. Buying a reliced or road worn instrument is is new condition, never being played.

I like the look of a well worn instrument, but I'd never buy a fake. I play all of mine, and one day they'll have that nice character to them.

And that poor J bass on the last page. Words cannot describe.

• Members

Most of those imperfections were from the instrument being played when you buy used. Buying a reliced or road worn instrument is is new condition, never being played.

I like the look of a well worn instrument, but I'd never buy a fake. I play all of mine, and one day they'll have that nice character to them.

And that poor J bass on the last page. Words cannot describe.

No I think you guys are way too up on your high horse about this {censored}. Some kid has a bass, plays it in his bedroom, dings it up. Banged it on the dresser, smoked dope with his friends and burned a hole in the pickguard, nicks up the paint and those are "valid" imperfections in the used instrument (after all, he was PLAYING it...well, when he wasn't getting high) but someone tints the laquer on the neck, and puts aged nickel tuners on the thing and all of a sudden it's a "poseur prop" - LOL!

• Members

Personally, I dont see the logic in a person going out of their way to "relic" a bass, no more than I do if someone with a nice shiny car was to take a screwdriver to the paintwork, to encourage rust to develop.

If that's what floats your boat... :idk:

• Members

Do finishes even really wear like we're talking about anymore?

I mean, I've got seveal 30+ year old poly-finish instruments, and I've played/gigged the hell out of them. They've got cracks and dings and I've worn down the frets and portions of the neck and everything else, but the general body finish and chrome trim is tough as hell, excepting for the occasional sharp-edged impact.

Hell, based on my experience I think the poly might be harder than the fret material.

• Members

Do finishes even really wear like we're talking about anymore?

That's sort of the problem. If you're buying from major manufacturers you are pretty much limited to a poly coated instrument that won't ever wear from your playing or something that's been pre-distressed to someone else's idea of wear.

• Members

It's the same logic as someone going out of their way to get a red bass, or a flame maple top, or a checkered binding or any of a million asthetic choices made every day. They like the way it looks. The only difference is nobody gets all high and mighty {censored}ting all over people for choosing "red".

if you bought a red bass all shiny and new, or someones used red bass with a few nicks and scratches on it...either way. Then you decided to belt sand it to death and then defend why you did it and how "cool" it may look to you.

the whole point of this discussion was relicing a bass with a sander that looks like the OP's picture, not carefully selecting and paying for the talent and labor it takes to get it to look old with a real honest OLD look.

since this thread is surviving the all out fight wars, I'm glad it is still a civil discussion, but my BIGGEST bitch is people will pay much more for a professionally reliced unit and be proud of the fact they paid so much more, but then flip out publicly because Abercrombie+Bitch charges you 80 bucks and not 35 for some "reliced" torn up jeans which is the same exact thing.....premature wear FAKED.

• Members
if you bought a red bass all shiny and new, or someones used red bass with a few nicks and scratches on it...either way. Then you decided to belt sand it to death and then defend why you did it and how "cool" it may look to you.

the whole point of this discussion was relicing a bass with a sander that looks like the OP's picture, not carefully selecting and paying for the talent and labor it takes to get it to look old with a real honest OLD look.

since this thread is surviving the all out fight wars, I'm glad it is still a civil discussion, but my BIGGEST bitch is people will pay much more for a professionally reliced unit and be proud of the fact they paid so much more, but then flip out publicly because Abercrombie+Bitch charges you 80 bucks and not 35 for some "reliced" torn up jeans which is the same exact thing.....premature wear FAKED.

:lol:

• Members

Ah no. The point of this discussion was someone looking for advice on how to relic a bass. The OP did not include a picture or mention a belt sander. He asked for advice and was rewarded with a bunch of {censored}-talking and pretension.

• Members

Ah no. The point of this discussion was someone looking for advice on how to relic a bass. The OP did not include a picture or mention a belt sander. He asked for advice and was rewarded with a bunch of {censored}-talking and pretension.

Absolutely right. In fact he wasn't even asking for advice, just help finding information. I'm purdy sure the sanded Jazz pic was added as an example of going too far/what not to do...

Archived