Wireless for bass?

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

Looking into it for a friend. He's looking to get a present for his step son, and doesn't know what to look for. Frankly, neither do I. I'd assume all wirelesses that terminate in instrument jacks would work well with guitar or bass, but I'm not even sure how true that is.

Any reccomendations? I know I heard a few good things about the line6 wireless. I gave him that make/model and he got squirmy at the $400 price tag. He's hoping to keep it about $300ish.

I had a Sure or a Nady about 20 years ago. It was a cheap-o 1 channel design that had me amplifying flight chatter a'la Nigel. I'm assuming modern models don't do that.

Anyone here had particularly good or bad experineces with wireless units on bass?

• Members

Line 6 G50 + the multipack of Eneloop rechargeables = WIN.

Since we have 4 wirelesses on stage, we use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B003VLAEPQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323731683&sr=1-3

I use this one: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-X2D-RELAYG50-LIST

got on Flexpay.

This angle cable replaces the straight-to-straight Line 6 gives you:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SHU-WA304-LIST

JC

• Members

I use a Samson Airline 77. It has a small bug instead of the fanny pack like most other wireless units. Some of the other forumites have had some bad times with them, but I have not, other than dropping my bass one time and shattering the bug. I have had two units in the last seven or eight years and never had an issue.

• Members

I haven't tried this but Id imagine something like a sennheiser lavalier would be really good for this. I've used them as vocal mics and they are ok[only because the mics aren't great], but the signal is really clear and it has great range and very good battery life. Like I said i've only used it with mic level imputs though.

• Members

I've been using the Line 6 G30 for the last year with no problems and it's right in his price range. The receiver is plastic so he might want to keep it in his pedalboard and the battery door on the transmitter is a little sketchy... likes to pop open if it's bumped. I just wrap a little blue painter's tape (because it doesn't leave any residue) around the transmitter and my strap. Keeps the door secured and keeps it from falling off my strap when I jump around. As far as the sound goes, I can't hear a difference between it and a cord. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use the Line-6 G90. Absolutely worth the money. I was out in the foyer of a venue one time, and never lost the signal.

FWIW, I have done the same thing with my Samson unit. :idk: I use it during band practices, and can leave the studio, walk upstairs, go to the kitchen grab a beer and still be playing the whole time....:lol:

• Members

obvious question here, what does this kid need a wireless for? is he playing huge gigs and needs to run around the stadium stage?

I highly doubt it! When I was about 18-19 is when I got mine, and I never gigged it once, but I did have a great time with it.

I reccomended the line 6, the guy called the local store who don't sell Line6... He was talked into whatever they do sell. Same price, not as good a feature set from what I read. Doesn't matter. I'm sure the kid is pleased as piss as he actually got a wireless. Another Christamas dream come true. Thanks for the replies everyone!! They fell on deaf ears, but it's the thought that counts!!

• Members

I have to say that it is really, really nice not having to worry about stepping on your chord while onstage.

Exactly - besides being able to cross the stage without getting tangled up with the guitars or singer, and getting out front to see what you and your band sound like thru the PA... I've been wireless for a few years now, and don't see myself going back to being plugged in...

I use the older XDR-95 and XDS-PLUS units, and they've been great - but will also highly recommend the G50... If/when my X2 stuff craps out, I'll be going to the G50 or G90...

- georgestrings

Archived