Interested in picking up '70's Ventura Bass!!

skipstar59

• Members

I've got a lead on a "mint' condition '70's Ventura "Lawsuit" Jazz Bass. It's got not blemishes on it at all. I thinks it's lived in its case untouched for it's whole life. Anyway, the guy will take $175 for it. I hope some out there have first hand experience on this bass. Are these basses well made? Here's some pics of what it looks like. It even has the pickup and bride covers on it.Thanks in advance for any info on this bass.

ventura2076340ah3.jpg

ventura12094915hd3.jpg

• Members

Ventura is a Matsomoku brand, but their stuff from that period is not as good quality as the later Aria Pro and Westone guitars and basses. But they're still better than the late 60's Teiscos. The electronics will no doubt be very cheap, but if the bass hasn't been used much you may be OK for a while. But if the neck is straight and you like the way it plays, go for it.

My gut feeling is the quality will be no better than a similarly-priced import bass you could get new, like a Xaviere, SX or Rondo.

• Members

Well I got a deal on the Ventura "Lawsuit" Jazz I was looking at. The pawnshop owner sold it to me for $165 and threw in a set of GHS Boomers. The bass is in very good condition for a bass born in 1975. Here's some quick pics I took today.

download-5.jpg

download-6.jpg

Real Fender Jazz that the Ventura is supposed to be modeled after:

JazzBass.jpg

The '75 Ventura & my '74 Fender Jazz:

download-7.jpg

• Members

Is it a one-piece body ? Many of the japanese basses of that era had one. Many of them were good, too, when you swopped the p/us.

I like the fingerrest is on the proper, old-fashioned side.

Yea Cpt. it is a one piece body.A pretty good piece of wood at that. I dig the finger rest also.:)

Archived