Rush (the band) versus Rush (the radio guy)

The Lurker

• Members

Rush has issued Rush Limbaugh with
demanding that he stop playing their music on his radio show....

First he loses most of his advertising clients, now he's losing his background music... what's next, his Oxycontin prescription?

From the link..."According to media reports, Rush Limbaugh, Premiere Radio Networks and The Rush Limbaugh Show have been using Rush's recorded music as part of what is essentially a political broadcast."

I don't think they can really enforce this clause as Rush Limbaugh isn't a politician and isn't running for any political office. He has always maintained he is an "entertainer". Limbaugh will probably drop their music voluntarily but I doubt they would win a case in court.

• Members

When he first attacked Fluke, Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer was playing. Gabriel asked him to never play his music again on his show, and apparently that request will be followed. Rush may end up catching a terrible case of Cat Scratch Fever if all the other acts he plays follow suit.

• Members

Not going to get into politics of it. Just want to say, should be the artists right to not associate themselves with someone they disagree with.

Signed

A big Pretenders fan

Oh I agree, just that legally, I don't think they have a leg to stand on once they've sold the music for public use. It would be nice if artists retain some form of control but of course that would make those who pay for the right to play the music a bit of a pause (I guess they could get a refund?)

• Members

I don't think they can prevent him from playing their music, but I think he has to pay royalties if he does.

I'd bet that is's some general license to use music, similar to what a bar does where copy music is played.

• Members

I'd bet that is's some general license to use music, similar to what a bar does where copy music is played.

That's what I remember from a couple of years ago with the Pretenders. Still doesn't seem right. Seems that agreement is meant for a radio station that plays music. Just not the same here, the artist should have to sign some agreement for a political show. By the way, I'd feel the same way if Nugent didn't want his work to be associated with a liberal show.

• Moderators

That's what I remember from a couple of years ago with the Pretenders. Still doesn't seem right. Seems that agreement is meant for a radio station that plays music. Just not the same here, the artist should have to sign some agreement for a political show. By the way, I'd feel the same way if Nugent didn't want his work to be associated with a liberal show.

I'd prefer it to be that way, too. I just don't know that it is that way.

• Members

Someone needs to pass that idea to Al Gore.....

Archived