Flat Wounds on an 8 string

Rune125

• Members

I recently inherited a very nice 8 string Schecter. I loved the bass but it came with round wounds. I hate round wounds the sound is just too ringy, the round wounds made the octaves too twangy.. Looked all over for flat wounds and finally talked to La Bella about making up some flat 8's. Strings came the other day and La Bella did an awesome job of making the strings. The flats give just enough presence to the octave with out over powering the basic four. I had to buy 6 sets so if any 8 players want to try the flats I have 3 sets for sale.

• Members

I have a couple of 8-string basses, a Schecter Studio 8 and a Galveston 8. (The Schecter Studio 8 uses 4 pairs of strings, the Galveston is a true 8-stringer).

I haven't put too much thought into it, but, I was thinking about loading the Schecter with a mix of off-the-shelf "half round" (ground-wound) strings. Since the Schecter has a 34-inch scale length, all that would be needed would be to get strings with the correct speaking length. Like I said, I haven't done my homework on this endeavor yet.

Schecter%20Stiletto%20Studio-8%20Bass.jp

• Members

8-strings are always going to be ringy. That said, I have found it really helps if you allow the octave strings to wear down more than the fundamentals so they're not as bright-- I change the bass strings about twice as often as the octaves unless I break one.

I tried flats on an 8-string once and it was unadulterated lousy.

• Members

It would largely depend upon which brand of flats. I personally wouldn't use Fender flats for anything other baling hay. D'Addario chromes have more treble sound sound than say La Bella. It is a matter of preference. Most players use rounds. I happen to love the way flats sound as I'm a little old school. The flat 8's that La Bella built for me suit my ears. To someone else it may sound too thuddy and dull.

• Members

I agree about the Fender strings. I used D'addarios too, coupled with flatwound guitar strings (and I had a heck of a hard time finding those in a long enough make!). The combination just didn't work out. I have three other basses with flats, but it just didn't work on the 8-string.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

This is a really old post, but I figure, why not ask. 

If you still have any of those strings I'd be interested in a couple of sets of 8 string flats if you happen to have them still. I imagine they last a long time. 

Thanks.

Jeff

Archived