Designed a guitar, now I'm going to protect it

BeeTL

• Members

Your design has been stolen by MEANNESS.

As a formidable lawyer himself in copyright law, you will not beat him in court. Instead, you should PM me for an address so you may buy your designs back from him. I advise you should do this immediately, before he starts demanding royalties.

• Members

Exactly what I was thinking!
:lol:

"Designed a guitar, now I'm going to protect it.... by posting it on a public forum before my patent is registered!"

:facepalm:

Nice design, though!
:thu:

Perhaps posting pics of your your design, where the dates are "stamped" on the posts, and ownership is quite clear, is part of protecting your design? Maybe this is a good thing? I'm not sure.

• Members

I have the secret formula for curing cancer. But I'm going to patent it.

So here it is:

...... waitaminnit!! You tricked me!
:facepalm:
:poke:

Chuck Norris' tears contain a chemical known to cure all forms of cancer within 24 hours and without any side effects....

Too bad he has never cried. :lol:

• Members

The headstock is a winner. Not sure the body does much for me.

Same thought here. The headstock is nice but the body isn't my cup of tea.

Good for you trying to go above and beyond though!

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I thought about starting a new thread but decided to resurrect this one instead.

After reviewing the standards the guitar industry follows I have applied to register my "bottle opener" headstock design with the USPTO.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85237520&action=Request+Status

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85237521&action=Request+Status

There is no question that the bottle opener headstock design distinguishes a Lowe Custom Guitar from any other brand on the US market today, and registering this design is consistent with my business goals for LCG over the long term.

• Members

Brad, I for one am glad to see you moving beyond being just an assembler to a builder of your own designs. Anyone can assemble a bass, or source the parts and have a local tech assemble a bass, and imo those people are not 'builders.' I also think you have a very unique and identifiable style that shows in your original drawings. I like that. Still, your market for that body shape is going to be very small. Bass players aren't going to like it. I get a lot of comments from bass players on my oddball shaped basses, and they are mostly along the lines of the basses are too 'out there', too non-fender like, too pointy, too flashy, etc etc. But, every non player that has seen them has been totally blown away. They are not used to stylish stuff like that and love it. I think your bass would fall into that category too. If I were looking to get a Lowe bass, I would only want the one that was a true Lowe bass, not just some bought fender shaped body that you painted. I would want the total Lowe style package. I hope you can find your place in that market, as small as it is, because I do think you have something there to offer that is unique enough to stand out on it's own.

Archived