Single Cutaway Xylem Bass

XylemBassGuitar

• Members

Pretty cool! My only concern with the design is the angle of the pickups. The higher strings will sound significantly brighter that the lower ones with that angle. What were your thoughts on implementing this concept? Wouldn't an angle that is [that way] have a more balanced tone across the strings?

:D

• Members

Thanks for checking out the bass everyone! :D

have a more balanced tone across the strings?

:D

I've angled pickups on basses that way before and, to my ear, it sounds excellent. That configuration might not be best for every player, some will love it and others might prefer something different...but what bass designs do appeal to every single bass player?

Oh, I forgot to mention, this bass will be going to Premier Bass Guitars in Superior Colorado when it's finished. If you're in the neighborhood in a month or so, stop by and give it a try!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My Gibby Victory has a neck pup angled out like that and sounds great solo'd. I don't ever recall anyone complaining about the tone of a P bass either...

Yep, personally I really like the angle pickup sound :)

Alright, finished dealing with a deluge of repair work, time to get back to building! I've got the body shape all cut out:

single-cut-bass-body-3.jpg

single-cut-bass-neck-pocket.jpg

single-cut-bass-body.jpg

Did I mention I'm working on these two basses also?

hayagawa-bass-body.jpg

sumitsukigasa-bass-scroll.jpg

Have a great weekend ladies and gents!

• Members

My Gibby Victory has a neck pup angled out like that and sounds great solo'd. I don't ever recall anyone complaining about the tone of a P bass either...

A P Bass is a different animal, as the pups are staggered, not angled. I think the angle issue was focused more on the original post subject rather than all basses with slanted pups.

Nope, I never heard anyone complain about the P-Bass tone either. Thanks again, Fender.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Is there a difference between bois de rose and rosewood?

Yep, they are different species. There are actually several different species called "rosewood" and also several others called "bois de rose" (which just means "woods that's red"). Pretty much all of the bois de rose I've worked with is dark purple, and I've never seen a piece of dark purple rosewood...although it wouldn't surprise me if they were related.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Pretty much all of the bois de rose I've worked with is dark purple, and I've never seen a piece of dark purple rosewood...although it wouldn't surprise me if they were related.

Actually, I just received a piece of really dark purple rosewood a few weeks ago for a new bass. The bois de rose and rosewood still have pretty different grain patterns though...

Archived