I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

I simply want a 20k bump in pay, 4 weeks vacation annually, a 20% non-performance-related bonus, a 20% signing bonus and be less than 10 miles from home. With much less office politics, state of the art equipment and the ability to work from home once a week.

Why is this so difficult!?!? mad.gifmad.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Hell, a lateral and closer to home is really all I'm hoping for at this point. Dropping from 42 miles each way to a 10 mile round trip would do wonders to save on gas as well as wear and tear on my car.

If you want a 20K bump in real wages, fewer dickheads in the office, and less wear and tear on the car, try moving out of L.A. biggrin.gif

It's not like we don't have deserts anywhere else. wink.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

If you want a 20K bump in real wages, fewer dickheads in the office, and less wear and tear on the car, try moving out of L.A. biggrin.gif

It's not like we don't have deserts anywhere else. wink.gif

Yes, but I'd like my desert near the ocean tongue.gif

To be honest, there's not many places where I could move and get a bump in salary. I'd just have to hope for a better salary:cost-of-living ratio.

Dunno, not many places in the 'states besides Southern California that I'd want to live. Hawaii's the other but I'm doing better on the salary:cost ratio here wink.gif

Maybe I should look into jobs in the U.S. Virgin Islands cool.gifthumb.gif

I must admit, though, I was damn tempted to apply for a job in Brussels. If I'm gonna make a jump, it might as well be to some place more interesting. My wife was even okay with it.

• Members

Hmmm, guess I need to get cracking on that 3-5 page essay and take-home final due tonight biggrin.gif

Fortunately, I've already done a lot of the research on the paper. Now it's mostly just filling in the blanks (did a speech on it a year ago and saved my research wink.gif )

I'd have done it over the weekend but I still feel rather crappy so Saturday was a series of naps with some awake time in-between and Sunday was recovering from working 12am-6am for a stupid maintenance window (from home, at least). On the plus side, that was a solid 5-ish hours of World of Warcraft time since most of it was waiting for idiots to validate the changes thumb.gif

• Members

Yes, but I'd like my desert near the ocean tongue.gif

To be honest, there's not many places where I could move and get a bump in salary. I'd just have to hope for a better salary:cost-of-living ratio.

Dunno, not many places in the 'states besides Southern California that I'd want to live. Hawaii's the other but I'm doing better on the salary:cost ratio here wink.gif

Maybe I should look into jobs in the U.S. Virgin Islands cool.gifthumb.gif

I must admit, though, I was damn tempted to apply for a job in Brussels. If I'm gonna make a jump, it might as well be to some place more interesting. My wife was even okay with it.

Try Oregon. The desert is just over the mountains. wink.gif

Brussels can be awfully cold for someone who dislikes temps below 75 F. wink.gif You will not be diving in the surf as often with Baby Nio...

It's been ages since I've been there, though -- I have no idea what the city's like now, since Maastricht took hold in '93... confused.gif

• Members

Try Oregon. The desert is just over the mountains. wink.gif

Brussels can be awfully cold for someone who dislikes temps below 75 F. wink.gif You will not be diving in the surf as often with Baby Nio...

It's been ages since I've been there, though -- I have no idea what the city's like now, since Maastricht took hold in '93... confused.gif

I know, I know. I figure that since more of my opportunities are in piss-poor climates (since most of the warmer climate areas are tourist industry rather then a heavy emphasis on corporate towers and/or data centers), I'm mostly screwed until I land a job that lets me telecommute 100% of the time.

With that in mind, if I'm going to freeze, I might as well go for a good change of scenery rather than end up in friggin' New Jersey or something rolleyes.gif

I'd just have to make sure I could sneak in trips to [insert warm climate area that isn't a 10-hour flight costing $1000 per ticket here] during the warm months biggrin.gif

Those jobs are more likely to want the degree (U.S. seems more lax on degree requirements) so I might be tempted to see what's out there once I finish my degree. Dunno. I like SoCal and all but I'd be up for a change of pace.

• Members

Hmmmm, I think I should have checked with my teacher on the definition of "3-5 pages". That double-spaced or single? freak.gif

Oh well, I'm about 2 1/2 pages in right now single-spaced. I figure I'll stop at 3 pages and call it good wink.gif

I just need to cough up enough bull{censored} and fluffy wording for another 1 1/2 pages. Methinks I need to word out my conclusion a bit and find more details to slap in biggrin.gif

• Members

Hmmmm, I think I should have checked with my teacher on the definition of "3-5 pages". That double-spaced or single? freak.gif

Oh well, I'm about 2 1/2 pages in right now single-spaced. I figure I'll stop at 3 pages and call it good wink.gif

I just need to cough up enough bull{censored} and fluffy wording for another 1 1/2 pages. Methinks I need to word out my conclusion a bit and find more details to slap in biggrin.gif

Slap that hot info in. eek.gif

• Members

Originally posted by oldivor

Slap that hot info in. eek.gif

I decided to just go with the double-spaced thing and hope that that's what he was intending. I don't think the guy really wants to read 3-5 single-spaced pages anyway seeing as he can barely deal with getting emails wink.gif .

Double-spaced, I ended up at the start of page 6 so I had to trim back a small bit. That and tweak my main concept as I included some new info not quite on my topic (hearing loss from music) but a growing trend (hearing loss due to cell phones). I changed it to hearing loss in youth since they've covered well with iPods and cell's wink.gif

Anyway, after 4. Time to get the hell outta here and sulk that I didn't get in on the Amex MyWishlist Porsche Cayman for only $5000. Only 3 sold at a time and I wasn't fast enough mad.gifmad.gif

I needed a new car, too frown.gif At 32mpg, it's better gas mileage than my car frown.gif Could have sold it and bought something AND had money left over frown.gif

Bah mad.gif

Now I just need to work on the final once I get home and email it all to him wink.gif

• Members

I decided to just go with the double-spaced thing and hope that that's what he was intending. I don't think the guy really wants to read 3-5 single-spaced pages anyway seeing as he can barely deal with getting emails wink.gif .

Good call! thumb.gif

How many techies want to read what amounts to 7 pages double-spaced, anyway? tongue.gif

Anyway, after 4. Time to get the hell outta here and sulk that I didn't get in on the Amex MyWishlist Porsche Cayman for only $5000. Only 3 sold at a time and I wasn't fast enough

confused.gif

I needed a new car, too frown.gif At 32mpg, it's better gas mileage than my car frown.gif Could have sold it and bought something AND had money left over frown.gif

Bah mad.gif

Now I just need to work on the final once I get home and email it all to him wink.gif

Hm, I need to get off the forum and finish my last few bogus tech projects. Annotated video, updated tech autobiography, final website...most morons can do this stuff...and do... wink.gif

• Members

Good call! thumb.gif

How many techies want to read what amounts to 7 pages double-spaced, anyway? tongue.gif

confused.gif

Hm, I need to get off the forum and finish my last few bogus tech projects. Annotated video, updated tech autobiography, final website...most morons can do this stuff...and do... wink.gif

Techie? Errr no where even close. It's a Health class and he's the football coach wink.gif This the guy that dreaded having us email him stuff so I can only imagine he's thinking double-spaced for the articles.

Bogus tech projects confused.gif Oh,wait. Got it. It's code for "surfing pr0n" tongue.gifbiggrin.gif