Cover Band Rigs

ned911

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play in several bands. None are straight cover bands that play tunes exactly like the record. But we do play tunes by other folks.

GUITARS

Heritage H-575

Fender 52 reissue Telecaster

Gibson Firebird V

Tokai Love Rock copy of Les Paul Junior

EFFECTS

Fender PT-10 tuner

Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer Classic

Sometimes a Fuzz Factory or a Crucible Fuzz

Sometimes a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay

AMPLIFIER

Marshall JTM30 1x12 tube combo

• Members

This week we'll mostly be using

Me:

Les Paul R9 or Am Strat->OS2->Yamaha Chorus->ME50->TS808-> Fender Blues Deluxe. Effects all in a BCB60 pedalboard/case thingy.

Yamaha APX into the PA via BluesbreakerII used to boost signal only for a short acoustic solo.

Rhythm guitar:

Mex Tele or Mex Strat->Cry Baby Wah->Marshall Valvestate 1x12

Bass

Jackson 4 string with an awesome set up->Peavey TNT 1x15

Strangely all three of us use Dunlop's grey nylon .88mm picks!

Drums

6 piece kit (3 mounted toms) Zildjian & Sabian cymbals - dont know the drum manufacturer.

• Members

PRS Standard 22>old Crybaby>Danelectro Cool Cat>split to Mesa DC-5 combo, 100 watt JMP head. The JMP is plugged into the combo speaker, the DC-5 is plugged into a Rectifier 2x12 cab. An old Boss DD goes in the loop of the Mesa. Just picked up a Mexi Strat, gotta figure out how that fits in there, cause I'm really digging it.

• Members

ADA Viper combo amp

Korg ToneWork AX1G

Morley BadHorsie Wah

Carvin SC90 electric gtr

Schecter C1 electric gtr

Recently, I've added the Boss GT-8 (and took out the AX1G) and just using the combo amp more of a monitor for guitar.

• Members

5pc band. 2 guitars, bass drums vocals...

I started out with a 1x12 Line 6 and it just never seemed to really cut through anything. It sounded really good and had great distortion sounds etc... and other cool things. But when it came to a lead to cut through, it never could push through. Also, the clean tones seem to pretty much suck...just not enough "umph" really....

The other dude runs a valvestate head of somesort into a mini 4x12 and uses about 9 multi effect processors. Essentially he is nothing but a bunch of noise really. Talented, but he wastes it (in my opinion) in all of his effects. AND too damn loud.

So, finally after much research and trying... I ended up with a Genz Benz El Diablo 60w Combo! I wanted a combo, for the portability and also went tube to keep it simple.

Holy {censored}! THAT thing is just the ticket! It cuts through like a freakin warlock sabor! Amazing the sound it has. It has a very unique tone to it. I replaced the pre-amp tube with a Sovtech to smoothe the edges just a bit.... I love the thing! It's a freakin tank at 60pounds, but it's still a combo and sounds great.

the only problem is that it REALLY makes the other guy sound like {censored}!!!! I mean it really does. I get compliments on the sound every show.

I had to spend some cash on pedals here and there and am almost where I want to be... but it's fun!

That's my story!

:)

• Members

Me-

5150 head

Compact 4x12 2x vin 30s, 2x CL-80s

Ibanez JEM7D, LTD F-400, Frankenstein Jackson with all sorts of parts and work

Guitar 2-

Peavey ultra plus

Behringer 4x12

Ibanez GAX..something...I put a DiMarzio super distortion in the bridge so it sounds decent, for now.

Bass-

Peavey grind 6 string fretted

Brice 6 string fretless

Peavey TKO115 for practice...gigs we use a friend's Ampeg SVT610 with a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 350 head

Drums- Zildjian cymbals, random stuff...we use what we feel at the time. I have a 16" peavey bass drum, mapex toms, 22" peavey bass drum, 1960's slingerland snare drum

• Members

3 piece R & R band. Recent gigs:

Guitarist (me):

2004 American Strat Deluxe Ash or Parker Fly Deluxe

Boss GT-6

Mesa Boogie Mark III with Vintage 30 & 3/4 back 1x12" Mesa Cabinet with Celestion Black Shadow

Sennheiser e945 mic (lead vocals)

PSM200 wireless IEMs

Bassist :

Carvin Bass

DI to PA with Joe Meek VC6Q Pre/Comp/OpticalEQ insert

Drummer :

Custom DW kit (sponsored by them), Sabian Cymbals (also sponsored)

Shure Headset mic

PSM200 IEM's

PA :

A & H Mixwiz 16:2DX

Yorkville NX550P's as mains

Yorkville LS800P sub

A very full and clear sound for rock. (Not enough air moving for head banging in larger events.)

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

tremendo-

Small world as I grew up in Kingwood. Graduated HS back in '84.

I also graduated HS in 1984, but in Wayne Valley High, Wayne, NJ. Been in Kingwood TX for 6 years. I like trips out to Austin, normally on a motorcycle. I'm bringing the family there in 2 weeks, maybe catch a band somewhere.

• Members

I play in a college/piano-rock band and a jazz quartet that does everything from hard bop to smooth jazz.

Normal Setup:

Yamaha P-60

Edirol PCR-M80

Rack consists of:

Yamaha MOTIF ES Rack

Roland VK-8M

And to help with all the cable mess an Edirol WS-550 MIDI hub and a Behringer 16 channel 1-RU mixer.

And a Yamaha MS202 speaker for monitor.

I've never been happier with a rig. I can load in within 15 minutes without breaking a sweat. Loadout is another 15. Love the action on the P-60 and still get to have all the sounds I need with the Motif and the VK-8, and control it all with the Edirol.

For larger gigs and backup I've got an Alesis DG8 (retired due to being too heavy, otherwise it's the best slab piano I've owned), a Korg Triton Studio 76 (pretty fragile for these gigs).

Sometimes I lug a guitar or two out and for that I've a Peavey Raptor and a Takamine EG-240 into a Line 6 Spider.

For gigs where I'm filling on bass I use a Fender Mexican Jazz Bass into a Peavey KB4.

Too much stuff if you ask my wife, but I'm completely happy for once!

• Members

tremendo-

Just to make the World smaller. I lived in Millville, NJ before moving to the 'Wood back in '78.

To keep the thread on track.

Working on a new rig which will feature:

Randall RM4 - Top Boost, Plexi, Egnater SL, Recto modules

RT2-50 power amp

Rocktron Multivalve

Marshall 1965A cab

• Members

My rig:

Parker Fly Hardtail

Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler

Carvin Quad-X preamp

Carvin T-100 tube amp

Marshall 4x10 cab.

I can get a very convincing acoustic tone from the piezos on the Parker into the clean channel on the Quad-X.

The filter modeler provides whatever funk I need for the dance tunes.

• Members

With Steve Grills & The Roadmasters blues band

Yamaha S80

Hammond XB2

Peavey TKO amp

Fender Bassman '65

Leslie 25(modded w/ dual speed)

Behringer volume pedal(in place of my broken Ernie Ball)

With Rochester's Finest(R&B band)

Yamaha EX7

Korg Triton rack

Ensoniq EPS-16+(controlling the Triton)

Peavey TKO amp

Behringer volume pedal

• Members

For pretty much all gigs:

1 Washburn KC70V with rio Grande pickups.

1 Ampeg Jet 15 watt tube amp.

Pedalboard containing a j&H overdrive,, crybaby, Small stone, CE-2, and Akai headrush delay. Gets pretty much any tone I want and can be broght in and out of the club in one trip.

For bigger stages sub the ampeg for a Crate VC50 2x12 tube amp.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Play in two typical cover gig situations:

1. Funk/RB

2. Classic Rock 50's-00's

For both gigs I use this rig:

Guitars:

Frankenstrat w/ Fralins

Stock Am Std. Tele

Pedals:

Boss DS-1

Boss SD-1

Crybaby

Depending on the gig may have in the loop:

Line 6 DL-4

Dano Tuna Melt Trem

Amp:

Rivera M60

For louder gigs I'll use an extension 1x12

Pretty much covers all the classic tones except for scooped metal...don't really play any of those type tunes anyway.

My cleans are killer, if I do say so myself.

• Members

OK, somebody brought this post back and I looked at what I wrote 1 year ago about my guitar rig. My goto rig has changed, since I discovered Tom Anderson & GMW guitars, and Marshall came out with the Hand Wired re-issue cabinets:

Guitars:

Tom Anderson Cobra S and full Custom GMW "Splatz"

Amp:

Mesa Boogie Mark III with a Marshall 1960AHW (hand wired re-issue) cabinet. GT-6 as insert.

• Members

Les Paul and Tele into Line6 HD147 into an old Peavey 2X12 cab for electric guitars. I have a couple of basic tones dialed in, a nice clean or slightly overdriven classic rock sound a more modern more distorted tone. That covers the 60's-70's stuff we do real well, plus no matter where I set the master volume the tone is pretty much the same.

Variax for acoustic tones and a roland GR-33 for sax solos, strings, and organ sounds.

Max

• Members

Our rig:

Vocals/Keyboards/Rhythm Guitar:

Ibanez RG --> DS-1 --> Peavey Classic 30

Yamaha PSR 2100

Guitar:

PRS Soapbar SE II -->George Dennis Wah --> GoudieFX Compressor --> Tonebone Classic --> Fulltone OCD --> Boss BD-2 --> Boss CH-1 --> Boss DD-3 --> either Fender The Twin or Fender Princeton Reverb II

Bass:

ESP 5 string bass --> Zoom BFX-708 --> Peavey Mark VIII amp head with a no-name 15" cabinet

Drums:

Tama Rockstar 5 peice, Zildjian Cymbals, Yamaha hardware, Remo drumheads, Vater 8A drum sticks

• Members

This is our bar rig. 4 piece band. I play keyboards and keys bass. For songs with no relevant keys parts I play bass guitar. I'm not sure of all the model numbers but this is the basic setup.

PA:

Mackie 8 channel stereo powered mixer

Peavey PV215 passive speakers

Fender Monitors

AKG mics

Lead Singer/Guitarist:

Fender Standard Strat

Vintage Fender Bullet

Ovation Celebrity Deluxe

Jay Turser Double-neck SG

Randall 400 amp

Lead guitarist:

Fender 1X12 Combo

Fender Head

Hartke 4X12 cab

Roland Jazz Chorus 2X12 Combo

Two PRS guitars

Vintage Fender Bullet

Fender American Strat

Epiphone Dot 335

Big case of stomp pedals

Drummer:

Pearl Drums

Zildjian Cymbals

Keyboards and Bass:

Roland RS-9 88 key

Roland XP-50

Yamaha CS1x

Yamaha SY-35 for keys bass

Two Roland JV1010 modules

Kawai K-4r module

Roland AX-7 keytar

Phonic 6 channel mixer

Peavey KBA/100 keyboard amp

Yamaha RBX750a bass guitar

SX SJB-57 bass guitar (new)

Crate BX-200 Bass Head

Homegrown 2X15 cab

Sometimes we haul lights and a smoke machine

• Members

This is a list of the gear I used on my last gig. From what I remember I believe we played covers though not always exactly like the original.

Gretsch Country Classic

Heritage H137 with one Lollar P90

Fender tuner

Tech 21 Randy Bachman American Woman overdrive

Tone King Meteor II amplifier (40 watts, 1x12)

• Members

Originally posted by Roy Brooks

This is a list of the gear I used on my last gig. From what I remember I believe we played covers though not always exactly like the original.

Gretsch Country Classic

Heritage H137 with one Lollar P90

Fender tuner

Tech 21 Randy Bachman American Woman overdrive

Tone King Meteor II amplifier (40 watts, 1x12)

I use a Fender Jazz with Lindy Fralins through an Ampeg SVPCL preamp and Stewart World 1.6 power amp into an AccuGroove Whappo Jr. The rig weighs less than 100 lbs. and if I want, I can make the guy with the Marshall stack complain about my volume.

• Members

My typical rig is....

Fender strat (MIJ or MIA) --> pedal board with a tuner, some sort of overdrive (I change sometimes), usually an old DOD chorus, a Germanium Boy booster --> a Fender amp (usually a Twin)

The Germanium boost pedal is always on. I like to say it is the pedal that does the most and the least of any pedal that I have. If you have a good booster, you know what I mean.

I have a few different overdrives that I waffle back and forth on. I recently bought a Digitech Bad Monkey. Some are prolly gagging, and I am not a digitech fan myself, but this is a nice little overdrive. Subtle, but can get it's growl on..... and $39 new at GC, nice metal body, nice looks, sounds good, what's not to like?

The chorus is used for parts of maybe 2 or 3 songs. Again, real subtle. I don't like the real drippy stuff. If I have the twin, I will use it's built in vibrato on a few tunes... if it's my HR Deluxe or Deville, I add a vibrato pedal to my board for those tunes.

I could easily just get by with guitar, tuner, amp, and nothing else. I don't like the effects to overshadow my sound, but I like to shape and color it just a little on some tunes, so I do use them. :p

• Members

Originally posted by way2fat

I use a Fender Jazz with Lindy Fralins through an Ampeg SVPCL preamp and Stewart World 1.6 power amp into an AccuGroove Whappo Jr. The rig weighs less than 100 lbs. and if I want, I can make the guy with the Marshall stack complain about my volume.

I wonder what the above post has to do with my post. Though if you can make somebody playing through a Marshall stack complain about your volume you might be a little too loud. But if a guitar player is showing up at a gig with a full Marshall stack he may have some penis envy issues that must be addressed.

• Members

Guitars-Godin LG Signature and Godin Solidac

Amp-Mesa F-50

Pedals- I always have a Classic Crybaby and Boss TU2. I sometimes add a Small Clone Chorus, Fulltone OCD, and Rocktron Short Timer delay.

Our other guitarist also has a couple of strats and a tele so once in a while I'll grab one of those. I used to have many more effects but I discovered that they cluttered up the sound and were just unecessary. 99% of the audience doesn't care if you're nailing--insert your favorite guitarist's tone here--the guitar sounds exactly anyways. So I don't worry about it so much anymore.

Archived