Anyone hire a crew?

squealie

• Members

When I was on the road full-time, we had a soundguy, a 'light' guy, and a 'spotlight' guy.

The band would show up to soundcheck, and the PA/Lights/Backline would already be up and running. We'd pull our guitars out of the cases, tune up, and check.

When the gig was over, we'd put our guitars back in the cases, button up our rigs, and go chase women while the crew started wrapping the filthy Jeager-soaked cables and hefting the PA.

We paid these guys like $100 a week, and they were happy to be there.

Where are all these guys now?

• Members

I've been baited!

Good question...I willing to train interested people!

My idea would be to have three hot girls as the crew...I love seeing women pushing gear...especially if they are wearing Stiletto heels and tight skirts. Don't laugh it's happened...remember Robin My Best Spotlight OP. ever!

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

If the crew consisted of hot-chicks-in-heels, I would stop complaining about loading-out.

circular-jerk.....I mean logic.

I reckon I'd develop a bad case of the dropsies too. "Say Angel, could you bend over and grap that mic clip for me?"

Ah, who am I kiddin? We've never had that much tact. It'd be more like, "Say Angel, hows about givin me a peek at that snatch?"

• 8 years later...
  • Members

squealie wrote:

When I was on the road full-time, we had a soundguy, a 'light' guy, and a 'spotlight' guy.

The band would show up to soundcheck, and the PA/Lights/Backline would already be up and running. We'd pull our guitars out of the cases, tune up, and check.

When the gig was over, we'd put our guitars back in the cases, button up our rigs, and go chase women while the crew started wrapping the filthy Jeager-soaked cables and hefting the PA.

We paid these guys like $100 a week, and they were happy to be there.

Where are all these guys now?

Wow!  Zombie thread of the week! 

That's exactly what I did throughout the 80s.   Except we paid them $200 a week.

Can't pay them enough on a consistant basis now is the reason they don't exist, I imagine.  For the bands that can, they probably are still doing that.

It does kinda suck that I rarely even saw the back of the truck when I was 22.   Now that I'm 52, I'm the guy "calling the load".   But, hey...whatcha gonna do?

• Members

THX1138 wrote:

I reckon I'd develop a bad case of the dropsies too.
"Say Angel, could you bend over and grap that mic clip for me?"

Ah, who am I kiddin? We've never had that much tact. It'd be more like, "Say Angel, hows about givin me a peek at that snatch?"

Everytime I "drop" the loofah in our shared shower time, wifey only bends over to pick it up twice, then no more...

• Members

I have a "crew" when loading and unloading at home.  Two college age sons who have finally come to understand that everything (including college educations!) come with a price tag ... even though it may not be visible ... it still comes with a price tag.   As long as they're around - I don't carry a thing at home.   Every now and then (when my back is bugging me, when I'm sick but still gigging, etc.) - I'll sweeten the deal with a few beers and have 'em come to the venue to help with setup, teardown and the associated schlepping. 

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

I have a "crew" when loading and unloading at home.  Two college age sons who have finally come to understand that everything (including college educations!) come with a price tag ... even though it may not be visible ... it
still
comes with a price tag.   As long as they're around - I don't carry a thing at home.   Every now and then (when my back is bugging me, when I'm sick but still gigging, etc.) - I'll sweeten the deal with a few beers and have 'em come to the venue to help with setup, teardown and the associated schlepping. 

One of the advantages of having kids when you were younger!

• Members

GOSG wrote:

My idea would be to have three hot girls as the crew...I love seeing women pushing gear...especially if they are wearing Stiletto heels and tight skirts. Don't laugh it's happened...remember Robin My Best Spotlight OP. ever!

A couple years ago, some friends of mine were loading out after a gig.  The drummer's wife (who is quite the looker) was helping out and pushing a road case to the truck while wearing heels....took a wrong step, rolled her ankle and blew out her achilles tendon.    Had to have surgery and months of rehabilitation.

Ouch.

Archived