Post the songs that you've played so many times that you.....

Fr!tz

• Members

Puke just a little in your mouth if you see it on a set list or hear it on the radio...:mad:

Hers some of mine...

*starting to dry heave*

Janes Addiction - "jane says"

Mathew Sweet - "girlfriend"

Dramarama - "anything"

Oh can't forget....

*holds back vomit*

The Band - "the weight"

:mad:

• Members

Turn The Page

Old Time Rock and Roll

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Proud Mary

Mustang Sally

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home

Margaritaville

Gimme Three Steps

House of the Rising Sun (yes, people still request that)

Wipeout (yes, people still request that one too)

Cocaine

Freebird

Long Train Running

Brown Eyed Girl

And a butt-ton of others.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Turn The Page

Old Time Rock and Roll

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Proud Mary

Mustang Sally

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home

Margaritaville

Gimme Three Steps

Cocaine

Freebird

Long Train Running

Brown Eyed Girl

I'll agree with everything except the two Clapton tunes and Brown Eyed Girl. Also, I'll play the CCR version of Proud Mary any day of the week. I'm verrry burnt out on the Ike & Tina version, however.

I'm burnt out on Da Butt, even though I've only played it four or five times.

• Members

Yeah...Brown Eyed Girl...I'd rather hear a band cover "Domino" for a change.

The two, er, one Clapton tune and the J.J. Cale tune Clapton covered are well past worn by most bar bands I've heard. If one has to play a Clapton cover of a Cale song, how about "After Midnight". Clapton's got a huge catalog. Okay, so "Wunnerful, Wunnerful Tonight" might have been someone's wedding song, so I'll give 'em that.

I think that a lot of bands started playing these songs 'cuz they were easy, and they stuck as easy crowd pleasers, and then bands got lazy. I mean, why should a band work hard to learn some new crowd pleasers when they've got old crowd pleasers?

:rolleyes:

I'll never stop this crusade. ;)

• Members

brown eyed girl is a great song no matter how many times you hear or play it it's as simple as that. The 1st time we played it out our drummer kinda forgot how we were going to end it and couldn't think of a way to bring it to a close (free bar probably had alot to do with this) literally we played the last chorus and bridge and sha la la la bit about 6 or 7 times but by the end everyone was still up dancing and wanting more when I finally managed to bring it to a close. Not many songs you can do that with.

wonderful tonight I have a bit less time for but it's still a nice tune and you can make the ladies moist with a nice solo.

• Members

i was going to put in a few songs but it looks like that tedster beat me to all the ones that i had. brown eyed girl and mustang sally are the worst. we have changed those songs up so much that it hurts. we only play them if they are requested and when we play them we change them up. we will play them reggae style sometimes and that throws people for a loop. anything to get out of the ordinary. also, anything by lynard skynard. dont get me wrong, they are one of the greatest bands ever but how many times can you cover that {censored}. but in the end, it is what the crowd wants, you have to keep them happy. if they want it give it to them. you have to bite your tongue.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

• Members

Originally posted by superiorparts

also, anything by lynard skynard. dont get me wrong, they are one of the greatest bands ever but how many times can you cover that {censored}. but in the end, it is what the crowd wants, you have to keep them happy. if they want it give it to them. you have to bite your tongue.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

Well, on the Skynyrd stuff...how many songs did Skynyrd record? And yet everyone plays those same two songs...???? How about "Saturday Night Special" instead of "Gimme Three Steps", or "You've got that right" rather than "Sweet Home Alabama"...or even "What's your name?"

Sure, "it's what the crowd wants" or, probably more likely "what the crowd THINKS they want" because that's what EVERY other band plays. Be different...

For instance, instead of...

Turn The Page ...play "Against the Wind"

Old Time Rock and Roll ...play "Her Strut"

Boot Scootin' Boogie ...play "My Maria"

Proud Mary ...play "Fortunate Son"

Mustang Sally ...play any one of a thousand funk/blues tunes

Margaritaville ...play "Livingstone Saturday Night"

Cocaine ...play "After Midnight"

Brown Eyed Girl ...play "Domino"

Just some ideas...but the point is...it's YOUR setlist...you have some amount of control. If you keep feeding the crowd McDonald's Big Macs, they'll never know that bands are capable of feeding them Kung Pao Chicken, or Fajitas, or steak, or whatever...

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Turn The Page

Old Time Rock and Roll

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Proud Mary

Mustang Sally

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home

Margaritaville

Gimme Three Steps

Cocaine

Freebird

Long Train Running

Brown Eyed Girl

Hahahahah Sounds like our set list from a few years ago. "Old Time R&R" been played to deth but the drunks just lovit ...and Brown Eyed Girl, well we changed the name of that one to Brown Assed Bitch...heh. Whaddya gonnna do? If you wanna work, ya gotta do these tunes. I know atleast a hunnert guyss that would love to play anything for a buck...so I keep my complainin low but it is a pissoff at times:D :D :D

• Members

Lit - My own worst enemy : I don't know what it is with my bandmates and this song! It was never such a big hit to start with and most people have completely forgotten about it, yet it keeps appearing on my set list (it's not like I didn't tell the guys I hate the song). They like it because it's got that "jump up and down" kind of feel and help set the mood. Whatever it sucks...

Oh yeah The {censored}ing Middle! At least that one's got a cool solo.

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with butterfly wing : damn that song's boring. But 1 gig out of 2 the crowd sings during the break at the end...

AC/DC - Thunderstruck : It gets old pretty fast. I hate the fact that if you play it with two hands, people think you're not playing the right way. What they don't know is that, no only did Angus use his left hand during the recording (downpicking each note), he removed the 5 other strings from the guitar as well! Yeah I can play it with one hand but I hate the fact that the other strings can vibrate freely. And that's a moot point because I'm tired of the song anyway!

• Members

Originally posted by Godot

"My My, Hey Hey" wins for me.

I've been playing that dumb song for 15 years, and boy are my fingers tired.

"keep on rockin in the free world"

has also made my list:mad:

• Members

First vote goes to The Middle!!!! I HATE THAT {censored}IN SONG! Worse, I hate 50 year old Geezers that sandwich in between Cream and The Doobie Brothers because they think it connects them with people under 30!!!

:rolleyes: (no offense to 50 year old geezers who don't play that song!)

Others in our setlist I could live without!!!!

"Blister In The Sun"- The Violent Femms.... it was cool in 83 when it was sung like a cat in heat. Playing it in a rock band for just the fat college girls is wrong!!!!

"Nookie" & "Break Stuff"-Limp Bizkit (Double trouble-Kill Me now!!!)

"Sweet Child O' Mine"- GNR (I can think of 20 better G & R songs to play but it's always that one that winds up in the setlist!!!...:mad: )

Lastly... MUSTANG SALLY!!! We don't play it but I despise that song and every band that miserably plays it because they think people in bars like to hear it. HAve you ever asked anyone if they like Mustang Sally? The answer is ....NO!!!! unless you're at an ARRP Dinner/Dance you have no business playing Wilson Pickett. Hundreds of white bands with no soul have taught bar patrons such as myself to hate Wilson Pickett as much as we've learned to hate Bobby McFerrin!!!... ...and that's a lot of hate!

Ahhhhh the horror! .... the horror!!!:eek:

Archived