Cover Songs in dropped tuning?

wheresgrant3

• Members

Any suggestions for popular songs in "dropped" tunings. We play several in our setlist however we are always looking to add more. We consistently change our setlist from show to show and in an effort to keep things moving we usually end our second or third set with dropped "D" tuned songs. Since those songs are consistently heavier it's easy to group them together. However, we're also sick of polaying the same 6-7 tunes and we need some new material. Any suggestions?

Songs we play in dropped tunings

One Step Closer-Linkin Park (good crowd pleaser)

Unchained- Van Halen- (Sunk like a stone.... except for one VH fanatic)

Slither-Velvet Revolver- (ditto on the sinkage... Not exactly a song you can dance or chat to.)

Take The Power Back-RATM (Rage always gets the crowd going)

Break Stuff-Linkin Park (a set pleaser 2-3 years ago, but I would to never play this song again).

Freedom- RATM ...pretty obscure but great to kock people over with every 6 or 7 shows. We used to be a RATM tribute band, so we pretty much nail anything they did together.

Killing in the Name of-RATM The all time grand daddy of set closers... it will never leave the setlist but maybe for a show or two.

"Wanted, Dead or Alive"-Bon Jovi.... break out the lighters... a good BJ will always get the crowd cheering. ;)

Of course we've learned other songs in "D" purposely just to change the mix a bit. Any songs that are great crowd pleasers in a "D" Dropped tuning?

• Members

isn't Man in the Box by Alice in Chains in dropped D? If so that's a great one, actually I think a lot of their songs are and they would make great cover material as long as you or the singer can sing well. Since you have a similar guitar rig as myself I would assume you can!

• Members

Originally posted by hankypanky

Anything by Nickelback is drop-D..

Figured you out

Hero (Spiderman Theme)

Feelin' Way Too Damn Good

Others:

Collective Soul - Why Part II

Collective Soul - The River

Motley Crue - Kickstart my Heart (heh)

Hmmmmm out of all of the songs I think the MC tune would suit us the best (We just added Epic, and Sweet Child O' Mine in a little hair rock medley). You would have to cut out my right eye before I'd ever play a Nickleback song.... but that's just my opinion and it's being selfish. My drummer would love to play any of the Nickleback tunes you suggested... but then again, we revoked his "opinion priviledges" last Spring. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

isn't Man in the Box by Alice in Chains in dropped D? If so that's a great one, actually I think a lot of their songs are and they would make great cover material as long as you or the singer can sing well. Since you have a similar guitar rig as myself I would assume you can!

:cool: That's right... us GB users have to stick together!:D

• Members

Man in the Box is half step down tuning. Their stuff is always either a half step down or half step plus Drop D, which I guess makes it dropped Db?

Here is some drop D stuff:

Heart Shaped Box or On a Plain from Nirvana

Show Me How to Live or Outshined if your singer can do Chris Cornell vocals any justice.

Flag Pole Sitta - Harvey Danger....one hit wonder but a good party tune.

Remedy - Seether

Sober - Tool

Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson

Almost any Creed tune

Here are some in the half step down then dropped Db:

For You - Staind

Click, Click, Boom - Saliva

Song 2 - Blur

There is a ton, but that is what I can think of in 2 minutes.

Have fun!

• Members

chicks always seem to dance to puddle of mud's control. You know, the ass smackin song? Saliva has a few, no more tears by Ozzy, We do cinamin girl by neil young dropped and it's pretty heavy and cool, and we do come together by the beatles dropped and heavy with a punchy choppy beat.. pretty heavy.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Strings74

Wanted Dead or Alive is in Drop D???

I've been playing it in standard for... well y'know... ever.

*chuckle*

We play it in both standard and drop tunings. Makes no sense to tune back up from "D" once you are down there. Besides it gives that heavy drone feel during the acoustic parts. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

We play it in both standard and drop tunings. Makes no sense to tune back up from "D" once you are down there. Besides it gives that heavy drone feel during the acoustic parts.
;)

Aaaah. Cool.

We avoid drop D tunes because of our lead guitarist's floyd rose. Don't get me started on him or the floyd. :mad:

• Members

We play it in both standard and drop tunings. Makes no sense to tune back up from "D" once you are down there. Besides it gives that heavy drone feel during the acoustic parts.
;)

Aaaah. Cool.

We avoid drop D tunes because of our lead guitarist's floyd rose. Don't get me started on him or the floyd. :mad:

• Members

a good BJ will always get the crowd cheering.
;)

I bet it does! :eek:

:D how about something from Mudvayne? they have some pretty high energy songs, not exactly sure if they are drop-d or not though.

Can't go wrong with some Pantera either

Archived