Musicianship is in the toilet

Outkaster

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

Again I am not talking about technical skills and blinding fast solo's. I am talking about basic good skills with an instrument. I just do not see it anymore. I cannot think of how many times a guitarist I meet does not know anything about flats when they have to transpose things.

Ok, well that I can agree with that.

• Members

i can see fantastic musicians pretty much any night of the week right here in wisconsin...i assume it's the same all over the world if you're willing to look....

if you can't find good guitar playing on the radio you haven't hit the country station yet....brad paisly can hold his own with anyone on guitar and has #1 country hits...keith urban might be a pretty boy but he can play great too....and that's just the hit makers.....

from bela fleck to richard thompson to deke dickerson to brad paisly to bill frisell to danny barnes to the local fellas i sat in with last night...the world's full of great musicians...if you're not finding 'em you're not looking hard enough....

d

• Members

Well, its true that the terms have to be defined before we can really address the issue.

How are we defining "musicianship"?

Technical prowess?
Theoretical knowledge?
Versatility on the instrument?
Popularity and number of albums sold?
The thoroughly subjective "emotional response" factor?

Also, what is the scope of the observation? Popular music? Underground metal/hardcore? Tibetan Funk/Disco?

For a simple example, we can look at popular music and define musicianship as a combination of technical prowess, theoretical knowledge and versatility. Defined in this way, musicianship has certainly diminished from the majority. There was a time that being a musician meant a lifetime dedicated to perfecting your craft with hours of practicing and studying. The musician was an artist and less a celebrity. However, even defined in these terms, musicianship alone cannot speak to another human being unless they themselves have sought to achieve greatness within it. To reach the common man, there has to be a message, a statement, carried with the musicianship. Something that speaks to the human element within us. This ability is what aids the musician into convincing others that his musicianship is worthwhile.

More often today, we see "record sales and general popularity" confused for "exceptional musicianship" (remember we're using the definition above). Most will defend the player in their favorite band as being the best [insert instrument here] player ever, a claim not based on musicianship as defined above, but but on a basic emotional response. Not that being able to tap into the popular interests of the masses is not within itself a talent, but it is certainly less creatively honorable than a true, dedicated musician (ie: a student of music).

I often debate with the members of Divided Sky as to what being a true musician is. Is there really any difference between the hip hop artist who bangs out a quick beat on the MPC2000 and raps about ho's and tricks or the classical guitar player who spends a lifetime learning technical perfection on his guitar? Depends on who you ask and how you compare them. Is one more an artist or musician than the other? Does one selling millions of albums and the other remaining perfectly unknown add any more validation? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The debate rages on.

• Members

Originally posted by Next to Nothing

It is no different now than anytime in the past. Unless you are just judging by what you see hear on the radio, which in that case you are on your own.

You are probably just older, jaded and not looking for it.

You have to search thru piles of dirt to find a diamond, just like in the past.

Not at all. True I am a little older and I have looked for it. Sure there are good musicians but many, many terrbile ones. And no I am not judging by radio airplay.

Archived