Friday or Saturday gigs the most people?

LiveMusic

• Members

Seems to me it might have shifted around here, especially small bars. All my life, Saturday night was THE night for most people. Now, I dunno. Friday is for many places.

The other thing is start time. Seems to me that back in the 60s and 70s it was 8pm to 9pm. Now, it's common around here, start is 10pm to 11pm. And even if it starts at 9pm, it's not hoppin' until 10:30pm to 11pm.

• Members

Depends on the place. Most clubs/bars have gained a reputation for having one or the other night be THE night to go. People realize this and go on that night making it even more packed. It's different. There's a few places around here that are dead on Fri and Sat but are packed on Sun nights for some reason.

• Members

Also depends on the clientele.

If it's a sleazy, honky tonk bar (the kind I generally play at), Friday night seems to be the big night. Paychecks just got cashed and there's a rush to spend money on as much beer as possible in the shortest amount of time.

If it's a singles meat market, pick-up kind of place, then Saturday might be a bigger night because it gives people plenty of time to get all spiffed up before they show up.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic

The other thing is start time. Seems to me that back in the 60s and 70s it was 8pm to 9pm. Now, it's common around here, start is 10pm to 11pm. And even if it starts at 9pm, it's not hoppin' until 10:30pm to 11pm.

Yeah, what is it with these late starts? i know i'm entering my geezerhood but starting at 11:00pm??!!:eek: To start my work day one time, i'm up every day at 5:30am, seven days a week. By 11:00pm, i'm asleep! My previous band was called "The Eight O'Clock Boys." We got the name because everything we did seemed to start at 8:00. We rehearsed at 8:00; we played at 8:00. My wife has a colleague who plays a solo acoustic gig at a local watering hole. We want to catch him but he doesn't go on until 10:00pm Saturday nights. When i have to be at church at 6:00am Sunday morning, that's too late to mess with.

• Members

Location plays a role...My band plays a gig at a restaurant in the Downtown area on Friday nights... we had an option of playing Saturday nights, but figured more people will be in Downtown on a Friday night, coming in after work...whereas on a Saturday people have to make an extra effort to come out to Downtown from wherever they live since it's a weekend.

Archived