Good Beatles cover songs?

RoboCop00

• Members
Originally posted by Lee Flier

Leave My Kitten Alone

Nothing Shaking (But The Leaves On The Trees)

Are these two actual Beatles songs? I thought I knew (or at least heard of) all the songs The Beatles did, but these two are totally drawing a blank for me. Sounds like they may be from a solo Beatle album, in which case, I get to keep my Beatles Fan Club membership. ;)
-------------

Good thread. I am a big fan and a band member suggested we do a Beatles cover which I am all up for. Problem is, I am having a problem choosing which one (we don't do too many 60's songs so this would probably the only Beatles cover we would do).

I've always wanted to do Dig a Pony cuz I love the intro riff but it's a but slow tempo. I'd like to do And Your Bird Can Sing but I can't pull off the double guitar on one guitar like Jeff Beck (I believe) did.

I'm looking for an upbeat song to get people dancing, that doesn't sound too dated (I know, heresy!) and is recognizable but not overplayed. Tall order, I know.

I'll continue reading the thread (had to reply to Lee's post) and maybe I'll see what I'm looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by rim

Are these two actual Beatles songs? I thought I knew (or at least heard of) all the songs The Beatles did, but these two are totally drawing a blank for me.

Well the Beatles didn't write them, they are old American songs (Little Willie John and Eddie Fontaine, respectively) but the Beatles covered them back in the Hamburg and Cavern Club days. "Kitten" is available on the Anthology Vol. I, and "Nothin Shakin" was done in one of their "live at the BBC" performances as well as being on bootlegs from the Star Club in Hamburg.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Well the Beatles didn't write them, they are old American songs (Little Willie John and Eddie Fontaine, respectively) but the Beatles covered them back in the Hamburg and Cavern Club days. "Kitten" is available on the
Anthology
Vol. I, and "Nothin Shakin" was done in one of their "live at the BBC" performances as well as being on bootlegs from the Star Club in Hamburg.

Ah, that explains it. I've never heard any Beatles bootlegs and I think I've only heard Anthology once.

• Members

When I feel that the crowd is with me or at least willing to hear something a bit different I do "Abbey Road" 2nd side. Can be a bit challenging for a solo acoustic player and requires a bit of re-arrangement, but the big fans really dig it. I just start with "Sun King" and go from there since I regularly do "Here Comes The Sun" @ another time in the show (and "Because" is just too cool to do without all the harmonies).

• Members

+1 on Octopus' Garden.
I've always found that Lucy in the Sky goes over very well if presented correctly (not a dance tune, though)
I've always had people get up and dance to Day Tripper, I Saw Her Standing There, and Twist and Shout.
Always get a good crowd reaction from Come Together and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Archived