Trying out potential new band members

Toast

• Members

So what's your modus operandi for trying out potential new band members?

Do you give 'em a list of cover tunes and see how they play 'em?

Do you give 'em cheat sheets of some of your originals and throw 'em straight into the fire?

Do you jam on new stuff you just create on the fly?

We've got some new cats coming to practice the next few weeks, so any ideas would be most appreciative.

Muchos gracias! :thu:

• Members

Well, it's really best to just play covers for a first time thing. After all you want to hear how well someone plays when they're comfortable with the material, which is where things will eventually end up.

If you have recordings of your original stuff, you might see if they can listen and take a stab at one or two songs, and/or give them a cheat sheet, just to see what they come up with. But most people don't come up with an ideal part for an original song having only just heard it. It takes em a while. So I'd say play some covers, maybe jam informally on some familiar stuff and give one or two originals a shot, but don't expect too much from that. At an audition you're mainly trying to get an idea whether they can play, whether they have the kind of musical vocabulary your style needs, and whether you get along as people. If they seem to fit the criteria, invite them back and have them work up parts for a few originals, and go from there.

• Members

Do all three!

Jam a couple covers, try out an original (easiest if you have a recording for them to listen to previous to the "audition") and jam out together.

Also, remember to ask them for a few songs that they would like to cover (shows their musical taste and ability to read what people want to hear), find out about their musical background and what they want out of a band.

It's as important for them to get along with you and you to get along with them as it is for them to be able to play the numbers!

Good luck.

TM

• Moderators

Originally posted by jackcheez

I like to meet and interview people first. The person part is very important. When it's time to play, it doesn't take long to figure out if they can play or not.

interesting, I usually take the opposite approach...see if they can play, weed out the ones who won't cut it, and then 'interview' them to see if they will get along with the rest of the band.

• Members

Actually, I'm with jackcheez.

You gotta be able to play and you gotta be willing to work hard to sound good.

But that said, if it's not fun, it's not worth it. I always make a phone call first, just chat a little bit and get a feel for the person. We're sure to talk about musical influences and vision for what they (and I) want the band to become. If it seems like a good enough match, THEN we whip out the instruments. See if there's musical chemistry.

Yeah, we have some of our (older) material in various places online. I point potential band members there so they can listen to us and see if they like what we're doing. I haven't really asked 'em if there are any covers they like to play, though. That's a good move. I just haven't had to "audition" anyone in like 2+ years, though. Here's hoping it goes smoothly & quickly!

Thanks for the response all. Keep 'em comin!

• Members

I like to meet with them first, learn about them personally. Then, if we get along and have a similar mindset regarding what we want, give then a small sampling of songs on CD or mp3 via e-mail, give them a reasonable amount of time to learn the songs (no more then a week), then have them come down for rehearsal. How prepared they are during the rehearsal will speak volumes about the type of musician they are,and if they really want to play the songs.

• Moderators

Time is precious, and you get a lot of calls when you place an ad for musicians in the local music paper. Especially when you add, "Paid work only."

If it's a singer, I audition them right on the phone. If they hestitate to sing, I say, "Well, which is it? Do you suck, or are you shy, because neither one will work!"

If they play an instrument, I ask them to do two things:

(1) I refer them to our website (and to some links that aren't visible to the public) and ask them to review the material, decide whether it's something they'd enjoy playing and could contribute to.

(2) I ask them to give me a link to something they've done, hopefully something they're proud of and in a similar vein to our music. If they don't have anything up on the net, I ask where I can get a copy of them on CD, or hear them play live.

Then we review each others' stuff, and get back in a week or so. If it's "go" from both ends, I ask them to learn a few of our tunes and schedule an audition.

But the above is what I do when I have to look randomly for a player. That's usually avoided because I have a big network of friends and musicians who can usually recommend someone. I can't stress enough how important it is to build a network around yourself if you're going to be a gigging musician!

When someone is recommended to me, and they're a gigging musician, that's optimal. I don't contact them at all until after I've been out to one of their shows and seen them play. That way embarassment, awkwardness, and disappointment are avoided entirely.

But writing this has given me an idea for a poll, which I'll put up shortly. :)

Terry D.

Archived