Should airline be trusted with my guitar?

SpacedCowboy

• Members

I lucked into a "hired gun" gig in Florida in March. The money's pretty good and it may even help TK get some connections. Not to mention my travel plus room and board are already paid for.

Thing is, even though me and my trusty Gibson Gold Top have traveled many miles, it's either been by bus, van or car. This is the first time I'll be flying with my guitar, and I know it ain't gonna be able to go with me on the plane, so I'm probably gonna have to surrender it to baggage checkout.

Maybe I'm worrying needlessly, but hearing all the horror stories about how regular luggage is handled, it makes me worry about what condition my guitar's gonna be in once I land. :eek:

Anyone have any advice, horror stories, or some such? Should I be worried, or just shut up and quit worrying about it?:confused:

• Members

YES you should be worried, and no you should not check your guitar under any circumstances unless you want to invest in a certified ATA flight case.

When I fly with my guitar I do NOT check it. If you get a soft gig bag that will fit in an overhead compartment or front closet, you can generally carry it on. I have never had a problem being able to do this, though the airlines are apparently inconsistent and some people have had issues with not being able to carry a guitar on.

It sucks because you will never be able to carry on a guitar in a flight case, but if you get stuck having to check one that you attempted to carry on in a soft bag you're really screwed. :eek: Unless you actually buy a ticket for the guitar, which I would do if it ever came down to it for my Les Paul. I would never, ever check my 1952 Les Paul.

If you do carry on, you should board right after first class - in the "people with special needs" category - so there will be sure to be enough space in the overheads or front closets. Like I said, I've not had a problem doing this. If it's not a really expensive guitar though, you might do best to invest in a serious flight case and check it. And get insurance for it!

• Members

Well, airline regs won't let you lock it, so that's not even a consideration. If you do lock it, they will break the lock off. I fly with guitars all the time and check 'em. The deal is: You need to have an ATA flight case. That's the kind with the twisty latches -- not your basic flip-down latches. Make sure the guitar is a good fit -- if not, put some foam pads in there.

Tune it down a half-step, and put a card through the strings with your name, cell number, final destination, etc.

The good news about all the security at the airports is that it has cut down on theft. Your LP will probably get to where your're going, and it will probably get there in one piece.

My expereience has been that it's as safe and reliable as Fedex. No more,no less.

However, make sure you're at the baggage carousel when it comes in. Most of the theft occurs right there. Also keep an eye on the oversize luggage area (where they put the golf clubs and skis) because half the time, a well-meaning baggage handler will put your guitar over there instead of sending it up or down the baggage chute/carousel.

Congrats on the gig. Insure it, check it and hope for the best. It's still safer than it would be on tour in the back of a truck at 3AM.

• Members

Chuck, I've never had a problem checking my guitars, except for once when my guitars went to Las Vegas and I went to Albuquerque. I've locked the cases with no problem. Usually my guitars have been returned down the oversize chute at baggage claim. Check with the aipline when you board and see if you can carry you guitar on with you. If not, check it and it should be fine.

:cool:

Remind me to tell you that Albuquerque story sometime, it's pretty funny.

:thu:

• Members

Where are you playing in Florida?

If you want to bring your own guitar, by all means use a soft gig bag and carry it on. I fly all over the country and carry a guitar with me on almost every trip. I've never been refused, even on stuffed flights. Just plan your trip so that you're in an early boarding group so that you're not the last poor schmoe on the plane looking for a spot to stash the gig bag. Once onboard I've put the gig bag in the overhead bin or on rare occasion, the stroller closet. It's always travelled well in either spot and other passengers have always left it well alone...which is in the best interest of their future health to do. :D

~Blackbelt

• Members

I lost an acoustic I had for 30 years on a flight, and then I fought with the airline for another year for compensation. Someone stole it. Cry, scream, & plead, but don't let them check your guitar. Carry it up to the check in counter and don't offer it for check in. At least if you make it to the gate they will

"hand check" it, which means it will get thrown on top of the suitcases instead of the suitcases getting thrown on it.

You should copy and carry this letter with you: http://www.indie-music.com/downloads/AFM_carryon.pdf

It might help. Good Luck, You never know what will happen but if they try to make you check it I'd plead in a very nice voice but do everything in your power not to let them check it. Good Luck

• Members

I installed new conveyor systems at the International Airport in Houston, You should see how these people treat bags. I watched them throw peoples personal belongings 20 feet from the truck to the belt.Guitar cases and all, It made me sick.Mind you i was there for 6 weeks and this was a everyday event not one time did i watch one of those guys walk up to the belt and lay any bags on it.Constantly chunked from the truck to the belt, a lot of times the bags would fall off the belts and they would just leave them, I guess a night crew would come in a pick up the bags that fall and turn them into the Loss department, I found bags up in the conveyors that had tags dated back 10 years. I still cringe when i picture all those guitar cases being thrown around and slammed.

• Members

Originally posted by EdgeOfDarkness

I installed new conveyor systems at the International Airport in Houston, You should see how these people treat bags. I watched them throw peoples personal belongings 20 feet from the truck to the belt.Guitar cases and all, It made me sick.Mind you i was there for 6 weeks and this was a everyday event not one time did i watch one of those guys walk up to the belt and lay any bags on it.Constantly chunked from the truck to the belt, a lot of times the bags would fall off the belts and they would just leave them, I guess a night crew would come in a pick up the bags that fall and turn them into the Loss department, I found bags up in the conveyors that had tags dated back 10 years. I still cringe when i picture all those guitar cases being thrown around and slammed.

I've seen this too. But I wouldn't blame the handlers too much, if they don't move luggage post-haste, they get their ass handed to them.

• Members

SC, on a flight last week, I noticed another passenger carry on one of those pressboard acoustic guitar cases and the flight attendant happily put it in the back of the closet where they put the first-class passenger's jackets, even though the passenger was in coach.

Without seeing her guitar, I can only imagine that it probably wasn't a valuable, cherished instrument (due to the quality of the case). Plus, it was probably about the same size, space-wise, as a Gibby HSC.

I would imagine that if you explained you were a professional musician and that this was a very valuable instrument, they'd be willing to help you out.

• Members

I've flown several times with my Banjo and never had a problem, but my only other carry-on was a small gym bag that fit under the seat. Like they said, board early, smile, move briskly. I have a friend who was going to Europe with his Banjo and no {censored}ing way the stewardess was going to let it on the plane. He tried everything from honey to vinegar, even tears ( it was a pre-war Mastertone). No dice. The return trip? No problem, same airline. He did say that the stewardess on the first plane looked like she had been selected by Nancy Reagan, so you may want to watch out for those.

• Members

Originally posted by SpacedCowboy

I lucked into a "hired gun" gig in Florida in March. The money's pretty good and it may even help TK get some connections. Not to mention my travel plus room and board are already paid for.

Thing is, even though me and my trusty Gibson Gold Top have traveled many miles, it's either been by bus, van or car. This is the first time I'll be flying with my guitar, and I know it ain't gonna be able to go with me on the plane, so I'm probably gonna have to surrender it to baggage checkout.

Maybe I'm worrying needlessly, but hearing all the horror stories about how regular luggage is handled, it makes me worry about what condition my guitar's gonna be in once I land.
:eek:

Anyone have any advice, horror stories, or some such? Should I be worried, or just shut up and quit worrying about it?
:confused:

Pssst...I'd be happy to go along as your "guest" and take care of your guitar for you. Just sayin.

See how nice I am?:D

• Members

Thanks guys...once again, very good advice, I see why now this is one of the few HC forums I bother with anymore!:thu:

BTW, squeal o' my dreams, for the actual gig, I'm sure Jon's gonna take care of a LP and/or Strat for me, but I'm flying in for the rehearsal in DC a few days before. And I bet dollars to donuts that I'll have to have ol Goldie for the rehearsal. It's THAT situation that concerns me more than anything.

And I see from the responses here that I was right to be concerned. :eek:

BTW, if you guys haven't heard from me in awhile, it's because my internet connection has been down at my house, so I've had to use the one at the library. So if I'm slow responding, forgive me.:(

Archived