Joe the desperate drummer

• Members

I know a drummer who's in his 50s, getting a little long in the tooth, and drinks waaaay too much.

He doesn't work hardly at all--he lives off his girlfriend mainly. He says he lives for drumming, and that that's all that really matters to him.

The first and only time I tried to jam with him, within two minutes he was reaching over and flicking my guitar pickup switch :mad: saying he could get a tone he liked better.

Well, whatever. :rolleyes: Considering he didn't really know what "jam" meant anyway (he asked me if I would confine myself to songs he knew like "Mr. Bojangles" which I do admit has a spiffy drum part) our musical association terminated fairly quickly.

But I must say, he had a bit of luck recently. He was invited to audition for a country/classic rock band that he said was paying decent money. It sounded right up his alley.

Well, $250 a week would be decent money for this guy as long as he keeps his girlfriend. He hasn't had a paying drumming gig in years, so this would in fact be a godsend to him.

I guess he felt like he needed to improve his chances, because he really hit on a novel way to shoot himself in the foot. He had a barbecue for the bandleader. He had prepared a tape to drum along with, and that was his idea of how to audition for the guy.

I don't know how common that is, but I do know he didn't help himself when he claimed he had written a song that was getting country radio airplay. And there it was, right on the tape: "Redneck Yacht Club." :rolleyes:

I guess he figured the bandleader never heard of Google. It's pretty easy to check something like that these days.

What is the matter with some people?? :freak:

• Members

Yeah theres a guy in our local town who claimed to be in a band called Kick Axe. About 15 years ago I met him. Another guitarist I was playing with phoned me and had hooked up with him. Told me he was from Kick Axe so I was expecting a long haird young guy and instead got this older guy. There was no internet back then and we looked at thier albums and there was no pic or mention of him so we called bull{censored} but he stuck to his story.

last year his band was playing (not kcik axe another local band) and the DJ went on about how he was in kick axe and the song playing during a break was written by him.

now that we have the internet I asked the band if he was ever in it or was full of {censored}. They told me the original bass player who is still with them is the only bass player they ever had.

LOL

• Members

I had a guy call me up saying that he'd seen my website, liked my music, and really wanted to play with me. He was a bass player and he sounded like a nice guy but the real kicker is: he said he used to play bass for Taj Mahall. He said he knew him from Kwaii and he also hung around with Crosby and Nash. And he said he'd toured with Taj.

I have friends that live on Kwaii that know those guys too so I didn't think it was that big a deal, so I say sure come on over and let's jam and see if anything 'clicks'.

So he comes over and first off he weighs about 300 lbs. but he's got decent gear. Once he's plugged in I play some straight blues in E to warm us up. He does OK but something's wrong somewhere cause he'll hit these horrible clunkers every now and then.

Next I play this Taj kinda sounding blues, but still the blues mind you, and he's just lost, and although I keep trying to play things any bass player should know, he's lost. And through the whole thing he's telling me stories of all the fun he and Taj and Bonnie Rait, and jackson Brown etc...all had on Kwaii. and it's aparant this guys has never played professionally in his life.

I think he MET Taj Mahall on Kwaii and his dream world took over.......

• Members

I have a buddy like this too. He would find bands that weren't super popular, but were good and he'd say that he was in the band. He'd go as far as to say that he wrote their songs, and that he wrote them about people we knew. One day I had enough and called him on it in front of a bunch of people, the band he was talking about was actually in town to play a show and I convinced everyone to buy tickets to see our friend on stage. He later convinced everyone not to buy tickets and held onto his story. Oh well.

• Members

Originally posted by renier

bull{censored}. i never hired you.

but i started this new band, called Foo fighters. you wanna play?

:D

I would, but i'm too busy counting the royalties on all those Beatles songs I wrote... you ever heard of the Beatles?

By the way "Foo Fighters" is a really dumb band name - you'll never get anywhere with a band name like that...

• Moderators

I used to know a guy in the 80's that considered himself a roadie. A roadie in his mind was something that was the pinnacle of anyone's aspirations. I was in my 20's and he was in his 40's. He lived at home with his mom. He looked like a biker with tats, bald with long hair in a tail, leather and sleeveless denim... and a very soft freindly voice.

He'd hang out at local gigs and help load in and out and try to act cool. He'd never gone out on the road but had a million road stories. People on the scene just tolorated him because he was harmless. And he lied... he really lied.

His biggest:

He introduced John to Yoko

He went down with Lynard Skynard and survived

When he told these stories he'd be faced with a lot of, "Come on dude, you know that's not true. Stop BS'ing". But he would would stick by his guns and swear that what he was saying was the truth. He never admitted his tall tales were lies and kept spinning them 'till the end. He eventually died of a heat attack and is sort of a local legend in his own way.

Names have been withheld to protect the lying SOB. We'll miss you dude, RIP.

• Members

Yeah. We've got a local legend who played with the Grateful Dead.:rolleyes: a friend of mine was on their sound crew after he got back from Viet Nam and knows some of the band members. They've never heard of our legendary figure.

Archived