Do you change keys to cover songs?

flip333

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

If you listen to covers...general covers from years past, done by professionals, the key was always changed (if necessary) to
fit the singer

Now, I know, in rock and roll a lot of tunes are riff-dependent, and certain riffs can sometimes be only played in a given key, BUT...

Let's leave the rock and roll realm for a second (GASP! GAGGG!!!)

Let's take one of the most covered songs of all time, "Yesterday" by the Beatles. It's been covered by rock bands, sequined-dressed piano bar gals, lounge crooners, famous people from Frank Sinatra to Lena Horne...whatever.

The Beatles played it in F. McCartney originally played it on an Epiphone Texan acoustic tuned down a whole step in "G" (meaning he was playing a G chord, but the song was in F). If, say, Sinatra and Lena Horne both covered it, chances are they covered in keys that were best for them to sing it in. Sinatra may have lowered it to Eb, Horne may have raised it to G, for example.

Now, for MOST intents and purposes, why should rock and roll be any different?

A song is a song, of which the singer is the most important interpretive element. If there's a song in D, and you can't sing it in D, by all means try it in C. Or, perhaps the other way, perhaps you can gain more power by raising it a step.

Keys aren't sacred.
Songs
(and the best performance possible thereof) are sacred.

Unless you're talking something with a specific riff that can't be played in another key.

Absolute agreement...other than the notion that a given riff can't be played except in one key.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by way2fat

Learning it right is good for musicianship, Outkaster. If you already can play it right, have fun experimenting. Turn it around, change keys, whatever you want. What I'm getting at is that I have seen a lot of bands, especially "jam bands", use "playing what we feel" as an excuse to avoid the practice they are so often in desparate need of.

Bastardizing a song is much different than simply changing the key. You need to learn a song correctly in order to transpose it in the first place. So you could argue that playing a song correctly in a transposed key requires more "musicianship" than simply playing it like the record. 95% of songs can be transposed a step or two without anyone noticing or caring. We tune a 1/2 step down in our band and I know many other bands who do it too. So all of our songs are atleast a 1/2 step down and for many I transpose them even lower to fit my singing range or to sometimes fit with other songs in a medley.

There's no shame in transposing. And the funny thing is that many "music nazis" who are against transposing end up sounding like {censored} when they are up their screeching trying to hit notes that were written specifically for the original singer's range.

No one, I repeat no one, will notice if you are a 1/2 or full step down for most songs. Sometimes if it falls into a funky key you will need to adjust a 1/2 step up or down though.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Absolute agreement...other than the notion that a given riff can't be played except in one key.

Probably but it seems like some "signature" type riffs involve open strings and that gets all messsed up when you tranpose. So it ends up not sounding very authentic. I guess it can work if you are a good enough player though.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Not any riffs, Terry, but there are a few riffs that are dependent on open strings for example...or they just work best when played in the original key, sans capo, for example.

Can't think of any right off the top of my head, but I know I've come across 'em in years past.

Edit...okay, here's one I can think of that works best in it's original key..."Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac. That E riff really is the song. Not saying that you couldn't play it in another key, it just probably (or possibly) wouldn't be as powerful.

• Members

I do some fingerpicking. And usually if I am doing a fingerpicked arrangement of a guitar tune I generally play it in the key it was written in since guitar tunes tend to be written in guitar keys.
But my wife's favorite tune is "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia". I don't remember if the original started in Am or Bbm but I play it in Bm because most of the bass notes are open strings. And I can play the melody and chords up the neck while maintaining lower pitched bass notes.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

Changing keys is good for musicianship.

Even if it threatens to make your head explode.

I'll change the key to compensate for fluctuations in my voice or any other reason. One of my favorite songs in C got moved up to Eb when I had to sing it in a wedding hall of 100-plus people -- unmiked.

The baritone guitar has been an education in transposing, too, but it allows me to keep the original fingering while droppingthe vocal part. Works well on Van Morrison tunes. It's tuned B-to-B, a fourth lower than standard guit.

But Beatle songs seem to need the "original" chords, though they can be moved up a step or so.

• Members

I am amazed this thread came back to life since it started in March.

If your band is less than first rate, then it is even more OK to change keys.

First class bands should do everything as authentic as possible, and they are more likely to.

Second and third class bands are happy to play a song that doesn't suck.

• Members

Originally posted by flip333

I

If your band is less than first rate, then it is even more OK to change keys.

First class bands should do everything as authentic as possible, and they are more likely to.

Second and third class bands are happy to play a song that doesn't suck.

I respectfully disagree. First class bands can do anything in any key. One needs to tailor the music to fit the vocalist. Of course, if the band is only doing authentic covers with no vocals, then you migh as well put the cd on. Musicianship starts where the original recording ends. I think everyone should put there own stamp on it.

Unless you're playing charts in a big band, or classical sheet music.

But that's also why I'm not playing in a cover band, so my opinion doesn't matter.

• Members

Originally posted by stansilverman

First class bands can do anything in any key.

Yep!

Last night we were learning a new song when my guitarist got exasperated and yelled out "A..A..A! Goddamn A! I have the key of A coming out my ass! A is crusty as hell!"

We switched to C. Everybody was thinking on their feet. It was better.

• Members

Our girl singer NEVER sings things in the stock key. One problem is the songs seem to loose their validity. Singing something in Bb Major as apposed to B Major is quite a difference in the sound and feel. When this happens it looses something. For example we use to do "My old School" by Steely Dan in Ab for the singer and the song is in G Major as the stock key. It really changed the feel of the song.

Archived