Church band situation.

New Trail

• Moderators

This is a great thread, BTW!!

I personally have no interest in being paid, strictly speaking from a jealously prevention standpoint (ex. - - -if someone on the decorating committee is spending as much time on decoration/their craft, perhaps they should get something, too?)

On the flip side, I think if a music group is invited to play for a special event at a church (especially if they are not from that particular church) they should be paid very well.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

I know the feeling!

JuSw-Pat.jpg

:D

And that's about it for the show tonight folks. I hope you had as good a time as I did. Good night and see you next week when our special guest host will be.........

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave::wave: :wave:

*thread tossed to the back of the vault*

• Members

I played in a church band where the bass player was married and had 2 kids but was {censored}ing the main singer, the main singer couldn't sing worth a {censored} and was always trying to sing over the other girls who could sing. Plus the bass player was trying to get into the pants of one of the singers who was 16....I eventually left the band. :)

• Members

Originally posted by butterknucket

I played in a church band where the bass player was married and had 2 kids but was {censored}ing the main singer, the main singer couldn't sing worth a {censored} and was always trying to sing over the other girls who could sing. Plus the bass player was trying to get into the pants of one of the singers who was 16....I eventually left the band.
:)

a good story which gives the reason why it shouldn't be thought of as a church "band", but rather worship leaders. And the members should be held to the Biblical standards of leadership and not the wordly standards of musicianship.

The concern is not you leaving the band or the local church but losing faith because of a poor example and leaving the CHURCH and belief in Christ

• Members

Originally posted by taiko

a good story which gives the reason why it shouldn't be thought of as a church "band", but rather worship leaders. And the members should be held to the Biblical standards of leadership and not the wordly standards of musicianship.

The concern is not you leaving the band or the local church but losing faith because of a poor example and leaving the CHURCH and belief in Christ

I didn't say anything about losing faith due to the situation, as that is another matter totally.

In addition to what I stated, there were also a lot of negative comments about my playing which were actually the mistakes of others, but I was getting blamed all the time which upset me. The whole thing was just turning into a negative situation so I chose to leave, even though I WAS getting paid to play there.

On kind of a funny note though, every time someone made a negative comment about my playing, some part of their equipment would suddenly break, leaving them unable to continue playing. I kid you not! One time the other guitar player critisized my playing and then his amp died on the next song. Another time the bass player got on my back only to find himself getting brutally lost on the next song. Another time his wireless died after getting on my back.

Maybe someone was looking out for me after all. ;)

• Members

Wow, I ducked out around page 2 and came back to 3 more pages of discussion. This has been a great thread. Sounds like the original poster got his or her advice in bulk! It also sounds like the rest of us got a chance to air some views on the topic. I'm also impressed how mature all the responses have been even though we don't all totally agree. Good stuff!

Robin Mark is coming to our church next month to perform and he's playing with our praise team instead of his own band. We are working away like crazy to learn his tunes. Anybody ever played with him before? What's he like?

• Members

I played keys in churches for some 20 years before I finally 'burnt' out. And it often meant the usual getting home at 3 am, only to be in church by 8am. I just found that towards the end I was in a no win situation in the sense that for every 10 minutes I put into church music, it was demanding another 20. I would be doing church music stuff most nights of the week, and if I wasn't, there would be people pushing more work on me, whether it be arranging, writing, organising, rehearsal etc. I never got paid a cent for my work. Im not complaining about it, as that was the only lifestyle I knew at the time, until things around me started falling apart big time. Then I had to change radically. I had to stop doing the church gigs in order to save (excuse the pun) my family and marriage. I no longer do the church gig, and it got to the stage where I couldn't go to a church in my own town as everybody new me from somewhere. We have now moved and I can go to my local church, 1 minutes walk down the road, and just sit back in the pews without any stress of the church gig. We always sit down the back as I usually fall asleep after a sat nites gig, or i am having to run fast to a sunday afternoon gig.

Who knows, one day i just might get back into it, but for now I am quite happy doing what I am doing.

• Members

Originally posted by geoffo

I played keys in churches for some 20 years before I finally 'burnt' out. And it often meant the usual getting home at 3 am, only to be in church by 8am. I just found that towards the end I was in a no win situation in the sense that for every 10 minutes I put into church music, it was demanding another 20. I would be doing church music stuff most nights of the week, and if I wasn't, there would be people pushing more work on me, whether it be arranging, writing, organising, rehearsal etc. I never got paid a cent for my work. Im not complaining about it, as that was the only lifestyle I knew at the time, until things around me started falling apart big time. Then I had to change radically. I had to stop doing the church gigs in order to save (excuse the pun) my family and marriage. I no longer do the church gig, and it got to the stage where I couldn't go to a church in my own town as everybody new me from somewhere. We have now moved and I can go to my local church, 1 minutes walk down the road, and just sit back in the pews without any stress of the church gig. We always sit down the back as I usually fall asleep after a sat nites gig, or i am having to run fast to a sunday afternoon gig.

Who knows, one day i just might get back into it, but for now I am quite happy doing what I am doing.

Well, I did start off saying churches will eat up your time. Just about everything you've said here has applied to me at one time or another. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and regroup.

Archived