band member problems

dirtybart

• Members

:(

my band has been playing together in this incarnation for about a year now. the problem we got is one guy wants to do some stuff the rest of us dont want to do. we have been friends for many, many years and played off and on together over those years so i feel some loyalty to him.

well a few days ago he had been saying to another guy in our band that he wanted to bring in a new guitar player and a singer with a replacement type situation in mind (im assuming here) Im a lil pissed off about it so i confronted him in a roundabout way about it. ive talked to the other guys about it and they seem a lil pissed about it too.

this guys personal life has gotten in the way of some stuff that we are wanting to do. he doesnt practice his instrument like we feel he should and basically doesn't seem into what we are doing. we've talked about replacing him on a few different moments.

should we give this guy the boot?

thanx

• Moderators

Originally posted by dirtybart

:(
my band has been playing together in this incarnation for about a year now. the problem we got is one guy wants to do some stuff the rest of us dont want to do. we have been friends for many, many years and played off and on together over those years so i feel some loyalty to him.

well a few days ago he had been saying to another guy in our band that he wanted to bring in a new guitar player and a singer with a replacement type situation in mind (im assuming here) Im a lil pissed off about it so i confronted him in a roundabout way about it. ive talked to the other guys about it and they seem a lil pissed about it too.

this guys personal life has gotten in the way of some stuff that we are wanting to do. he doesnt practice his instrument like we feel he should and basically doesn't seem into what we are doing. we've talked about replacing him on a few different moments.

should we give this guy the boot?

thanx

What does he play...maybe you take in the replacement players he wanted to bring in and replace him?;)

It sounds like he is trying to manipulate things his way, yet your explanation makes him the odd man out...I would suggest to have a band meeting, and sort this out....which may well mean giving him the heave-ho!

• Members

Sorry, didn't mean to be so short, but on re-reading, it seems to the point.

My thinking was that if he had already started talking about replacements (either for someone else in the band or perhaps for himself), that coupled with his wanting to do things other than the rest of the band, it sounds like he's already into something other than the current band. No need to let "loyalty" get in the way. In fact, quickly and (relatively) painlessly cutting the knot may help save the friendship part by minimizing any aggravation.

Good luck!

• Members

funny ass thing, DB, our band is goin' through the same thing. the EXACT same thing. Depending on how much of a dick the guy is bein' decides how ya handle it. If he's just not into it anymore...call a band meeting, explain it, find out for sure & if needed, find someone else.

If he's actively refusing to do shows, purposely trying to sabatage {censored}, pitting band members against each other, gloves are off, you owe him {censored}. no "i love ya man but"...no "we wish ya luck"....no "we'll give ya one more chance"....

just my 12 cents tho bro (inflation ya know). hope ya have many Years of rockin' the {censored} out, good luck & let me know how you are Coming along

Archived