What should I know about flying with my gear?

Artifice

• Members

I am hopefully going to have an opportunity to perform during a major music festival this March (not at an official festival gig, but at an event happening that week in the same area). I'm getting there via a commercial flight -- I don't have a car, nor the time to drive cross-country and back.

I need to figure out how to get my gear to the show. It's not a huge package -- I do electropop, and gigging around NYC has helped me figure out how to reduce it to where I can just about carry it all with me. Here's what I'll be taking:

- Microkorg (in small rolling hard case)

- Small mixer (Yamaha MG10/2) and power supply

- Mics (Nady PCM-200, Shure SM58, plus an XLR headset mic)

- Small portable DVD player (for video projections)

- Small vocal effects box and power supply

- Cables

I'm not taking any stands -- I'm relying on the venue to provide those. My musical partner plays bass guitar, and she'll take it with her, but we'll borrow an amp locally for the show.

So it's not a huge amount of stuff to transport. I'm just concerned about flying with it. I'd carry it all on board with me if I could (all the gear except the Microkorg fits in a large backpack). But airline rules generally say "1 carry-on, 1 personal item", and I'm not sure my big backpack would qualify as a "personal item". And while the hard case for the keyboard is small (it's actually a mixer case), I think it's a hair over the carry-on size limits in length (by maybe 2 inches -- but if I'm dealing with anal airline staff at the gate, I'd be screwed).

Also, given the insane state of airport security these days, I have no idea what the TSA will make of all my electronics at the security checkpoint.

On the other hand, if I check my stuff, I'm concerned about items being damaged or "disappearing" en route... or about my luggage being misrouted, and not arriving in time for my show.

Can anyone offer advice, warnings, war stories, etc. about flying with musical equipment?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

From my recent experience, if you are flying major carriers on larger aircraft with bigger overhead bins, there is less of a concern. I've got a fairly large gig bag that well exceeds the little bag limit.

HOWEVER,

You may have to gate check, if the flight is crowded, and/or the aircraft is smaller, and/or the gate agent is in a bad mood.

(A smile and good attitude go a long way!)

Check your carrier's rules. Some airlines are pickier than others. You also might do a search on some of the other groups for more expereinces.

JM

• Members

The small stuff (mics, DVD player, etc.) I'd just carry on with you in a single soft gym bag that doesn't exceed airline size limits. The other stuff, I'd put in an Anvil case and check. I frequently travel with television production gear that costs more than my house. I don't recall losing anything.

~Blackbelt

Archived