36 Year Old Guitarist - No experience

Dragonsoni

• Members

I am 36 years old and a very amateur guitarist. Life got in the way if you know what I mean.

I want to get a band started but since I never did the garage band thing and I see 16 year olds that can really tear it up I am not sure where to start.

Any suggestions would be great.

• Members

If you can sing and play a few blues/rock standards, you're ready to build a band... put up an ad on your local Craigslist looking for weekend warriors.

If you're not a singer, and don't know any songs, can you pick up the changes easily, and can you solo over anything? If so, you can find a group that already has a singer, and offer to play lead and rhythm.

If you can't sing, and can't play leads, it'll be harder to find a group that needs you, but they might be out there.

Just put some ads up, be explicit about your expectations. (That includes styles of music, how much time everyone is able to commit, and where the 'project' is going)

I started playing a guitar when I was 22. But didn't join a 'band' til I was about your age. I could pick-up the changes easily, and solo over anything and the singer found a drummer and bass player, and away we went.

• Members

Don't sweat it. I started when I was 36 also. Throw out a few ads, go to some shows start talking to folks, but most of all...have fun!! Go to the music stores too. Our drummer is only 20..so don't limit yourself on age either, granted he's a mature 20..we are all in our mid-late 30's. Good luck.

• Members

I am 36 years old and a very amateur guitarist. Life got in the way if you know what I mean.

I want to get a band started but since I never did the garage band thing and I see 16 year olds that can really tear it up I am not sure where to start.

TIme is your friend - use it to your advantage in the woodshed before trying to start a band.

Learn as many tunes as you can; more importantly, learn your limitations.

How you deal with your limitations is up to you, but you have to know what you are capable of in a band context; or at least know where your failure points are.

You will need to learn to play through mistakes gracefully; bands never stop so you can't either....

If you can hash together even 10 songs in your target genre, then you will begin to have the confidence and skills needed to get a band started.

A lot of beginners only learn parts of tunes.

If that's you - please work on entire songs, played at tempo with no obvious flubs before you even think of putting a band together.

Good luck.:thu:

• Members

If your local music outlet has a "school of rock" type deal check it out.

It'll put you in a band setting, on a stage playing tune(s) that you are coached on by the instructors.

And take lessons - preferably from a working or formerly working guitarist in your genre. :wave:

• Members

If you can't sing, and can't play leads, it'll be harder to find a group that needs you, but they might be out there.

If you know tunes, and can learn changes, I'd think there are plenty of bands that have that great lead player, who could benefit from a true rhythm player who won't intimidate him.

I'd say, find a couple of buddies who play. If you know you can get along with them it will be a fun atmosphere.

• Members

If you lived in Australia I'd point you to Weekend Warriors

http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/

They run an awesome program just for people like you (and me :) ).

I can't see anything straight away on the web like it in the US. Maybe you should start one? The market for it is huge, the people who it targets have money to spend, the payback is great. You might find yourself with a new band and a new money-making venture putting other people in bands...

GaJ

Edit: I see, here: http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/Default.asp?ID=2 , they say it does run in the US. Good luck finding it!

• Members

The best thing to ever happen to me musically was pulling some people together to just jam.

For all of us it was perfect timing in our lives and you may be hard pressed to find this circumstance.

I just bought my first house and was single. A buddy of mine from college I haden't spoken to in a few years called and said...hey you still play guitar I think I am going to buy drums and get back into it (he didn't play for about 10 years).

We started just the two of us and soon found another green, but eager guitarist. I also had a bass so we would switch back and forth. We would just put together blues and rock progessions and jam away. Some of it was terrible. Many were 15 minute jams that had no end in sight, but man did it build my chops and sense for playing with others. There was no real goal at first and no pressure. We found a bass player after a few months and then eventually went to the structured cover band thing. The whole thing last maybe a year or a bit more....we played 3 parties. Nothing special, but it paved the way for me.

I tried starting a blues/funk band shortley after. Didn't work. Went back to rock covers. Didn't work. Finally found something 1/2 way established doing original rock that got me out for a dozen or so gigs until finally recently I joined a well established band and now I am very much into the local scene here. Loving what I am doing and confident it will lead to continued success as I am building contacts and friends.

A very long way to say....find some people and don't worry too much about each persons ability out of the gate. I was always a step ahead of the guys in the first thing, but still needed to build up my chops, improv ability, and ability to play in a band context. It may take time so be patient and have fun along the way, but like a previous poster said lay down the expectations with everyone from the beginning and communicate if/when things change for you.

Good luck!

• Members

Is there a program likr this in the NY NJ area or anywhere in the US for that matter?

Kevin T

Call around the music stores; one of them might do something along those lines (that's true here, anyway, at a place called Mom's Music. They call it "school of Rock".

They have a good size stage and room + pro equipment to play rockstar on too - lol)

• Members

just started playing with other people last year at age 44 - had our first bar gig in July after playing some backyard parties - just a duet, and the other guy only has three years experience in playing the guitar - I would also look into group lessons - we have an awesome community college here in Charlotte that has group guitar lessons for next to nothing in terms of cost - the nice thing is that I met people that were my age, and set up opportunities to jam - plus, the instructor is well known and well thought of in the music community and can serve as a great resource - good luck, and most of all, have a blast!!!!

• Members

Man, you are blessed. The Denver area has a great music scene. My brother in law played with several bands in the Denver. Check out the some of the live bands in the denver area. Music begots musicians.

The previous post offer good advice. I would encourage to find someone to creatively play with. Lessons will never give you the inspiration and energy that comes for playing in a group. For years the only solo I knew was fragment of the blues scales. My drummer in my first band would give me the nod - I would dug in wrong key and tempo - but I knew I was jamming! Thats the feeling that has me stealing time away from work, family etc to play guitar.

I joined a band then later got lessons later. nothing peaks your growth more then jamming and practicing with a band.

PS 36 is the new 20!!!!!

• Members

If you know tunes, and can learn changes, I'd think there are plenty of bands that have that great lead player, who could benefit from a true rhythm player who won't intimidate him.

I'd say, find a couple of buddies who play. If you know you can get along with them it will be a fun atmosphere.

I dunno...

Most great lead players are pretty decent rhythm players as well. He'd be about as necessary as a 5th wheel. In addition, the great players aren't intimidated by anyone. That's one of the things that makes them great.

To the OP, if you wanna play you gotta go where the players go. I don't know much about where you live but if there are open mics, go there. If there classified ads looking for guitar players, answer them. If there are college ensemble course being offered, take them. Bottom line though, find out where the players are in your town and go there, introduce yourself and then let your guitar do the talking.

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

I dunno...

Most great lead players are pretty decent rhythm players as well.

:freak:

Not in my experience.

Angus without Malcolm - blah.

Dave Murray without Adrian Smith - blah.

Hammett without Hetfield - blah.

Perry withouth Whitford - blah.

And just what in the hell does "intimidation" have to do with anything?

The 80's are over bro; that competitive circus crap don't fly anymore.

• Members

Not in my experience.

OK that's all fine but back in the real world I don't think the OP has a realistic shot at auditioning with any of those bands. Back in the real world, in the trenches, the bars and pubs where real players play real music for real patrons, most of the great lead players I've seen also have to play decent rhythm or they don't get the gigs.

I'm just trying to be real. Not trying to prepare the OP for some fantasy audition that we all know's never going to happen. What usually happens is you end up with players of your own caliber. A great lead player's generally going to be playing with other great players, generally... :idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Actually, this sounds so similar to my experience. I went through a messy divorce in my mid-30's. I had always wanted to play drums, so I bought a cheap drum set to take my mind off of things.

I was talking about it at work, and one of the guys was saying that he was just learning guitar. We got together, and cut our teeth with each other. Then we discovered a mutual friend used to play bass a long time ago, and decided he wanted to get back in it. Voila, we had a little three piece band. Granted, we weren't very good, but it was fun, and it has led to bigger and better things for me.

I guess my point is, ask around with people you know. You might be surprised on who might be interested. I know I was.

• Members

Not in my experience.

They all have to play the same rhythms the other guys do for large chunks of the songs. They don't just stand around like goons not doing anything until solo time.

The main appeals of rhythm guitarists is thickening up the sound and having guitar under solos. From my perspective at least. But then again, being a metalhead, the vast majority of the bands I listen to with 2 guitarists have both players doing leads.

• Members

It's all up to you. If you can imagine it, you can do it.

But the real question is - how badly do you want it? How much work are you willing to put in to reach your goal?

Which is also good to have - a goal that is. It tells you what to work on.

Are you a singer/songwriter type or do you just want to play guitar hero songs? Or both?

Get the best teacher in your area either way and let him or her help you knock the dust and rust off. This really cuts down the learning curve.

Playing with bass and drums really makes a huge difference and helps speed development. Find some people to jam with who are in the same situation.

And don't be lazy. If you love the guitar than keep it in your hands as much as possible.

I played my first gig when I was 45. Five years later I'm the guitarist in a trio covering EC, Jimi, Page, Van Halen, SRV, Brian Setzer, Blackmore, Knopfler, etc., etc., etc. When I first got back into it I didn't know anything about what it takes to be a performer in a band. But I worked really hard at it and sacrificed all non-essential activities while working full-time to get just to this point.

But I needed it. Not just wanted it. And hell, I ain't no great phenom. But I'm no slouch either. And I continuously work on new things all the time. I'll never stop learning. Never again, anyway.

The main thing is that instead of sitting in my basement wishing I could play cool shiat on guitar in front of an audience, I'm doing it. No more woulda, shoulda, couldas. I get paid to have fun.

If you don't try than you'll always feel like you have a big hole in your soul.

One other thing - if you are the type who gets embarrassed easily than get over that real quick. Because you will fall on your face in front of people, musically speaking, more than once and you can't beat yourself up for it.

It's called learning. You almost learn more from mistakes than successes. Try to be as fearless as you can.

Archived