Cover tunes for a blues band to play at a Christmas Party?

New Trail

• Members

We're "basically" a blues/blues-rock band and a guy who "really likes us" booked us for his wife's office Christmas party. We do some appropriate tunes already, but we need to learn 10 or so pretty easy standard covers to fill in around Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl and the like, which we already play. We don't intend to add them to our permanent songlist, just for this one decent paying gig.

Any ideas?

• Members

We're "basically" a blues/blues-rock band and a guy who "really likes us" booked us for his wife's office Christmas party. We do some appropriate tunes already, but we need to learn 10 or so pretty easy standard covers to fill in around Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl and the like, which we already play. We don't intend to add them to our permanent songlist, just for this one decent paying gig.

Any ideas?

Blue Christmas. Elvis Presley and several others did it.

• Members

Blue Christmas. Elvis Presley and several others did it.

I agree-you could do anything from Elvis' Christmas album. One of my all-time favorites. You could boogie-up a version of that song "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (In a New Old-Fashioned Way)-who sang that, BTW?

• Members

I agree-you could do anything from Elvis' Christmas album. One of my all-time favorites. You could boogie-up a version of that song "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (In a New Old-Fashioned Way)-who sang that, BTW?

Brenda Lee wasn't it?

• Members

Maybe work up Blue Christmas and maybe one carol in case if anyone asks for one. I'm doing several Christmas parties (and I've done these same ones before) and probably won't do any holiday songs in any of them. I'm always ready with a couple but that's not what Christmas parties are about.

• Members

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town turns into a killer blues shuffle...Also, I change

the words to the last bridge:

Instead of "He sees you when youre sleeping....." I sing:

He knows when you go hunting

He knows when you go fish

He knows youre stealing the Playboy Channel

From your neighbor's sattelite dish.....

:D

• Members

i would buy the 2 Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas CD's and the new Rev. Horton Heat one too.

also the sound track to "Jingle All The Way" has Merry Christmas Baby and Run Run Rudolf original versions.

those 4 CDs should easy get you the right tunes already arranged for a blues-ish kinda sound.

• Members

Maybe I misexplained myself. I don't want Christmas songs, just good cover songs LIKE Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl to play AT a Christmas party.

Or the standards:

Play that Funky Music White Boy

Love Rollercoaster

I Feel Good

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Any CCR

Pink Caddillac

Shakey Ground

• Members

Maybe I misexplained myself. I don't want Christmas songs, just good cover songs LIKE Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl to play AT a Christmas party.

If youre not lookin to tread any new waters and just want to add some popular time-and-again tested tunes Heres a list of the standard (yawn) same ol same ol that usually works:

Male Vocal:

Green River

Suzy Q

Wonderful Tonight

Margaritaville

The Joker

Takin Care Of Business

The Twist

Mustang Sally

Old Time Rock N Roll

Brown Eyed Girl

Moondance

Brick House

Play That Funky Music

House Of The Rising Sun

Give Me Three Steps

Sweet Home Alabama

Low Rider

Mony Mony

All Right Now

Pride And Joy

Roadhouse Blues

Cocaine

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Satisfaction

Miss You

I Saw Her Standing There

Take It Easy

Superstition

If you have a female singer, these are a lot of the (yawn) same ol standards:

Dreams

Rhiannon

Im The Only One

Wind Beneath My Wings

Black Velvet

Whats Goin On?

At Last ( I actually still like this one)

Something To Talk About

:bor:

Good Luck :thu:

edit: The yawn/sleep comments are for my benefit having done them (to death) for decades. My band doesnt play them on purpose but we will do them if requested (and I play most of them as a sub) -- however, these songs are time-tested and still do work

• Members

edit: The yawn/sleep comments are for my benefit having done them (to death) for decades. My band doesnt play them on purpose but we will do them if requested (and I play most of them as a sub) -- however, these songs are time-tested and still
do
work

This statement from the guy who admits in the "Share your non-standards that always pack the dancefloor" thread to playing the following list of cheese: :cop:

Relax -- Frankie Goes To Hollywood

What Is Love? - Haddaway

LeFreak - Chic ( Female song but I sing it)

You Dropped A Bomb On Me - Gap Band

Hot In Heere - Nelly ( Girl part is sampled)

Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A Lot

Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals

Love Shack - B52s

Da Butt - EU

Jungle Love - The Time

Stormtracker, I think I'll happily keep playing my list of (yawn) same ol standards!! ;)

• Members

I think I'll happily keep playing my list of (yawn) same ol standards!!
;)

You do that......I'll GLADLY play the other stuff ANY DAY of the week over those tired worn-out same ol same ol tunes, thank you very much..... It was this thread that inspired me to start the other one....You can keep that :bor: list: I was burned out on doing those back in '91.........and you'll be surprised about the amount of people in the audience that come up to your band and thank you for not playing any of those songs....

• Members

You do that......I'll GLADLY play the other stuff ANY DAY of the week over that tired worn-out same ol same ol uninspired bull{censored}, thank you very much..... It was this thread that inspired me to start the other one....You can keep that (yawn) list: I was burned out on doing those back in '91.........

Well, I was hoping that my comments would be read as a tongue in cheek response rather than a personal attack. That's how it was intended. Wasn't looking to start a war. Truthfully, I only play a couple of selections off of the "yawn" list you proposed and wouldn't touch most of the rest.

I can appreciate diversity and not doing the same old stuff. However, I don't think I would play "Baby Got Back"

• Members

Well, I was hoping that my comments would be read as a tongue in cheek response rather than a personal attack. That's how it was intended. Wasn't looking to start a war. Truthfully, I only play a couple of selections off of the "yawn" list you proposed and wouldn't touch most of the rest.

I can appreciate diversity and not doing the same old stuff. However, I don't think I would play "Baby Got Back"

Sorry, bro, I reread my post and I guess the tone was a lot more edgier than I intended it, it was meant to be taken as a lite banter...... One of these shouldve helped ------>;) Sorry about that

• Members

I have found that motown stuff seems to go over well at corp events. face it boomers grew up on that stuff..... you cant go wrong with the temptations, 4 tops , sam and dave , wilson picket or any of the soul music of the 60s. Typically the songs dont require big time lead chops ,, but do take at least two part vocals and a solid rhythm section. Add horns and you have a band that will be a solid producer. rat

Archived