Playing a gig with famous people in the audience

Standard8

• Members

I would have approached someone like that atleast to tell them that I appreciate their work (if I do) with no hesitation, other than hoping it to not be an overly intrusive moment (rude timing). Then feel out the photo question from there. The reason being is that when you describe yourself as "that guy" you have to keep in mind that if he has a brain in his skull and real feet on the ground, he knows "that guy" is usually a real fan. If he wants solitude he could also go home. For all you know he was bored that night and hoped to meet a fan or two. :poke:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

'94, MacGruder's in Atlanta - Vinnie Paul from Pantera came out. We used to do a Kiss Medley back then, and he was a big fan. We did the medley, and Vin came right up to the front of the stage with a grin on his face. Stayed there for the whole thing, gave us the thumbs up & {censored} yeah look.

Next set we played "Cowboys From Hell". He didn't come up front for that one.

• Members

Rock dudes get so enamored with famous people.....

Played for/with many....

Play your show and treat 'em like anyone else in the audience. Cuz they're just people that wipe their ass like you do. It's a thin red line between the famous and the talented and unfamous. And they know it.

If they like it, they'll come to up you. Otherwise leave em alone.

• Members

I used to jam with a Buster P. Jones before I knew who he was..we used to play blues together...I have also played with guys that kinda made it way back in the day, and now play mostly for fun...and of course I had no real idea who the were.....It's also nice to see monster players actually get up and dance when your playing...somewhere in here, I think it's nice to get that 'respect'...your doing something that a real musician actually likes...it doesn't pay the bills, but you can see how some bands really play for musicians...I hear Dream Theater is like that...

• Members

I've got to disagree with you on this point. How many people outside the US know who Charley Pride is? Maybe it's a generation thing but Stipe is way more famous than Pride.

This isn't meant to belittle Pride's musical accomplishments, but world wide Stipe is more well known.

Everybody that knows jack{censored} about Country Music knows who Charley Pride is.

Country music as a genre has got far more fans, worldwide, than REM could ever hope to have.

Yeah, old Charley was clearly before your time: but that doesn't make him irrelevant.

Archived