I just sent this email to my band...

BATCAT

• Members

I'm currently in two bands that are almost fully type "B" !!

(Wade, you told me it could be done, I'm trying!)

:thu:

Don't let my own results or lack thereof discourage you from trying any approach that makes your music more appealing. :)

I like Norman's idea of having cues for parts as well, even if the arrangements are kept exactly like the recording, it's nice to have a "bail out" just in case of problems - like the drummer not playing the fill he usually does, which causes me to repeat the section and the rhythm guitar to follow....:freak:

Bottom line - don't be glued to the script, cuz accidents can and will happen.

My whole reasoning is really to keep things as simple as possible in the early stages of a band - you'll have better luck with subs/hired guns too if you stick to the arrangements, cuz those cats aren't lookin to relearn standards in your style, necessarily.

• Members

Take whatever chords, stuff whatever you have to the band and show it to them. Just see what they think and if they have any ideas to where it could go.

Take it away, bring it back next time incorporating any new ideas.

• Members

I vote for both A and B.

The bass player in my band brings riff and ideas and we all contribute to the final thing.

The other guitarist and me bring mostly finished songs and tell the others what our ideas are. We normally play what we're given but we're all allowed to change things around to better suit our tastes.

The drummer... well, he left 'cos he can't take someone telling him what to do and can't be bothered to come up with some parts on his own, 'cos playing the same beat over and over is "boring" and hasn't got the skills or ideas to be Mike Portnoy (his idol) or was in the band to be able to do that (we play rock/punk/garage).

• Members

In the original band that I'm in, I'm free to come up with my own parts, and I like that. But, I have done studio work where most everything was written out. In your case, Actionsquid, it seems to me that it should largely be up to you to how much creativity you allow the other players on your originals. First off, is this a "band" project or more of an individual project? Do others in the band write songs, and, if so, how to they share the creative wealth, so to speak? And do you have certain distinct parts, either recorded or in your head, for these songs that they wouldn't sound right to you without? In other words, do you have a vision for these songs. Creativity is great, but remember the "too many cooks" theory.

I remember reading that Pete Townsend presented completely finished songs on tape of his original songs for the Who to learn from. It worked out pretty well for them.

Archived