To EP Or Not To EP, To Hybridize or Not To Hybridize

• Members

I have some original material I'm working on. The problem is that it isn't consistent style-wise.

Part of it is hard rock/metal with vocals, part of it instrumentals; something that can best be described in part as Joe Satriani plays Kenny G.

I don't write a lot because I have too much fun playing covers. So what is the best course of action? I'm leaning towards two separate EPs - people who like whimpy instrumental stuff aren't likely to like the hard rock/metal stuff.

• Members

i guess maybe I'm an oddball, because I actually like to hear a band/musician take wild style swings from song to song. I get so bored hearing the same style all the time, and it shows that you be more than a one trick pony. So I voted for a hybrid CD of diverse styles

• Members

hybrid. release what you have. I see it being a good thing because it shows the diversity in ability and style. I think it would be an easier transition changing on a cd than changing cds. That is my plan. we have a ridiculous range of music (blues, hard rock, damn slow and instrumental, and hard hard rock or weak metal) but the styling within the different classifications is without a doubt our brand. good luck.

• Members

Part of it is hard rock/metal with vocals, part of it instrumentals; something that can best be described in part as Joe Satriani plays Kenny G.

That sounds like two different audiences to me.

I've made music in a few different styles. Some overlap and some don't. There was some overlap in the people who liked my ambient electronica and my downtempo mutant roots pop -- but I would have never known it from the fans of my ambient electronica. A lot of my 3DW friends liked the former but didn't seem keen on the latter. Until I started putting both on the www, I didn't realize there would be a far larger audience for the non-ambient stuff. (That's what I get for hanging around with a bunch of 4AD types. :D )

• Members

something that can best be described in part as Joe Satriani plays Kenny G.

That just sounds terrible...don't release it :p

Yes... but the saving grace is -- clearly -- that it's not Kenny G playing.

:D

When I'm accidentally exposed to even a few moments of Kenny G I rush to the nearest place I can wash myself down in a flood of Coltrane. So far I've been able to avoid meltdown...

What a world... what a world...

• Members

Kenny G is a very talented musician who has sold more records that just about anyone on Earth. If he asked anyone here to play guitar in his band for his next tour, only an idiot would say no.

But yes, his music does suck.

• Members

I'll tell you how we are doing it. We started as a throwback band, writing stylized songs from the late 50's and early 60's. Over time, we started writing more modern progressive material. When recording time came, it became apparent that these two sounds weren't going to work on one album. We decided to put the oldies stuff on an EP to come out later, and work on our progressive stuff for the LP.

Think about a Ween album... they go from this to that to the other thing over and over, but every song is so wacky, they have that all in common. Although the musical style, going from light jazz to gore-metal, is in contrast, they are all connected by the overall psycadelia and silliness of the lyrics, the songs all came out of the same can of spraypaint.

If all your songs are about dogs, then it's ok to have tons of different styles on the album.

I guess this is what literature professors call a "theme". You can't have Tom Cruise show up in an F-16 and start strafing down Ring Wraiths in the hills of Gondor.

• Members

Think about a Ween album... they go from this to that to the other thing over and over, but every song is so wacky, they have that all in common. Although the musical style, going from light jazz to gore-metal, is in contrast, they are all connected by the overall psycadelia and silliness of the lyrics, the songs all came out of the same can of spraypaint.

Great example. It's possible to release badass "hybrid" albums...but I feel it's important to consider how well all of the songs are arranged first. In addition, understanding the moods and feelings that each individual song conveys. It may not be good to send your listener on a schizophrenic joyride of sounds...maybe give them something that's diverse, but still bound together by the same fabric.

Archived