Did I get the gig?

• Members

Who knows ,,, I figure if a preacher can get away with dorking some members wife ,which happens way more than we want to imagine..., a MD can get away with shining on a guitar player.

Actually, when I was a kid I went to a church (same denomination as the one in this thread, different state) where the pastor was fooling around with a parishioner. He quit so as to avoid being fired.

Apparently we're talkng about some very different churches.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, when I was a kid I went to a church (same denomination as the one in this thread, different state) where the pastor was fooling around with a parishioner. He quit so as to avoid being fired.

Apparently we're talkng about some very different churches.

maybe so. I dont have any plans or intend to have any plans to get involved with a church band. Music by comittee aint my thing. {censored} like that happnes though ,, I know a guy that was playing in a church band where the MD and youth pastor is in jail now ,, seems as though he couldnt count to 18. I hope you get the seat in the band and make a good go of it.....i am sure you have somthing to offer their praise band.

• Members

No.

It sounds like you are approaching this like a regular rock band audition. If it was I'd have taken the above approach. It is not.

I am not out to be a hired gun simply playing at some church somewhere I'm not a member or at least attending. I'm already in several rock bands. This is a volunteer position. It's not about me getting to play, nor him learning a lesson from being a doofus. It's about what is best for a church I'm attending. They don't have a lead guitarist. The question is whether I can serve as a volunteer here and enhance other people's worship by doing so. I think I can. I'm not the world's best guitarist, or even super good, but I am better than nothing. It's not about me (though I'd love to be playing in church again regularly) or about the band director.

See the distinction?

To update our story, I called late yesterday afternoon, since the gear I would need for Sunday was at my office and I wanted to pack it then, rather than make a special trip later.

He admitted he'd got my e-mail Wednesday after the Tuesday night practice, but had got "too busy" to respond.

Anyhow, the deal was, they have a "4-practice" rule, nobody plays in a service until they've done 4 practices.

So I guess if I just do 3 more practices I'm in. Fine by me, I guess they don't want flakey musicians.
:rolleyes:

Why he couldn't have mentioned that when he asked me to come to the first practice is beyond me.
:confused:

i get it.

even if this isnt about you, and isnt about him, you still have to determine if you can work together. in that respect, it does have a lot in common with a regular audition even if you are both serving some religious goal.

speaking in the very abstract, as i dont participate in organized religion, i have seen similar behavior: the guy is just not very suave. he may have someone else he is thinking of playing lead guitar, or he may just be a flake, or he may just be an awkward guy:

for example, he could have told you about the 4 rehearsal "rule", unless he just made it up. failing that, he could have returned your call promptly. its not rocket science. in _combination_ though, it certainly raises concerns about how this guy communicates.

there are _a lot_ of people out there who are just not that mature. they fib, they back-peddle, they equivocate, they get "confused", or whatever. its a little sad when they are past the age that such behaviors can be dismissed as a "youthful inexperience", but some people are... slower than others. either way, you can take the high road. channel that mystic stuff and turn the other cheek or something... for a couple of rehearsals at most.

give it a couple of more rehearsals. you will learn quickly enough if the guy is just flakey, has some political agenda, or just had a bad week and forgot to tell you the scheme and return your calls.

if it were me, i would consider this strikes one and two, first not telling you the 4 rehearsal rule, and second, not returning your calls. heck if youre generous, you can roll those in to one strike.

keep a sharp eye out for bull{censored}, but give it a couple of rehearsals to figure it out. they may be evaluating you, but church or no church, you are evaluating them too.

• Members

He is new in this position. I don't get an intentional vibe to put me off at all. If he was trying out other people it'd be very dificult to keep from me, this isn't a rock band that can vary its practice times from week to week, and have me come out one night and someone else another night. If someone else were trying out and wanted the slot, they'd have to come out to the same practice I do.

He basically said to just come to the rest of the practices and fill out the paperwork (I'd been ready to sign whatever they needed Tuesday, and had said so in my first telephone conversation Monday-- but he didn't bring the paperwork along with him!) and I could play. At this point unless I really mess up somehow it looks like a foregone conclusion. From what little I heard at the frist practice they're pretty much playing from the same general repertoire as at my prior church, so it shouldn't be any problem unless he all of a sudden goes all "note-for-note" on me. From his hands-off approach at the first practice that seems unlikely. His day job is with the church pre-school which they just finished construction on and is about to open, so the "being busy" line washes too. He shows a lack ot time-management skills and people skills, but not dishonesty.

Hopefully he'll get a little better about his job skills as he goes. He is just a kid, I guess we all hafta start somewhere.

What's both slightly amusing and somewhat disconcerting in this thread is how readily unchurched people are willing to ascribe less than honorable intentions to a church worker.

• Members

He is new in this position. I don't get an intentional vibe to put me off at all. If he was trying out other people it'd be very dificult to keep from me, this isn't a rock band that can vary its practice times from week to week, and have me come out one night and someone else another night. If someone else were trying out and wanted the slot, they'd have to come out to the same practice I do.

He basically said to just come to the rest of the practices and fill out the paperwork (I'd been ready to sign whatever they needed Tuesday, and had said so in my first telephone conversation Monday-- but he didn't bring the paperwork along with him!) and I could play. At this point unless I really mess up somehow it looks like a foregone conclusion. From what little I heard at the frist practice they're pretty much playing from the same general repertoire as at my prior church, so it shouldn't be any problem unless he all of a sudden goes all "note-for-note" on me. From his hands-off approach at the first practice that seems unlikely. His day job is with the church pre-school which they just finished construction on and is about to open, so the "being busy" line washes too. He shows a lack ot time-management skills and people skills, but not dishonesty.

Hopefully he'll get a little better about his job skills as he goes. He is just a kid, I guess we all hafta start somewhere.

What's both slightly amusing and somewhat disconcerting in this thread is how readily unchurched people are willing to ascribe less than honorable intentions to a church worker.

I just figure a church runs like anyother business or organization. I wouldnt expect it not to. They are all run by humans.

• Members

well, congratulations then. sounds like it was just a bit of lack of communication from the band leader due to inexperience. that happens.

in my response, i wasnt ascribing any particular intentions to your band leader, i was just listing the things i would keep my eyes open for.

i do hold that working in a church is no guarantee of honorable intentions though, as a quick perusal of history and even current news will readily show.

but thats sorta tangential to the topic. enjoy making a joyful noise and all.

• Members

......He basically said to just come to the rest of the practices and fill out the paperwork..........What's both slightly amusing and somewhat disconcerting in this thread is how readily unchurched people are willing to ascribe less than honorable intentions to a church worker.

Looks like you're in! Whew! I bet that's a load off, huh?!? And guess what, unchurched people have no more (or less) "honorable intentions" than "churched people."

• Members

I just reread your original post and had a thought.

Do you think your gear might have made them a little uncomfortable? :eek:

Most places want to see a pod or small amp so they have control over the whole sound.

Anyway, I'm surprised he's following a "4 practice" rule though I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a "2-practice rule" after this week. It also sounds like you're handling everything like a gentleman and an experienced "church" musician. :thu:

• Members

maybe i'm getting this wrong but..........it was a "contempo standard" song you'd played dozens of times previously with another band, you played it 2 dozen times last night and you can't remember what it is called?...........does anyone else find this strange??????????

dave

• Members

You certainly went out of your way to point out that the MD was gay. Why was that relevant to you?

No, I mentioned he was gay because as part of the process of trying to go to the rehearsal, in speaking on the telephone I assumed initially that I was talking to a woman. Didn't really have to do with his gayness so much as his high-talking.

Did you not see the Seinfeld episode where "high-talkers" cause much confusion, where men speaking on the phone are mistaken for women? The reference to "not that there's anything wrong with that" is also a Seinfeld line.

If you're offended I apologize.

• Members

maybe i'm getting this wrong but..........it was a "contempo standard" song you'd played dozens of times previously with another band, you played it 2 dozen times last night and you can't remember what it is called?...........does anyone else find this strange??????????

dave

It was a week ago dude. I had sheet music, there was certainly no reason for me to remember the name of the song. I hadn't played it in over a year and a half. WTF? At any rate, since it seems to be bugging you, it was "Shout to the Lord," written by Darlene Zschech.

Happy?

• Members

It was a week ago dude. I had sheet music, there was certainly no reason for me to remember the name of the song. I hadn't played it in over a year and a half. WTF? At any rate, since it seems to be bugging you, it was "Shout to the Lord," written by Darlene Zschech.

Happy?

no trouble remembering it now though:rolleyes:

• Members

Without getting into the sexuality issue, one thing I have experienced in these church band situations is that if the leader has any kind of "high-strung" personality, they can come off as flakey, disorganized, etc., just because they are busier than {censored} and trying to manage a WHOLE bunch of volunteers with varying skill levels. Chances are he thought you might already know the scoop or that he already told you.

The "3 rehearsal" rule sounds legit if it is one staffer managing a bunch of volunteers. Pretty much all the situations I have played in were where all us band members were paid hired guns and the choir was all volunteer, and I have seen them stagger the choir so new folks got a few rehearsals in before an actual service.

• Members

No, I mentioned he was gay because as part of the process of trying to go to the rehearsal, in speaking on the telephone I assumed initially that I was talking to a woman. Didn't really have to do with his gayness so much as his high-talking.

Did you not see the Seinfeld episode where "high-talkers" cause much confusion, where men speaking on the phone are mistaken for women? The reference to "not that there's anything wrong with that" is also a Seinfeld line.

If you're offended I apologize.

Yes, Seinfeld is probably my favorite all time comedy and I've seen all of the episodes many times, but no, I'm not offended personally, I just don't see the relevance of his being gay to the thread, that's all. It's like if you pointed out that he was fat, but that there's nothing wrong with that, and you weren't against fat people, and there are more fat people than you would think who are church band directors. Or like saying "my friend Bob, who's black". It doesn't further the story, but distracts from it and somewhat sidetracks it IMO.

• Members
Yes, Seinfeld is probably my favorite all time comedy and I've seen all of the episodes many times, but no, I'm not offended personally, I just don't see the relevance of his being gay to the thread, that's all. It's like if you pointed out that he was fat, but that there's nothing wrong with that, and you weren't against fat people, and there are more fat people than you would think who are church band directors. Or like saying "my friend Bob, who's black". It doesn't further the story, but distracts from it and somewhat sidetracks it IMO.

I'll work on my story-telling skills. ;)

At any rate, had the whole high-talking phone episode not occurred it would not have been relevant and wouldn't have been included.

• Members

He doesn't return calls.

He forgot to mention the four practice rule.

He forgot to bring the paperwork to sign up.

I think you're getting some passive resistance. Maybe he thinks he detects some homophobia?:confused:

• Members
I think you're getting some passive resistance. Maybe he thinks he detects some homophobia?
:confused:

I don't see how he could come to that conclusion. There's a gay person in one of the rock bands I'm in, I've worked in the past with gay persons, in both rock bands and in church bands, without any problems. The only reason it was relevant here was that I almost made a mistake on the phone by confusing him for a woman.

I think he's just flakey; and the preschool where he works during the day is about to begin school in a newly-finished building, so I'm sure he is busy with that.

• Members

No, he didn't return an e-mail. When I called about that, he took the call. He could've dodged the call.

I don't see how he could come to that conclusion. There's a gay person in one of the rock bands I'm in, I've worked in the past with gay persons, in both rock bands and in church bands, without any problems. The only reason it was relevant here was that I almost made a mistake on the phone by confusing him for a woman.

I think he's just flakey; and the preschool where he works during the day is about to begin school in a newly-finished building, so I'm sure he is busy with that.

I don't do organized religion, so I'm just guessing. But if the dude is that flakey it doesn't sound like a great band experience awaits you.

• Members

I don't do organized religion, so I'm just guessing. But if the dude is that flakey it doesn't sound like a great band experience awaits you.

It shouldn't be too bad, unlike a rock band it's much more formalized. Rehearsals the same time/place most every week, sheet music for all the songs, performances all in the same place. Actually I'd kinda prefer he be a smidge flakey and let me make my own calls on what I do on the songs (which is how he handled the first rehearsal), than be very together and be a control freak "note-for-note" type on the arrangements.

• Members

At any rate, since it seems to be bugging you, it was "Shout to the Lord," written by Darlene Zschech.

Oh yeah - I remember playing that one back in teh day.

I used to get "chastised" at times when we played "Jehovah Jireh", I'd really thump those octaves on bass (thing is, it was my "punk praise" and not a big "look at me" kind of deal, but even so I had to be careful to not draw too much attention to myself)

"Let no man say what tomorrow may bring" - if they're really "in the spirit" (and you share that belief and passion), then follow that instinct.

Archived