Coming back from hand injury?

• Members

I had surgery 3 weeks ago to re-attach a severed flexor tendon in my RH index finger. Since that time I have had my hand in a splint and a metal pin protruding 3/4" from the tip of the finger (pin goes down about 2" to immobilize the DIP joint). The pin comes out in 9 days and then I can start rehab to restore use of the finger.

So I can't do anything but play harmonica and post on internet forums (sorry). I would like to hear from those of you who have had to work through hand/finger injuries. Inspire me, dammit!! :)

Gruesome pics welcomed. Here's mine:

• Members

I had surgery 3 weeks ago to re-attach a severed flexor tendon in my RH index finger. Since that time I have had my hand in a splint and a metal pin protruding 3/4" from the tip of the finger (pin goes down about 2" to immobilize the DIP joint). The pin comes out in 9 days and then I can start rehab to restore use of the finger.

So I can't do anything but play harmonica and post on internet forums (sorry). I would like to hear from those of you who have had to work through hand/finger injuries. Inspire me, dammit!!
:)

How did it happen?

• Members

So I can't do anything but play harmonica and post on internet forums (sorry). I would like to hear from those of you who have had to work through hand/finger injuries. Inspire me, dammit!!
:)

I had a trigger finger fixed on my left hand. Its not as serious as what you had done. I was playing keys even before the stitches came out , but was just doing the root note thing with my left hand. I could not play guitar very well for a few months. My advice ,, just go with the flow and do your PT. Use the break to listen to alot of music, surf the net for things you are interested in, and practice harp. You might even work in vocals. If your re hab is going to be a few months,,,, sing some kereoke..work on harmony, etc. Spend the time working on skills you would like to develop or improve. With a right hand down... you might as well make the best of it

• Members

I install aftermarket automotive sunroofs as a day job, and one day I slipped up and caught my right hand between the index and middle finger knuckle on a freshly cut piece of sheet metal.. split my hand into a nice v... Luckily I missed any major tendons and after a month of staring at my ugly stitches I could play again with no long term effects... well except being really rusty at fingerpicking lol... You will pull through... just sucks for a while :)

• Members

In 1994 I cut my left middle finger almost completely off at the first knuckle in a work accident (my bandmates learned "I fought the saw and the saw won!" at a benefit they did for me). I had to have reconstructive surgery, a new tendon made from material taken from my wrist and a skin graft. It still took the doctor three weeks to decide not to amputate. But I was instructed not to play AT ALL for at least 3-4 months.

The first thing I did was take one of my guitars to the music store and have them restring it left handed. I was going to learn to play as a lefty if I couldn't have my finger. I actually started getting it, too though it was painfully slow. I also threw myself into slide guitar and figured if the lefty thing didn't pan out I'd be like Lowell George.

Long story short he saved the finger and after months of intense therapy I developed a lot of hand strength. In fact my hands got so strong I went from .009s to .010s, kept breaking them so went to .011s, kept breaking them so went to .012s....finally I learned to lighten up and ended up back with 11s.

It changed the way I played though, in my case for the better. It made me change some techniques and some new doors opened up for me in the way I pick, bend, pull off and hammer.

Though I'd never recommend it, overall the experience made me a better player. It certainly taught me never to take it for granted, because the ability to do it can be gone in a nanosecond.

• Members

In 1994 I cut my left middle finger almost completely off at the first knuckle in a work accident (my bandmates learned "I fought the saw and the saw won!" at a benefit they did for me). I had to have reconstructive surgery, a new tendon made from material taken from my wrist and a skin graft. It still took the doctor three weeks to decide not to amputate. But I was instructed not to play AT ALL for at least 3-4 months.

The first thing I did was take one of my guitars to the music store and have them restring it left handed. I was going to learn to play as a lefty if I couldn't have my finger. I actually started getting it, too though it was painfully slow. I also threw myself into slide guitar and figured if the lefty thing didn't pan out I'd be like Lowell George.

Long story short he saved the finger and after months of intense therapy I developed a lot of hand strength. In fact my hands got so strong I went from .009s to .010s, kept breaking them so went to .011s, kept breaking them so went to .012s....finally I learned to lighten up and ended up back with 11s.

It changed the way I played though, in my case for the better. It made me change some techniques and some new doors opened up for me in the way I pick, bend, pull off and hammer.

Though I'd never recommend it, overall the experience made me a better player. It certainly taught me never to take it for granted, because the ability to do it can be gone in a nanosecond.

What kind of saw did you use?,,,, i want to play like you?

• Members

I had surgery to fix my pinkie finger on the Right Hand. I had "Dupytuns Contracture" on that finger, which is a thickening and shrinking of the layer of flesh just under the skin of the palm. It can cause lumps or dimples in the skin of the palm, and can draw the fingers down into a bent position.

My pinkie was curled inward so it was useless for playing keys. (I play blues and boogie-woogie).

It took a while, but now it works fine, although I favor the ring finger, and use it instead of the pinkie sometimes.

Also, There is a woman who was born with deformed hands, and has only four fingers...she is a concert pianist who will amaze you....google "four finger pianist"...her name if I remember correctly is He Ah Lee.

Bottom line...you will probably be fine...:thu:

• Members

I was in a motorcycle accident four years ago - broke some bones, crushed and hamburgered my left ring finger, and cut up my middle finger pretty bad as well. Lots of therapy to regain mobility in the joints, plus years of playing time to rebuild the pad on my ring finger, now funny-looking and about an 1/8th inch shorter.

Still, lots of practice and I'm able to play what I feel is pretty well. It was a setback for a while, but it eventually turned me into a more accomplished four-finger player, as opposed to the three-finger style I was used to. The ring is still my weak finger - big bends and slides on heavy strings are doable - but I'm hardly complaining.

If you're looking for inspiration, google Django Reinhardt. It's what I do when I'm feelin' down.

• Members

Pat, I met a guy yesterday who cut half a finger off with a power saw, had it re-attached and he claims it works fine (BTW also turned out to be a guitar player). If I had waited any later for surgery I would probably have needed a tendon graft like you had- Doc told me it would have meant 2 operations and 4-5 months downtime though.

I cut my hand splint down to free up my middle finger, to make it possible to hold a guitar pick. Now I can play my {censored}ty version of Wildwood Flower on my $22 pawnshop Harmony acoustic so I'm happy for now. But I am going to be playing keys again, for better or worse, in little over a week- I'll make do with 9 fingers if need be.

• Members

Pat, I met a guy yesterday who cut half a finger off with a power saw, had it re-attached and he claims it works fine (BTW also turned out to be a guitar player). If I had waited any later for surgery I would probably have needed a tendon graft like you had- Doc told me it would have meant 2 operations and 4-5 months downtime though.

I cut my hand splint down to free up my middle finger, to make it possible to hold a guitar pick. Now I can play my {censored}ty version of Wildwood Flower on my $22 pawnshop Harmony acoustic so I'm happy for now. But I am going to be playing keys again, for better or worse, in little over a week- I'll make do with 9 fingers if need be.

Atta boy, but don't overdo it-trust me, healing properly takes time and if you rush it, it can take even longer than if you'd waited. I know it's hard though.

• Members

It certainly has changed my perspective. I am not crying over having to sell my Hammond/Leslie combo or worried about any kind of gear at all, I just want to play again.

• Members

I just took a good look at the pic you posted. Looks like they did a slick job on the surgery ,,,, enjoy your down time and chill out. Thats what that bottle of pills in the photo are for. Pop a couple and practice your cross harp

Archived